“Look no further for a romantic Montreal hotel - you found it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Le Crystal

Hotel Le Crystal
Ranked #14 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta GA
“Look no further for a romantic Montreal hotel - you found it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

We arrived with no trouble by taxi to find the hotel exterior reception portico was under some sort of brick street repair with no hotel staff to guide guests through the construction mess. Never having been there before we took this route into the hotel because this is where the taxi driver dropped us off. Had we realized we would have walked around to the front doors where no doorman is present but the doors do open automatically so with luggage you could have entered without any issues. You need to push the panel button on the post by the exterior front door to get the first set to open; the second set opens automatically. Upon exit both sets of doors open automatically…..a nice touch for non staffed doorways. We walked up to the front desk with luggage in tow and there were at least 6 hotel desk employees all buried into their computer monitors and not one looked up to greet us. After about 2 minutes another employee arrived from another location and she warmly greeted us. The same employee helped us several times from the concierge desk later during our trip. She needs to be the hotel’s desk staff trainer. We waited long enough unacknowledged to feel very uncomfortable almost invisible. I’ve read other reviews about the staff being indifferent so it must be absolutely true. They had a remarkable ability to ignore a hotel guest. The staff member who saved us from our wait was very lovely, helpful and friendly and almost made us forget the previous lack of acknowledgment…almost. After check in, there was no offer to assist with luggage from the valet or bellman. We had two large rolling suitcases and two carry-on pieces so it wasn’t an issue to handle it ourselves. We had made it this far but some assistance in figuring out the required card key-operated room lighting would have been nice and the very least a hotel can do is offer to assist with luggage. We were tired from the trip. If there are two of you traveling together and sharing a room, make sure to request two keys so if one person leaves the other is not left in the room with no lighting since the key (in our room anyway) had to be left in the slot in order for the lights to stay on and operate.

You need your card key each time you use the up elevator to get to your floor, you need it to enter your room of course, and then again to allow switching on the room lighting. The trick is to leave your key in the slot in the room that controls the lighting panel and not just swipe it. Leave the card key in the slot inside the room door. Lighting in the room was more for romance and ambiance over reading. The floor lamp should have a higher wattage bulb for reading purposes and it could easily be moved around to other locations where a little extra lighting is necessary.

We arrived at our room and everything immediately got better. The room was lovely. We had upgraded to a Deluxe suite in the reservation process and I’m glad we did. It has a separate King bedroom with beautiful sliding frosted glass doors. The seating area, dining area entry way, and kitchenette are all nice indeed for the room price. Almost 700 square feet per the website and beautifully decorated with more closet, drawer and shelving storage than I have ever seen in a hotel room or apartment. The kitchenette is not meant for any sort of cooking or real meals. It is stocked with 4 dinner plates, 4 bread & butter plates, 4 of each kind of flatware, 4 placemats, 1 cereal/soup bowl, 1 salt/pepper grinder, and some assorted useless cooking utensils. There is no cooktop so it didn’t make much sense to have cooking utensils. They need to add a corkscrew and bottle opener, cheese knife, and bread knife. The advertised refrigerator in every suite is filled with their mini bar items for sale so there is not much room left for your own purchases. If requested, they would probably rid the room of the food items for sale. I like to keep some milk in the room for my coffee. There were two pot holders and 1 dishtowel. There is a spacious in-room safe with a lit interior, wired or wireless internet access free of charge, an espresso machine, an electric kettle and a hidden microwave. We never had a loss of our internet connection. The glass turntable tray in the microwave was missing rendering it useless for an even heating process. It should be replaced. If you offer an appliance it needs to be in working order with all the necessary accessories. Having said that, the rooms are beautiful, clean (see grout comment) and comfortable. The sofa is plush and inviting. The club chairs are neither. I would have preferred one nice comfortable club chair over two hard uninviting and uncomfortable leather ones. The soaking tub and separate shower and bathroom amenities are absolutely fabulous. They need an extra blanket or some throws. The furry throws you see in all the other pictures were not existent in this suite nor were any extra blankets for the cold-natured. Asking for one would probably have easily solved the lack of one. There are no instructions for the espressos machine but it the type you insert the coffee capsule and the machine does the work. Fill the back basin with cold water, lift the lever on top, insert the coffee capsule, close the lever and put the espresso cup under the spout, press the button with the small cup or large cup and it instantly brews espresso into the provided glass espresso cups. Here is a tip for regular coffee drinkers, just make a cup of espresso and then pour it into one of the ceramic mugs and fill with boiling water from the electric kettle and you have a nice flavorful cup of regular coffee. There are no decaf choices and the creamers are all flavored so if you like plain milk or creamer you should buy some before your first morning as well as some sugar. They are skimpy on the sweeteners. I’m sure just asking for some solves that issue as well. I ordered ice for the thermal stainless steel ice bucket and it arrived both times in just a few short minutes. The service in this hotel is good if you overlook our issue when we first arrived. Housekeeping stocks the room with plenty of plain and flavored tea bag choices for tea drinkers. Some plain instead of flavored creamers would have been nice to have. The concierge can point you to a nearby market that stocks everything you need about 5 blocks away from the hotel. Room service meals are expensive, no surprise there. Housekeeping will bring more of the espresso capsules upon request. The perfect solution would be for the hotel to include a French press in the kitchenette and some regular ground coffee. The in room thermostat is Celsius so do your conversions before you leave to calculate your favorite room temp if visiting from the USA. 21 Celsius is right at 70 in Fahrenheit if that helps. There is a dock for your iPhone, iPod or mp3 player with a universal plug-in adapter included so bring your tunes with you. Do not disturb is operated by pressing a button on a panel by the door. Housekeeping honors the do not disturb request. If you want maid service you have to request it before 4:30PM if you have left your do not disturb light on all morning. Housekeeping did a nice job of freshening the room daily except for our last night we seemed to be short of fresh towels as compared to the other days.

