“Poor experience.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Poor experience.”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Very disappointing overall experience, very noisy, right on top of construction site. Service was ok, but not 5stars. Rooms lacked warmth, decor is outdated, bed is not comfortable. Will never rebook there.

Room Tip: Room was dusty. Beds are not comfortable. Duvets are low quality. Ask to have a room that is not lo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Natacha F
Eric_Hamel, General Manager at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Hello Natacha,

Thank your for your review. I read your review on TA. I'm disapointed to see that you didn't have a great experience.

I'm glad to tell you that most of your comments were corrected.

We have new mattress top, duvet and pillows in our suites. We also changed most of the furnitures in our suites since your last visit.

See you soon in Montreal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Turkish first
London, UK
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Came to this hotel five years ago when it had just opened and were the first to stay in our room. We liked it so much we thought we would come back one day and when we were stuck in Montreal for a night due to East coast snows it was the perfect excuse.

Lovely deluxe suite with a tv in the lounge and bedroom. Large bath and rain shower. Bed was large and very comfortable. Service was very friendly and unstuffy staff. They installed a DVD player for us for no charge (unlike the intercontinental down the road who wanted 40 bucks).

Spa was open and outdoor hot tub on the roof was very nice. It was slightly cold but the real feel was -35 centigrade so this was understandable.

Location is great for shops and restaurants. Stay here if in town. Treat yourself.

Room Tip: We went for the deluxe suite to get the bath and larger bed.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello UkDazza,

Thank you for your great review. You were very lucky to be the first to stay in your suite at the opening and make it again 5 years later.

Don't wait another 5 years to visit us again
Sackville
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I love the Crystal for many reasons, but have noticed some maintenance issues the past two stays (October and December). The hotel just celebrated its 5th anniversary- while 5 years is not old , especially by Montreal hotel standards, 5 years does bring with it considerable wear and tear. But before the critical, the reasons why the Crystal remains my first choice in Montreal: (1) The suites. I am typically in Montreal for work and need to spend several hours per day doing work in my room; it is nice to have a separate bedroom so it feels like you are in an apartment instead of working in your bedroom, (2) Nespresso machines! Only hotel I know of in Montreal with in-room Nespresso machines. I have stayed at other hotels with no in-room coffee (GASP) like Sofitel and the Gault, or substandard Keurig style machines (St. Martin). (3). Interior sound-proofing. I have never stayed in a hotel that is so quiet. You do not hear any noise from above or adjacent units. Last time we had a family with 2 small children as neighbours- only know that because we saw them in the hallway- otherwise would not have known. (4) Sauna! Not many hotels around with functioning saunas but I love it- the pool, hottub, sauna area is never crowded and is very nice, (5) the beds and bedding are top quality, (6) the service is fantastic. So all good. Now the critical...(1) maintenance. The last trip we were in a front suite with balcony on 9th floor. In October we were in a larger tower room on the 8th floor. Both rooms had a great layout but the wall shelves in bathroom were coming off the wall, the shower heads were clogged, the lamps were stained and shades damaged, several doors of built-in wardrobes were off their hinges. In the 9th floor room the lock on the door was loose, the windows were iced up on the inside- you couldn't sit on sofa because it was so cold by the windows (no heat vent on that side of room), and the sofa was ripped and stained; in the 8th floor room, the carpet was stained badly, the air vents covered in dust, and the kitchen cupboards were sticky. (2) cleanliness- while the speak of their cleaning standards, the cleaning staff somehow fails to see the hand prints on interior doors and trim, the dust on the baseboards, the stains on cupboard doors. The carpets need shampooing and the sofas are dingy. Many marks on bathroom door and door trim. I don't mean to sound overly critical- I will be back- but I hate to see such a great hotel starting to slip. The weird thing is that you can purchase a hotel room- so I am not sure if the same standards of maintenance apply to all units? They need some more thorough inspections and attention given to cleaning or replacing carpets, trim, sofa's and light fixtures. Hopefully they will do this- it is such a great building with great amenities and service.

Room Tip: Larger (more expensive suites) are on the front- much larger but face construction. Smaller rooms ar...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank mr.weinerdog
MarketingCrystal, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Mr Weinerdog,

we would like to thank you for your recent review about Hotel Le Crystal.
We are glad to read that Hotel Le Crystal is your hotel of choice when coming in Montreal.
Suites, Nespresso machines, sound proofing, oasis on 12th floor, bed and service are effectively some of our best features!

About your concerns regarding the maintenance, we would like to thank you again to have took the time to address them. After 5 years, even if it is not really old for an hotel, we have some correction and improvements to do to our rooms that have already been started in some of our suites.

We are taking note of all your comment to improve this process.

Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcome you back again in 2014.

Happy New Year !

Guylaine
Guest Experience Manager
NYC
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Went to Montreal for a little getaway in early September with my husband and our 4 month old baby to celebrate our wedding anniversary and my birthday. We stayed at Le Crystal for 3 nights.

I researched many hotels before finally deciding on Hotel Le Crystal. I was looking for a hotel that offered a suite option or at least a very large room since we wanted to have a separate space for baby when she needed to sleep as well as ample area to lay out all the things one needs when traveling with a baby-- stroller, pack and play, diapers, bottles, breast pump, etc. I was really glad we chose a hotel that has kitchenettes since we needed a place to make milk, store extra food and wash baby bottles. The kitchenette also has a hot water kettle which was perfect for heating up milk. I brought my own but ended just using the one in the hotel.

I originally booked a Deluxe suite but upon arriving to our designated room we were really unhappy with its location. All the deluxe suites are on one side of the hotel and they have a direct view of the construction going on. Unfortunately, there is construction across the street on 2 sides of the hotel. Since we had a baby we really were concerned about the noise level. The hotel staff was very nice in showing us about 4 different available options before we decided to downsize to the Superior room since it looked out to the back of a YMCA/nursery school instead of a construction pit. They even offered us the executive suite at a discounted price but I couldn't justify spending $350 a night for a mini-getaway.

I really appreciated the staff for going out of their way to find us a suitable solution. We were disappointed that we couldn't get the larger size room but it was a better compromise to get a quieter location. We were able to borrow a pack and play crib from the hotel but it was worn looking and the pad inside was uneven and hard so we ended up placing a sofa cushion inside for the baby to sleep on. I just placed a crib sheet over it and it all worked out.

The best part of the suite is bathroom. Its really spacious and gorgeous. There is a super wide double vanity, amazing soaking tub and rain shower stall next to it. I could have spent my vacation just luxuriating in that tub. I think our baby even enjoyed floating in the massive tub. The Molton Brown toiletries are definitely a nice touch and added luxury.

Hubby and I look for hotels with a pool when vacationing and usually take advantage of it but was a bit hard going to the pool as a family. I only had a chance to take a peek and from what I saw it looked very relaxing. Hubs took a quick dip and said it was fine.

Traveling with our baby for the first time was certainly a bit challenging. Our last night we wanted to find something convenient and the front desk person offered us a 2 for 1 coupon for the onsite restaurant LaCoupole. However after our 2 previous dinner outings where only one of us got to sit during the meal we decided to pass on the prix fixe they were offering. I really regretted that since our alternative was eating really sucky take out roasted chicken with soggy fries that cost $16CAD on the pull out couch while baby slept. We did get room service breakfast our last morning which was pricey but very good so I would think the restaurant food would also be comparable.

Overall the hotel was a good fit for our vacation needs. I think without the baby we could have enjoyed it even more. The metro is a few blocks away and shopping district is also close by. We were hoping to find a cheaper price parking lot but ended up using valet since we didn't know our way around. The guys were always really friendly and gave us complimentary water every day.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank marzypan9
Eric_Hamel, General Manager at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, 12 August 2014

Louisiana
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel. I feel completely pampered. I've stayed here more than once and everything is exquisite, from the entry foyer lobby to the plush bathrooms and even the restaurant was superb! An amazing hot tub soak adds to his charm!
One oft favorite hotels ever!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank amyjemesouviens

Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed the weekend of november 16, 2013., room 717. Room, large, light, very clean with a top rated bed. Fully stocked bar, excess number of large, comfy towels, everything first class. The personnel we encountered were all great. We enjoyed the bar with lovely Marie, barister. Finally, after a comfortable rest, we had a fine breakfast in the dining room. I will certainly plan future stays there. Finally, the location is very convenient; they took care of my automobile parking.

Room Tip: Room 717 is very large, lots of room and closets.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lewis G

New York, NY
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Hotel Le Crystal is in the heart of downtown Montreal, mere steps from Bell Centre as well as the city's main shopping street. The room are quite large, incredibly comfortable with the bedroom cordoned off from the rest of the suite. Small kitchenette compete with refrigerator and microwave and sink. Plus a large tub and upright shower with rain shower head.

The food is excellent with a simply great restaurant. Fantastic.

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business