“good food, friendly server”

Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar
Ranked #18 of 260 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Price range: US$9 - US$24
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Merchantman Fresh Seafood & Oyster Bar excels in seafood and local favourites while offering a warm and inviting atmosphere. If it's oysters you're after, look no further - our raw bar has a wide selection of local oysters from Malpeque Bay to Colville Bay and everywhere in between. The next time you're looking for a great evening out, be sure to stop by the Merchantman! Hours Sunday- Wednesday 11-9pm (kitchen) 12am (bar) Thursday-Saturday 11-10pm (kitchen) 1am (bar)
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My steak sandwich was very tasty and my husband enjoyed his freshly made hamburger. The service was very good and the server was very nice and efficient.

1  Thank Nana T

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very well prepared seafood dished. Fresh fish, lobster, clams, oysters etc. service is good and prices are moderate. Consequently, the dining room fills up quickly. In summer time, dining on outdoor patios is very enjoyable.

1  Thank SANTOSH G
Reviewed 20 July 2014

A while back I wrote a scathing review on this restaurant as it was changing ownership. Well we decided to give it another try. A 360degree turn. The food of which I had a steak sandwich was perfect. The server was ever so delightful, very accommodating and with a perfect sense of humour. The food, aambiance and service were great amd I will be revisiting this delightful pub restaurant again in the near future. A must stop in Charlottetown.

1  Thank PatskiMontreal
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I read the reviews from a little over a year ago since anything older was probably reviews of previous ownership/management. Most of the reviews were glowing with only a few negatives. I should have paid more attention!
This is our first and, most likely, our only trip to P.E.I. We definitely wanted to try a local, non-franchise restaurant and thought we'd found it at Merchantman. We were greeted and seated promptly in this lovely place. The decor was warm and welcoming and beautiful. Our server was quick to take our drink and appetizer order and she was friendly and engaging.
The sangria we ordered was awful. Our server tried to remedy the taste, but it actually hurt it. Mine was taken back. My husband made do with his. Our oysters arrived and were wonderful...and half price due to an early bird special. They were served on a generous bed of ice with plenty of lemons, minnionett, and cocktail sauce. They were the best part of our meal.
The lobster & crab spring rolls were not available this night, so I picked fish and chips. My husband picked the Halibut tacos. My plate arrived with a piece of fish that was barely crisp on one side and soggy on the other with their "fresh cut" fries on the side. The fries were neither crisp, nor hot and tasted of being reheated from an earlier batch. The fish tacos got good comments from my husband, but the new potatoes in garlic butter didn't meet his expectations and were generally unremarkable. He only ate 1 or 2 of them.
Our server apologized for my meal and asked if I wanted to order something else, but I couldn't do it. I thought dessert might redeem the meal. I ordered a berry and lemon parfait while my husband ordered carrot cake. The cake was delicious; moist and flavorful, but a very small portion for $7. The parfait was beautifully presented, but there wasn't a hint of lemon in the pink stuff in the dish that was sprinkled with a few blueberries and small pieces of strawberries. I couldn't eat it. Our server removed my dessert and left to bring our check.
We were surprised when the manager, Isaac, showed up at our table. He was very apologetic and offered to do whatever he could to make us happy. We weren't hungry, so a new meal wasn't an option. He offered to let us come back tomorrow for lunch on him. That wasn't an option either, so he discounted our bill and apologized again.
We left knowing that if we were able, we would give this restaurant a second chance based solely on Isaac's sincerity and promise of a better meal.
Maybe we just visited on a bad night. I think Merchantman deserves another chance.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Loved everything about this place, lovely ambiance, great service great servers, good deck
Bit the food is stand out, I had 1 dozen oysters, warm calamari salad and a very imaginative smoked salmon board.
Everyone I was with all had good food and a great time

1  Thank spindoctor_9