“Confused.....why was this included in top ten”

L'atelier de sculpture du Village
Ranked #193 of 407 things to do in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: Atelier Joela Prevost Studio Gallery. Always wanted to sculpt? Create your own masterpiece under the expert guidance of renown sculptor Joel A Prevost. Discover the techniques of sculpting the human form in clay at evening and weekend classes offered throughout the year. Cost includes Clay supplied, tools, sessions with live model and firing of sculpture in kiln.
Spofford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Confused.....why was this included in top ten”
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Nice people but this was a tiny studio that offers classes, not a top ten site to see in Montreal! It took us a while to find it, the up side was that we got to see a part of Montreal we might have missed otherwise!

4 Thank Spoffordpwhit

Sudbury
“A Father/Daughter Perspective”
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Just thought I'd share what a wonderful and enlightening experience my daughter and I had sculpting with Joel and staying at His and Rob's beautiful Loggia. The location of the Loggia right in the heart of the artists section of beautiful Montreal and one block away from Joel's sculpture studio could'nt be more inspirational for this (me) budding sculptor. The rooms are spacious, with wonderful beds and beautiful art all around (and for sale too!). The common room upstairs has a wonderful homey feel where you can while away a quiet morning and the breakfast menu was expansive and healthy.
My daughter came away with a much greater understanding of what great sculpture entails, and I will be back to tackle a full weeks intensive tutelage under the master sometime in the fall. Guess you can say, what are you waiting for?
Lee and Samantha Prevost

Montréal
“Thanks Joël!”
Reviewed 16 March 2010

L'atelier de sculpture du Village
I have always loved and admired sculpture. When travelling one of the first things I will notice in a new city are the statues that adorn public spaces. When given the opportunity by Joël Prevost to try my own hand at sculpting in his workshop I went for it. I have now taken five courses under Joël’s skillfull supervision. It has been an enriching experience not only on an artistic level but also on à personal one as well. Joël’s classes are serious in content and light in form. Conviviality is shared by the other students and a glass (or two) of win spurs some interesting conversations. While allowing you to express your own artistic interpretation of a subject Joël is never far away with his expert advice and timely intervention. Thanks Joël, you have imparted your passion for sculpting on all who have crossed your path. I am glad to count you amongst my friends!

“Open sculpture studio and high calibre gallery in the Village of Montreal.”
Reviewed 12 March 2010

The atelier has on location a functioning ceramique studio and a gallery showing sculptures as well as paintings. If you have any interest in sculpture it is a fascinating place with several artists working in the studio and developing their art under the guidance of master sculptor Joel Prevost. There are classes to the public throughout the cooler months and as a visitor to the city, it is an interesting art stop in the Village near other galleries and small shops of talented crafts people with everything from tailored clothing to handmade furniture.

Montreal
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Passionate teaching for Experiential Learning”
Reviewed 12 January 2010

The first word that comes to mind when I think of Sculpteur/teacher Joel Prevost is passion. He is a passionate artist and teacher and thrives on sharing his passion about creating and technique in sculpting with his students.
My two classes were five week class of three hours one night a week. There were six students, male and female, all with very different backgrounds and strengths but with one interest in common - to challenge ourselves and to work. Our instructor Joel has years of experience in building and carving neo classical sculpture from clay and creating bronze works of art. You can tell that this is a man who lives to create and thrives on his passion. We worked with a live model who was very professional. We sart by building an armature of 80 to 120lbs of clay depending on the sized piece each of us wants to create. From this we carved and built that part of the torso which each one of us was interested in creating as a statue or bust. The process is very interesting because unless you are a sculpteur, you must access skills, mind and body, that you are not used to using even as an artist.
The instruction by Joel was par non and because the classes are small he is able to be very attentive to each student and their special abilities and help them along with problems in their work. With the class being so specialized we were able to work at a level and create work that is far above what I have been able to do in other art workshops and classes.
I have taken two classses so far and each time I have had a very enriching experience, I've met interesting people from different walks of life and made some good friends. Most of all though I own two two beautiful neo classical sculptures that grace my garden and people always are amazed that they are my very own creations.