“One of great hostel in canada”

Charlottetown Backpackers Inn
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed at female dorm.
There are free breakfast - tea, coffee, fresh fruits, bread, banana bread and juice. And there are free PEI potatos! I love it.

Everything is so clean. There are enough toilets and shower booth. The beds are so comportable.

Kitchen has everything too (tools, spicies, oven..) and so clean. It's not clouded because there are not many people in the hostel.

The hostel is pretty small (there are not many rooms and guests) but I like it.

Moreover the staffs are so frendly and helpful. Wi-fi is great too. Everything travelers need is there.

I would stay here again if I come back to charlottetown. Thanks!

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 3 September 2013

When we got to the Charlottetown Backpackers Inn, we were told that 2 people will be sleeping in a private bedroom and the third person would be sleeping in the 6 beds dorm...What? I've been to many hostels and they usually try to accomodate groups by allowing them to sleep together specialy when requested once booking.

Anyhow, we were told that a larger group had checked in the day before and due to special requests (they wanted to stay together of course) they had to allocate us other beds. This is all good as it was a decision made by the manager or owner but a call to let us know about it would have been really appreciated.

After voicing our frustration, we were advised that the 2 persons in the private room would be charged and the 3rd person in the dorm will be free of charge. Once gain this was all good but money was not the problem here. I had insisted in taking my friends into a hostel so that they could enjoy the community feeling and get to meet some travellers and share stories and this was definitly a big bummer.

Other than that early deception, I have to say that the staff was extremely helpful, nice and knowledgeable and ready to help. I met some amazing guests in the kitchen and in the dorm.

Plenty of space in the dorm while the private 2 beds room at the entrance was a bit small. Bed was comfy. The night was warm but still good. The 11pm silence policy was not really enforced but it's a nice initiative. Also I'm not complaining about it as I got to meet and chat away with other guests after the night out. All of this in low tone of course :-)

The next day, we rented bikes ($12 for half day until 2pm) and biked around town. The bikes were old and a bit rusty, I had to come back to the hostel and replace mine due to a chain issue, but all in all the ride was nice.

Breakfast was small but complete with fruits, tea/coffee, banana cake, juice and bread.

Nice staff, awesome location, great chill/relax room, with comfy sogfas, books, dvds, games, 2 computers, etc.

I have no problem coming back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed 5 nights in the attic 4 bed room, this is definitely my favourite hostel I've stayed in thus far. It's fairly centrally located, about a 15min walk from where the Maritime bus service drops you off and a hop skip and a jump from anything you could need.

The staff were the highlight of my stay, everyone was so lovely and friendly! It felt like staying in a holiday house with a bunch of friends instead of travelling alone and sleeping in a house full of strangers. As I walked in the front door the first thing that I was asked was if I would like to join everyone at a trivia night in an hour or so, and I did quite a few different things with various staff and other hostel guests.

The hostel itself is in pretty good shape, and kept very clean. They have a large, fully equipped kitchen where they serve breakfast in the morning (sliced seasonal fruit, toast, banana bread, tea, juice&coffee). Sitting around the table and talking to other guests in the morning was a fantastic way to meet people.

There is a 'shed' for want of a better word out the back, with a pool table, drinks fridge, comfy chairs and a HUGE record collection which you are free to enjoy any time - also a good place to take a late night drinking so as not to disturb those sleeping in the main house.There is also a lounge room with a television, comfy sofas and computers available to use.

The only 'downside' to my stay was the stairs up to the attic room are practically vertical and being the attic room it does get quite warm in there, however there is air con and a fan to alleviate this.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I just came back from 9 days at the hostel and can only say again what a WONDERFUL place it is to stay. I really feel like it is my home when I am there and the owner and staff really care about you and making your stay there as comfortable as possible.
Clean and lovely rooms and bathrooms, wonderful common areas (living room, kitchen, garage/games room) and a great kitchen and outdoor bbq (with picnic tables).

I was honestly sad to leave and kept delaying my drive back across the bridge to head home to Halifax. PEI is a magical place in the summer and the hostel allows for instant friends (if you want them) and lots of suggestions about what to do while there. All the little touches (fans in the rooms, free PEI potatoes for anyone to cook with, lovely bed linens...) only add to what is a charming place to stay. See you guys next year for my annual jaunt!!!

Room Tip: I personally like the small four bed room (room 1) but sometimes it is co-ed or used for groups of f...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed in a private room with shared bathroom. Everything is super clean. Levi, the owner, runs a pretty tight ship there. His staff is wonderful, very friendly & helpful. Breakfast is very good and included in the price. You can buy fresh or cooked lobster around the corner at Water-Prince Corner Shop, located at the corner of Water and Prince Street, and bring it to the hostel. DELICIOUS!
Why not finish the meal and stroll to the wharf and get a big COW ice cream cone. That's PEI experience!
There is lots of bars and restaurants near the hostel, and all the tourist sites are close by. Ideal to walk!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I was so nervous and not an experienced "backpacker" this is the place I could afford the rest of my time in PEI would be covered by work as I was there for a conference. The owner and staff made my stay comfortable the rooms were very very clean. The home was large plenty of seating and wi-fi computers offered. I would definately stay again if opportunity presented. Hope my snoring did not keep the others awake

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I stayed at several HI hostels in the Maritimes and this was my favorite. It's only a minute walk to the waterfront and the historic downtown area. The heritage building is well-maintained, clean, and offers computer workstations, wireless internet, barbeque area, games, TV, parking along the street, everything you'd expect, plus breakfast. They strictly follow the 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. quiet time -- no shoes on the hardwood floor after 11:00 and guests need to enter/exit through the side entrance. Rooms have passcode locks. I stayed for two nights and found the staff to be excellent. The only rental bike with a rack was much too large for me, so the staff member lent me his personal backpack (I suggested they purchase racks or baskets for all their bikes). If I ever have the chance to go back to Charlottetown, I'll stay here without question.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo