“Fair in terms of cost but poorly prepared food”

Au Biniou Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 696 Restaurants in Laval
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Au Biniou is a french restaurant opened in Laval since 1986.
Reviewed 4 February 2013

we went as 2 couples saturday February 2nd and we both had benn before and things were good. Unfortunately, we think they were overbooked and under prepared. The service was long, and the staff knew it as well. They came and apologised several times and in the end, after almost a hour, we recieved our orders. We had to return the 2 orders of Bavette as they were raw (beyond blue). The deer was also blue but we ate it anyway as we were too hungry at this point. They offered us digestifs on the house as compensation. It is too bad because we had both had good experiences previously however before going back, I would ask how busy they expect to be because when in a hurry the quality of the food suffered greatly.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

First and foremost, I ate at the Sainte Eustache establishment. I am amazed at the glowing reviews for the restaurant, given that only 1 of the 4 services received was of edible quality.

I am not a difficult person, yet I do expect to eat good french food in a french restaurant. The canard confit (both my spouse's and mine) were considerably burned and the meat was dry and inedible. It looked more like burnt chicken than anything else. The presentation was pathetic and the I left the poor thing there in the plate without eating it.

Only good points to this place: excellent service and reasonably priced wines. As for the food, go somewhere else.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

They serve an array of crepes which are delicious, a nice selection of wine at a good price, meat are also very good. Nice atmosphere.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Very good food in a nice cozy dining room. Great for a tete a tete but service was so so long. From the appetizer to main entree it took over half hour. It's the second time this happens to us.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

This nice little restaurant is in a restored 1800's home tucked a little bit off the beaten path. I've been through here many times and never noticed it before and probably wouldn't have given it a second glance if the hotel we were staying at hadn't recommended it wholeheartedly. Their recommendation turned out to be a good one.

We chose to eat on the patio. The ambiance was ok, nothing great. The view consisted of an apartment building where someone's granny sat on her balcony and watched us eat the whole time. Other times were young kids thinking they were cool driving up and down blasting crummy music from their rusting ten year old cars. Although they looked like fools, we made comedy of them which helped to not dampen the experience.

The service was quite decent. Our waitress explained their various offerings and although appearing to lose patience at one point, held herself together quite well overall. Water was constantly topped up, each dish arrived with good timing.

Each dish was well prepared and nicely presented. I found the venison with currant sauce to be perfectly cooked, pleasing taste yet not particularly adventerous. The flavour was there, textures weren't ambitious, spices were simplistic and rather lacking. The house salad was really quite bland and boring. I realize that it's not always easy to make a salad pop, but I've seen it done and they could have put a lot more thought into it to get something more exciting to eat.

The crepe for desert was a definite highlight. It was perfect. Paper thin, somewhat chewy, a substantial size. It was filled with ice cream and bananas and topped with a chocolate sauce. My partner thought it would get the better of me, but it tasted so good I eagerly ate the whole thing.

Really it's a good experience and decent dishes. Although it fell short on a culinary level I would certainly go back and try other dishes. I'd be tempted to sit inside next time to get away from the goons.