“May have been a bad day..”

Maison Habanera Cigars
Ranked #3 of 10 Shopping in Laval
More attraction details
Owner description: Maison Habanera Cigares. Specialty tobacco store. Visibility of Products from, Honduras, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua... Humidors made of spanish cedar. For adults only, 18 years and older.
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The moment that I walked in the store I was greeting by a lady with a smile and a hello. Very pleasant. As I looked around, I saw a lot of cigar paraphernalia, but no cigars, unusual for a cigar store. I asked the lady if she had a particular cigar that I was looking for, a Luis Martinez Hamilton Robusto from Nicaragua. She said that she didn't. So I asked her what else she had.. She then brought me to a small adjacent room where the humidors were kept. She apologized for the almost empty cabinets saying that next week would be better. Problem being that I was there now and wasn't impressed. The lighting was dim and there was a lack of identification on the cigar boxes. I asked if she had a list of cigars that I could see to choose from, no. So I asked her advice on a mild cigar with an easy draw and she gave me one from the cabinet. I have no idea what brand she gave me (my fault, I should have written it down for future reference as I usually do). So, hopefully when I do light up, it will be enjoyable.

1  Thank snake4950

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

So I'm 18. I am a beginner cigar smoker and often feel overlooked when entering cigar shops. Fortunately, when I entered la Maison Habanera, I was treated as any other older and experienced cigar smoker. I am just getting started and got so many useful information in a single visit. Of course, I don't feel as if I was a pro now but I feel like I left that store a lot smarter and very enthusiastic to pursue my cigar learning process. Also, the vendor (Raphael if I look and the other reviews) was very professional and was very much able to place himself as the client, which was I in this case. I definitely recommend this cigar shop to anybody living on the north shore and in montreal as it is very much worth the detour. I will most definitely be visiting the store again and which a lot of success to the shop as it is well deserved!

3  Thank Charles_reviewer
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Been going for years , wouldn't buy my cigars anywhere else! Love the selection of great cigars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank George8625
habanera02, Owner at Maison Habanera Cigars, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you so much.
It is of the most importance to have loyal customers.
It warms the heart even in this cold winter days to read such good and sincere letter.
All the best to you until next time!!

Reviewed 31 December 2012

Hi I recommend this place to anyone. I went in there at the beginning of Dec to buy a humidor for my husband for Xmas. Rafael (I beleive that was his name) explained so much to me. All about humidors and cigars. I bought hubby a humidor there and hubby was thrilled with his gift. My only question to Rafael is it seems that the herogometer (i hope thats what its called) is stuck at 40.....and from what I remember, it should be more at 72.....what next? take care

4  Thank Cathy g
habanera02, Owner at Maison Habanera Cigars, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

For the hygrometer. I recommend that you take it off from the humidor. If it is incorporated in a way that you can see it with out opening the humidor. then you should use both hands one to hold it from outside. we don't want it to fall. And with the other hand push from inside with three fingers. Once you got it out from the humidor. We should do a shock treatment. It consist of taken a damp hot towel in which we will wrap the hygrometer for at least 30 minutes. It should unclog the needle. It will stimulate a jump off humidity. We should consider that analog hygrometers are more symbolic and they supply a reading in high and low humidity. They are easily in the 10 percentage of error. But give us a estimate. Generally below 55% add distill water. And more than 65% we should check to see if the cigars are too humid by squeezing the foot (the part you light). If the cigar indents more than 2 mm on each side it could very well be too humid.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Albeit a little off the beaten path for many, you will be quite satisfied with this little cigar shop.
Many places sell cigars, however, most tobacco shops haven't a clue as to the product they are trying to sell you.
Rafael, on the other hand, is very knowledgable about cigars and takes great pleasure in welcoming you and assisting you in making a choice.
Cuban, Honduras, Republic Dominicaine, Nicaragua just to name a few of the many varieties. I purchased a small variety and enjoyed a Nicaraguan cigar this evening. It was delightful, and I look forward to trying the rest.
I will definitely be returning again once I get my humidor seasoned. And there is also ample parking on the street or next to the shop.

5  Thank Norman L
habanera02, Owner at Maison Habanera Cigars, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2012

Thank you for that heart worming review)