“Should have done the full day!”

Aventure Plein Air Inukshuk
Ranked #131 of 1,955 things to do in Quebec
Boston, Massachusetts
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Should have done the full day!”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We had a great time dogsledding with Aventure Plein Air Inukshuk. We don't speak French, but Nathalie was very helpful on the phone and helped us make our reservation well ahead of our trip. Language was not a problem on the trail either with any of the guides. Our two children, 10 and 12, went with a guide and got to steer with the guide for most of the adventure in the woods and the meadows. They had a blast and thought the guides were really nice! My wife and I had our own sled and learned that it wasn't just about standing on the runners and looking pretty; it was actual work making those turns and helping the dogs out on the uphill and at the starts. Still, we had a great time and wished we had done the full day, instead of just the morning. The dogs were really friendly and just beautiful. We all agreed that it was the best part of our vacation. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

1 Thank Jose G
SteeveNolin, Propriétaire at Aventure Plein Air Inukshuk, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Hello JG,
Please be assured that I will pass your good words to Nathalie and to all our team. I am pleased to learn that we will see you again one day. Thanks

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Highlight of our vacation”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We spent 6 days in Quebec during Winter Carnival and decided we wanted to try out dog sledding. We opted for the full day package of 1/2 day sleigh riding and 1/2 day dog sledding. Though the price seems a little steep at first ($145 pp) after the day was over both me and my husband agreed that it was totally worth it!
We arrived at 9am as agreed and were led to the stables which were just a few minutes walk away. People at the barn were very friendly and told us about their horses. The owner and sleigh driver Henry speaks little English but he tried his best to communicate with us and tell about his property, woods and the animals there. He truly is a great guy to be around and the sleigh trail is absolutely gorgeous - just woods / trees covered with snow and peace all around (with some sleigh bells jingling). To warm us up, he made us saw some logs and jump-rope in the snow in the middle of the woods. :) After that we were led back to the dog-sledding office where we were served a very tasty meal - soup, main course, dessert and coffee.
The second half of the day consisted of greeting and hugging the super-friendly huskies, driving instructions lesson and off we went. The speed was paced fast enough to have a blast but not too fast where one would feel out of control. The guides made several stops along the way where both me and my husband could take turns being the ''driver'' and also make some fun photos.
We were sad when the day was over as we had so much fun and it was definitely the highlight of our trip. Though originally we though of it as something we would just try out once, I am sure that if we ever go to a place where dog-sledding is offered, we will do it again without a doubt!
Suggestion - to enjoy your day, make sure you dress appropriately (warm boots, windproof outer layer, thick gloves, scarf, hat etc.). Being cold and uncomfortable can ruin your experience.

1 Thank Traveler_Liene
SteeveNolin, Propriétaire at Aventure Plein Air Inukshuk, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Thank you for the good words. I am glad that the experience you have enjoyed. I hope that you will come back to see us if you plan to mush again one day.
Cornelius, North Carolina, United States
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“So Much Fun”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Dog Sledding was something we never really considered but became enticed by a brochure in the lobby of our hotel in Quebec. We had a terrific time and so glad we decided to do this. The scenery is beautiful and the terrain changes from meadows to forests. We went in mid-December so it was very early in the season and we had the opportunity to cut new trails which was really fun. It was also nice to be provided nice boots so I didn't have wet clothing all day long. Our guide was terrific, we learned enough to be comfortable on the sleds before we left. The only suggestion I would make is to try to have an even number in your group, because it is 2 to a sled. This was definitely a highlight during our winter vacation and Aventure Plein Air Inukshuk was a great choice for the event.

Visited December 2013
SteeveNolin, Propriétaire at Aventure Plein Air Inukshuk, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
I thank you for having taken the time to write this comment. It is nice to read that people appreciate what we are doing.

About your suggestion, I would like to specify that you do not have to be an even number. In this case, the single person will probably be paired with one of our guides. You know what, this person will learn even more about our wonderful profession.
Buffalo, New York
“The owner has no soul”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I were SO EXCITED to come and dog sled. It was going to be a dream come true. We got in our SUV at 9:15, to get there a half an hour early, AND OUR TRANSMISSION BROKE! We couldn't believe it. For a half an hour my husband laid in the muck under our car trying to fix it while I balled my eyes out. We called the company ten minutes to our scheduled start time, and were met with "Well you are going to be charged full price if you are not here in 5 minutes" We asked other options, and they did tell us we could come later that day and could pay over $140.00 more for a longer package and $66.00 for a shuttle. :-/ Getting an estimate of this could cost us up to $6,000.00 to fix the truck we decided we just couldn't commit. I continued to cry and cry and cry :-( Roaming, my phone kept losing signals, I would spend a half an hour trying to call back, and get a busy tone." We called and spoke with the owner about three times, each time it was rude, arrogant, and only about money. We COMPLETELY understand their policy of if you miss your appointment you get charged full price. What we didn't understand is how she NEVER said she was sorry. I can't imagine she didn't know how we felt after missing our appointment, knowing we are still getting charged, and two tow trucks, 8 hours and $1,000.00 in repairs and standing in the freezing cold in a foreign country. She added so much disappointment to an already horribly sad and disappointing vacation. We just wanted someone to empathize, and say "I am sorry" My husband and I are both convinced she has no soul. If I was the business owner I would have done things so different.

I am sorry I could not comment on the dog sledding experience itself. Believe me I would have loved to. :-(

Visited February 2014
SteeveNolin, Owner at Aventure Plein Air Inukshuk, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
This season, I promised to myself to respond to all comments received on this site, good or bad. But respond to this comment is not easy. Especially after reading the e-mail that you have sent to my wife. For sharing my life with her for more than 15 years and for having two young children with her, I can certify that she has a soul. She might not have said that she was sorry for you. But what she has tried to do, is to find a solution to help you come and live the experience that you had plan to live with us.

In the email that you sent to my wife, you wrote that you did not enjoy your honeymoon because many things went wrong." Please be assured that we are sorry for you. We wish that the rest of your relationship will be more pleasant. If this is not the case, I hope you'll find elsewhere from my wife, the person responsible for your misfortune.
Wheatley, Ontario, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great Experience.”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We booked our group of 10 people and we were accommodated on very short notice. Facilities are clean and well kept. Dogs are pleasant and very happy! Guides and hosts were knowledgeable and funny. We learned a lot about "mushing" in a short lesson before we headed out with our own team of 6 dogs! You can choose to ride with a guide and if you are a quick learner you can drive a sled yourself. The guides paid close attention to all participants to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride. The guide even stopped to ensure everyone had a chance to take pictures in the beautiful scenery! I would highly recommend visiting. We had a great time and doing the 50 minute ride was perfect. I was a great morning and then we still had the rest of the day to enjoy other activities.

Visited February 2014
SteeveNolin, Propriétaire at Aventure Plein Air Inukshuk, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
I am very glad that you have enjoyed your experience with us . We hope to see you soon.