“Comfortable, nice hotel”

Hampton Suites Laval Quebec
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Laval
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel for three nights in mid-December, and found it a quite comfortable, nice place to stay. The room was standard Hampton Inn - clean, comfortable, nice bed, choice of firm or soft pillows, desk (with a kind of low chair), large, nice bathroom with lots of counter space, multiple hooks for towels (so many hotels these days seem to not offer a place to hang towels despite saying you should hang up towels to indicate reuse to save the environment), shower over tub, etc. There was free wired internet on the desk, but wifi was extremely spotty (I was on the 3rd floor) and they say at the front desk that it's only available in the lobby area.

I'm a light sleeper, but most nights I had no problem - the heater I thought was maybe not quiet, but of the type that didn't click on and off with a big roar, so was fairly unobtrusive and provided some white noise. The last night I was there there was a couple in the next room talking and laughing loudly and banging furniture around at like 3am, and I heard all of this very clearly, but I didn't have any noise problems the previous two nights - not sure if it's because they weren't there, or what.

There is an indoor pool I didn't use, and a very small gym consisting of three fairly low-end pieces of Precor cardio equipment and a TV. There was a stationary bike, an elliptical, and a treadmill, as well as a water dispenser and small towels. Not much equipment, but better than nothing.

I found the TV channel selection slightly lacking but mostly because they didn't have Global, and I had been wanting to watch a show on Global. There was a small "business center" (a desk, computer, and printer) where you could print your boarding pass.

They provided a complimentary breakfast each morning from something like 7-10am. I missed it one morning and had to rush two other mornings, but what I saw seemed reasonable (and fairly typical for a Hampton Inn). There were the usual hotel strange eggs and bacon, a waffle maker, various muffins and danishes, yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, fruit salad, juice, coffee, and tea. The breakfast was served off the lobby lounge area, which seemed comfortable with a large TV and a fireplace.

The hotel is located right next door to an IGA, which I found convenient for buying bottled water (though there is also a little "market" for drinks, snacks, and small essentials in the hotel). The hotel recommended a nice little Italian restaurant - Terracyna - almost across the street when I was in a hurry to find dinner before an event I had to go to. The food and service were great and super-friendly. It's also located near a lot of other dining and shopping options, since it's right by a lot of shopping plazas, and very near the Carrefour Laval. I never went into Montreal since I was there for an event in Boisbriand, but it was a fairly quick 15 minutes to Boisbriand and St-Eustache. Parking was free, and I never had trouble finding parking partly b/c the Hampton Inn parking lot seems to overlap the EconoLodge parking lot (located right behind it), so I sometimes parked in the EconoLodge parking.

Overall the service was good and professional, the hotel was comfortable, clean, and well-kept, the breakfast, internet, and parking were all free and good, and the location was reasonable (though as I said, I never tried going into Montreal so I don't know how convenient that is). I'd definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 11 October 2011

We usually stay in downtown Montreal, but decided to stay in Laval this time. The neighborhood is ok, but there isn't much to do within walking distance. But the room was immaculate, as always, which is why Hampton is always our first choice. The beds and pillows were very comfortable, and the staff was friendly and professional.
I am a very light sleeper, and we stayed on the first floor, and it was pretty quiet, which was nice.
My only small complaints are the loud air conditioning unit in the room, the ice machine was broken on our floor, and the lack of hot breakfast items. Breakfast is supposed to be served until 10am, but there were no more eggs at 9:30am, and a lot of people were disappointed that they had only bacon, with no eggs, and no one came to replenish them. But I guess for a free breakfast, it's sufficient.
Overall a good choice.

Room Tip: I always prefer a room on the top floor if given the option.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LolaEastGreenwich
Reviewed 6 October 2011

The staff here are incredible and get to know you by name. The rooms are comfortable and clean and location is great.
It includes a great breakfast and there is coffee and tea available around the clock. (just a nice touch)
Highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We found this hotel, last minute, for a quick overnight in Montreal and had no choice but to book as almost all hotels were booked solid for the August long weekend. As there was only one room left for our family of 4, we had to opt for a 'smoking' room. The check in was very professional, easy and quick and they made us feel very welcome. The room was nice and clean but had a very, very thick aroma of old, stale cigarettes. Unfortunately, we couldn't do anything about transferring to another room, so when we went out for dinner later, I picked up some air freshener from a local supermarket and that helped. The hotel is out in a very residential area but was very quiet indeed. There were many different options for dinner within walking distance and/or a short drive. The front desk staff were extremely helpful in our decision making for dinner.
The beds were some of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in...and the small sitting area was a nice little place to chill before dinner.
The morning's complimentary breakfast had many nice offerings, including hot, poached eggs, ham and english muffins, a variety of muffins, breads, cereals, fruit and yogurt. They even had a Belgium waffle making station...fantastic. The only really big problem, is that they kept running out of hot items. We got there just before a huge rush and although we were happy with what we got, many people started to get impatient. The one woman who was trying to keep everything filled was obviously running ragged and the people were giving her a very hard time. All in all though, the breakfast is very good, albiet unorganized but the only problem were how nasty the patrons of the hotel were acting...shameful!
I would stay in this hotel again, if I was through Laval in the future.

2  Thank jojoasalock
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We booked for two nights. Rooms was clean and well organized but the rest was not.

The hotel was short staffed and on both mornings that we were there (July 30 & 31), the breakfast was very poorly organized and the staff could not cope with the guests. Not enough food was put out, long queues, Inadequate seating arrangemt for guests, and very dirty breakfast area with litter all iver the floor. Yes the hotel was full but then they should've been staffed accordingly to manage and serve the guests.

The pool, which we were really looking to taking our toddler to was very dirty and so was the pool area, again not well serviced, obviously not coping with the guests.

We feel we were robbed of a good stay as the Hotel did not make enough support arrangements even though they did take on all the bookings. I say that if they can't service the crowds then they shouldn't take the bookings.

What could've redeemed the hotel was if the front desk staff or management came forward and made

So think twice before you book here.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We picked this hotel after an exhaustive search of hotels in and around Montreal. This one offered reasonable rates and an indoor pool - a must for a kids (9&12), free parking and free breakfast. Keep in mind you will need a car to get into Montreal and you will pay quite a bit to park the car in the city at all attractions. We were not disappointed. The hotel was clean and well maintained. The breakfast offered a variety of hot and cold choices including fresh made waffles. The breakfast area was small and crowded especially on the weekend. The pool was large although a bit too warm for our liking. The hotel is located in a busy area near a food store and strip malls. Great ice cream place across the street. Definitely needed our GPS to find our way in and out of Montreal from the hotel. The only complaints we had was no refrigerator which we expected and WiFI only in the lobby area. Can recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an affordable way to visit Montreal.

1  Thank BeneViator
Reviewed 25 July 2011

This hotel may not be the best located in Laval - at first blush, it appears to be on a stretch of road that is a bit run down - and the front desk didn't reassure me by telling me at check-in not to leave any valuables in my car "as a precaution." But after driving around the next morning I felt it was fine, and just a short drive to lots of restaurants and shopping. It's also a quick drive to the Montmorency metro station, so very convenient to downtown Montreal. Breakfast is included in the rate, which helps make this a very good value. Avoid the scrambled eggs (clearly powdered) like the plague however. Guest room was quite roomy (we booked the "larger suite" - it's not a suite in the sense of a separate bedroom, just one big room, but it does have a wet sink, micro and fridge which is very nice). Staff was very helpful. Small but clean indoor pool area. Plenty of parking. Property is well-maintained and attractive.

1  Thank boardom