“Wonderful stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Charlottetown Backpackers Inn

Charlottetown Backpackers Inn
“Wonderful stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

My friend and I stayed here for two nights on our way to the East coast. Levi and the staff were incredibly welcoming, and very knowledgable of Charlottetown and PEI. The house was spotless, the included breakfast delicious, and the beds comfortable. It was located downtown and walking distance to restaurants and bars. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

I have been staying at Levi's hostel since it first opened. I live in Halifax but love to head over to lovely PEI every summer and always stay here. The house is lovely and has been well kept up and extremely clean. There are pleasant and very clean bathrooms (two private bathrooms - one with shower, sink and toilet + one with tub and hand held shower head as well as sink and toilet). There is also a small toilet and sink washroom off the kitchen as well as a communal washroom with two private shower stalls and one private toilet stall and a shared sink. It really feels like coming home when I stay there - super friendly staff, lovely public rooms, excellent breakfast every morning included (juice, coffee/tea, fruit, banana bread, toast...), a great kitchen to use, outside BBQ and picnic table, funky garage turned into a pool hall/music room seriously the list just goes on and on. The rooms are very clean and have decent bunk beds with lovely white sheets and duvets (no one is allowed to bring in any sheets or linens or even stuffed animals so that they maintain a clean property). They windows open and fans are provided in all the rooms to make sure everyone has a great sleep even on the warmest nights. Although I have never stayed in a private room I have seen the one tucked up in the attic (with a gas fireplace) but you do have to walk through a three bed room to get to it.

The ambiance of the hostel is first class - lovely people who will help with any request you have but since the owner lives there too it is well maintained and well managed. The location is first rate as well in a charming residential neighborhood with lots of street parking all around (I drive there) but close to everything - downtown, pubs, restaurants, Founder's Hall (visitors centre and attraction) seriously you can't get a better place to stay. The absolute best part for me is that when I arrive I instantly find friends and people to do things with (which usually works better for them as I work as a tour guide and love to show people around and take them in my car). The magic of PEI is made that much more impressive by this AWESOME hostel. You will not regret for one second staying here!!! I (being over 40) super appreciate that quiet time is actually cared about at this hostel - although there are enough places to go and party and hear live music just blocks away if that's your thing. I have travelled the world as a tour guide (China, Kenya, Europe, Asia...) and stayed at many hostels but this is the best I have every had the pleasure of staying at (and do so year after year). Well Done Levi!!

Room Tip: I am a single traveller and prefer the rooms on the main and second floor - not so much the attic r...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Holmes Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

This has now set the standard of hostel living! From the location, to the staff, to the facilities, everything was fantastic!

It was located downtown, with excellent restaurants and even inexpensive food options all withing walking distance. There were bars very close and thankfully Levi (the owner) knows them all and give you options for something to do everynight. If you are more into checking out scenery, there is a board walk, beach, the Lieutenant Governors house and many other destinations near by.

I can't say enough about the staff either. They are awesome people and actually interact with the patrons staying in the hostel. I was laughing and smiling the entire time. They alone would make me return!

The facilities were perfect! There was a good sized common room with a flatscreen tv, on demand cable service, and books for people to read. The kitchen was excellent and had enough room for everyone's items. The breakfast included excellent banana bread as well as toast, fruit, juice and coffee. Also, seating outside was excellent, with a number of picnic tables and other seating all around the house. And my favourite part was the garage. Or what I'm deeming the "Garage of Awesomeness." There are records you can play while shooting pool on the pool table, shooting darts or playing a number of different arcade games.

I would absolutely positively return to this hostel!

Thanks for the stay Levi!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Zwiesel, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

I have been travelling in North America for 9 weeks and I have never come across a better hostel in all of my travelling time. It is simply the best hostel I have ever stayed at.
The staff is marvellous and always helpful. They really know where to go and have great hints for what you can do on the isle. The owner is a well experience traveller himself, so he knows what a backpacker and/ or traveller really wants.
The breakfast is more than just the normal toast, jam, butter affair. You get banana bread (so yummy), great coffee (better than in most other hostels), juice and fresh fruit, which is great.
The dorm was spacious and clean, with comfortable beds and fresh and clean linen. The travellers were quiet after 11 p.m. so you could get a good nights sleep.
The common room is huge with a great TV, a good book exchance, free to use computers and comfy couches. There is a lawn in front of the hostel were you can watch the world and the people walk by. On the side of the house there is a nice BBQ and some benches to sit on on a sunny day.
I actually can't believe how great this hostel was. They make you feel warm, welcome and special. The location is great, the staff amazing, breakfast super. I really wished every hostel could be as good as this one is. So if I am ever given the chance to return I definitely will come back to this place.

Room Tip: I really liked the 4 bed girls dorm (Room #1), but I didn't hear any complaints, that one room w...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Jaco, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I have been through PEI a few times, every time this is the place I stay. In the centre of town, near on the sites, restaurants, and bars. The owner was a super cool dude, invited us to an awesome BBQ (good chef) and he drove me and my friends to the beach for an afternoon. Rooms are clean, beds are comfy, games room is great. Breakfast available all morning. Organised and well staffed. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Brugg, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

The hostel is very centrally located and therefore a good starting point for trips inside Charlottetown, but as Charlottetown is central, for any kind of trip on PEI.
At this time of the year, some students life there which creates an interesting mix. Levi's huge movie collection has surely something to offer if you're not up to going out in the evening.

The included breakfast consits of bread, jam, the obligatory peanut butter, fruits, orange juice and banana bread. I hate bananas, but I like the bread nonetheless :-)

The bathrooms and showers were not as comfortable and clean (but this was clearly due to the other guests and not because of lack of cleaning) as I've seen in other hostels.

All in all a cozy place that gets familial with the time of the stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

This is now my third stay at this hostel!

CBI, as it is affectionately known by its staff, is a home away from home is a suberb location that offers more than just a bed for the night. The staff are exceptional coming from across Canada and even the globe to work at this little place that shines with charm and character.

I loved the small touches such as the bed being made when I arrived - no hassle with pillow cases and sheets! There are real duvets instead of cheap blankets and I had a fantastic nights sleep, I awoke the next morning fully rested and ready to go to be greeted with a free breakfast. Home made banana bread is brilliant! I loved the breakfast as everyone came and sat and ate together, discussing their plans for their stay and I arranged a day trip with a couple of other people up to Cavendish for the day. The staff were also on hand to offer their advice and suggestions on what to do and where to go - I went up to East Point and North Cape based on staff recommendations and was not disappointed!

The hostel is located a stone's throw from Downtown and is great for shopping and late night drinking which again the staff are happy to tell you where to go; when I visited they had just implemented a notice board which I thought was a great idea to let everyone know what was going on around the Island.

I was fortunate enough to stay over the weekend and was invited to music trivia with all the staff and other guests and the local pub (of which there are many!) It was a little harder than I imagined but the atmosphere was great and everyone was happy just to participate.

I would recommend a stay here to anyone visiting Charlottetown; especially in the summer when the Island has so much going on.

I stayed in the private room and although more pricey than your other hostels it is well worth it! The bed was so comfortable, I had a TV in my room, towels water bottles and even air conditioning which was great for the warm evenings,

I have also stayed in the dorm rooms and have absolutely no complaints of this fantastic place. Well done to Levi (the well travelled owner) and all the SUPERB staff I encountered!

Room Tip: The double private attic room is gorgeous and well worth the extra money; especially if there are t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends