“Nice but over priced, unfortunate construction”
Review of Hotel Le Crystal

Hotel Le Crystal
Ranked #13 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersGold level
Newcastle, Ontario
“Nice but over priced, unfortunate construction”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Check in was easy and the clerk was pleasant. I requested a room on a high floor and away from the construction. I ended up on the 5th floor and eventually viewing construction.

I unpacked and then found out that the AC wasn’t working. They were very quick to send up maintenance but no solution so had to repack and move; these things happen. For the inconvenience, I was offered an upgrade to an Executive Suite which was a nice offer. What’s included with an upgrade? It includes a nice little balcony with breakfast table chairs, other than that the rooms are identical. I didn’t get an opportunity to use the table/balcony as I was overlooking a hole in the ground and a construction site with blazing bright lights at night and construction noise during the day. I can appreciate though that the hotel has no control over this, however I do know that some of our team that checked in after I did, ended up on the 9th floor and away from construction. If I was being “rewarded for the inconvenience”, why not move me to the 9th floor away from the noise?

The room had a small work desk placed in a dark corner with a lamp so small I label it useless as it couldn’t even light up my paperwork or keyboard. I did move a real lamp over from the sitting area but then had to keep moving it back and forth. Good luck finding a plug. Handy – right?

Kitchenette is fully equipped with can opener, spoons and one butter knife along with ONE glass, so hopefully you are flying solo and have no need for utensils other than a spoon. If you aren’t familiar with a Nespresso machine, brush up before you go so you know what to do with it and may as well figure out what the different coloured coffee pods mean as there is nothing in the room to indicate what it’s all about.

Nice to have an in-room safe.

The bed is so comfortable. I had a great sleep.

The room was clean on arrival. I dropped a few peanuts in the bedroom and thought I’d do my “cleaning service” test by leaving them to see if they actually vacuum or how well they clean. I arrived on Monday and left on Friday – peanuts still on the floor. Guess they only vacuum when you leave.

A bagel with juice/coffee and a teeny tiny fruit dish will run you $16 and if you order room service be prepared to have $3.50 added on plus an 18% service charge PLUS taxes. My opinion, that’s a pretty pricey bagel; go find Starbucks or go down to the breakfast room and pay menu prices.

Lots of fantastic restaurants close by to choose from. The service was very slow at every single one that we went to – but the food was amazing. DO Read your bill as they add in a service tip whether you like the service or not.

Front desk staff, valet and concierge are very good, as were the conference services staff.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor away from construction. Chances are they won't listen but it's worth...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CRM433
Eric_Hamel, General Manager at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hello CRM433,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I'm glad that you point out some great comments about our team and the new bedding. I'm sorry that we didn't passed your test. We have strict housekeeping procedures and I can assure you that we have multiples tests to make sure that a guest is always enjoying a clean suites. We will refine our procedures with our partners. Hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2014

One night at the hotel was enough to be charmed. The room, service and food are all excellent. The view from the gym which is at the 12th floor is amazing. I recommend it to all. Thanks hotel Le Crystal for this wonderful time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Eric_Hamel, General Manager at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Hello Véronique G,

I'm glad that you were charm by our Hôtel. We strive to provide the best service in town. We partnered with Anne Desjardins (renowed chef in Quebec) to create our menu for La Coupole and our Room Service. I'm also happy to announce that La Coupole is part of Les Aliments du Québec au menu. One on 60 restaurants in Québec to offer local farmers dishes.
See you soon in business or with your friends again
Varennes
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We spent a weekend in May with our kid. We loved our suite, large bathroom, modern decor, very spacious. Our suite had a sofa-bed for our kid. Guestroom is separate from living room, parents loved that. 12th floor is a must. Nice pool, exterior jacuzzi and terrace. We had dinner at La Coupole, great food and service. Construction in the area didn't disturb our week-end. The staff is great. They only know one word... Yes, we can do it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Eric_Hamel, General Manager at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hello Martine L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hotel Le Crystal. I will pass your great comments to our team. Do not hesitate to visit us also for business.

See you soon
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed at the Crystal during the F1 weekend and I must say that I was more than impressed with this hotel; I will definitely be back and will not hesitate to recommend it to friends and family.

Check-in:

I arrived in Montreal way before check-in time but was still able to leave my luggage at the hotel as well as my car with the Valet (these guys appreciate and take car of nice cars!). The front desk asked what time I thought I was going to be back from the race to ensure that the room was ready and it was.

Room:

Very nice suite with all amenities and a nice bathroom. Everything was clean and welcoming. The bed was very comfortable and would probably rank in my top 3 comfortable hotel beds. There were TVs in each one of the main rooms as well as a docking station to plug in my iPod/mp3 player. Despite some of the construction work going on and high traffic during the weekend, none of it was heard from the room.

Staff:

Bravo to all of the staff. Everyone I dealt with was dynamic and very friendly and helpful; I was never given the impression that I was bothering anyone and the word "No" doesn't seem to be in anyone's vocabulary.

Check-out:

Check-out was painless and efficient.

Conclusion:

I have stayed at many of Montreals high-end and boutique hotels but had never thought of staying here before; this first visit has converted me and I will definitely be back. You simply cannot beat the quality of the product and the location (bell center, metro, fine dining, shopping, etc., etc.).!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Damien G
Eric_Hamel, General Manager at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Hello Damien G,

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Le Crystal. I will share your comments with our team at our next monthly get together. You experienced the new Crystal Service Culture.

See you next year again for Grand Prix
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights last week in the Crystal Suite. Nice big room, great bathroom, separate bedroom and convenient kitchenette. It was definitely a room you could spread yourself out in and relax without feeling cramped. Room service was very good and the concierge was very helpful. The lobby experience was a little slow; check-in was a little late and the valet took some time getting the car when we needed it, but these are small gripes compared to how much we enjoyed everything else. The pool on the roof was a nice touch too. Construction is going on across the street but you could barely hear anything in the room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Eric_Hamel, Directeur général at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Hello Shal M,

Our Crystal Suite are spectacular, I'm glad you liked it. Our room service is catered by our restaurant La Coupole, signed by Anne Desjardins (renowed Chef in Québec). I will pass you good comment to Mylène our Clefs d'or Concierge. We are working to speed the Check In process, you should experience improvement soon. Thank you for your comment about our Valet, I will review the situation with our manager. The salted pool, exterior hot tub and terrace, gym on 12th floor are as you mentionned great.

Visit us again
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is right in the middle of the college party scene on rue crescent. Beautiful salt water pool and spa on top of the roof. Very modern decor and very eco friendly. The power to the room turns off when the key is not inserted.

• Stayed September 2013
Hello Mihaela C,

Thank you for your review. The location of the Hotel is right in the heart of Montreal. Bell Center accross the street, Ste-Catherine street for shopping and Crescent to have fun.
Our pool and exterior hot tub is a must to visit. As you experienced, we are a Green hotel, we are using eco friendly cleaning products, our technology make us be friendly to our environment by using our ressources only when needed. Glad you noticed.

See you soon,
Atlantic Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed with our two young children for a weekend in February. Our suite was clean and had an excellent layout (large bathroom, semi-private bedroom with queen bed and living room with pull-out couch), and kitchenette. The bathroom was gorgeous, the queen bed was comfortable, and the pull-out couch was quite lumpy. Housekeeping was outstanding. A somewhat overpowering floral odour seemed to permeate the entire hotel from entering the lobby, only abating once we'd been in our room for a while, but fortunately did not trouble my husband's or son's asthma. The location is unbeatable for proximity to the Bell Centre and Rue St. Catharine. Prices are very reasonable and the pool and outdoor rooftop hot tub are just lovely. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Eric_Hamel, Directeur général at Hotel Le Crystal, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Hello NBChrista,

Thank you for your great comments. Our suite are perfect for Family gateway.
Since February, we modified our aroma in our lobby to have something more discreet. You will love it.
See you soon again.