The room was very clean and organized except for the shower and it had a lot of mold and mildew from a lack of detailed cleaning. I’ve included pictures of the room as it was when we arrived. The Molton Brown bath products are a nice touch. Don’t leave without soaking with the Dead Sea salt bath soak product included free of charge. It was very nice after a long day of walking the streets of Montreal. The rooms are quiet. You can open the windows for fresh air if you like.

We checked out the hot tub (exterior) on the roof, the exercise room and the indoor salt water pool. We did not use them but I wish we had found the time to do so. The pool and hot tub are very nice and inviting. The exercise room is small but has several options for cardio and a nice universal weight machine allowing many exercise choices for toning and increasing your heart rate. The equipment appeared to be relatively new and in good working order.

Overall this hotel is great. I will most definitely return. It is comfortable, clean and beautifully decorated from the lobby to the guestrooms. It is conveniently located for shopping and sightseeing. The Metro stops for the orange line and/or green line are just a couple of blocks away and the Metro is easy to navigate. Ask the concierge for a street map. We used it several times. You can purchase a 3-day Metro pass for fourteen dollars from the cash only machine. It appears as if you can use a credit card but it did not work for me. The attendant told me the machines are cash only. You do not need to speak French to enjoy Montreal. 90% of signs and menus are in both French and English and all the shopkeepers and desk staff appear to be bilingual and don’t seem to mind switching to English for the tourists. Everyone we encountered was very friendly and accommodating. One of the many entrances to Montreal’s famous huge underground mall is just a few blocks from the hotel. My first impression was that this hotel was not going to be all that great. My lasting impression is that this hotel can offer a wonderful traveling experience and is a very nice place to stay for the business or tourist traveler. The hotel needs to do a little training on the housekeepers on the mold and mildew issue in room 905 and add a throw or blanket.

Thanks Hotel Le Crystal for a lovely visit to Montreal. Our lovely room with our iPod tunes from home set the tone for the trip.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

I initially picked Le Crystal because it had separate sleeping / living quarters but it impressed us in so many other ways, as well. The room also had a great balcony with a view of downtown and the room had great boutique perks. My favourite was the espresso machine for easy delicious coffee any time of day. Also, the room service was amazing and I'd highly recommend the continental breakfast for the fresh french pastries. The pool was fun for our daughter and they even had some pool toys and lifejackets for kids of all sizes. All in all, we'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Welland, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

I read the reviews on this website before I booked our trip.
The reviews are accurate.
The staff were friendly.
Our room was clean and comfortable. To be honest, my expectations were exceeded by this hotel.
Although we didn't use the pool, we still checked it out...It looked clean and relaxing. The sun patio was quaint. All of the lounge chairs had towels rolled up waiting for you, and it was a nice touch that there was a sunscreen dispenser on the patio too.
You should be happy here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

Really enjoyed my different stays (6 times in 3 years !!) in le Crystal.
I was one of the first client when they opened
Very trendy. Service is very good.
If you have time to try the pool, it is really great and has an amazing view but the last times I went you could not use it if you were in a business trip because of the opening hours
Bfast could be a bit long to serve for business travelers.

Could be a bit pricy. for business travelers, I would be ready to pay it if I could use the pool when I am back after a long day.
Still a very good experience

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

I loved this hotel! I have visited this hotel 3x's in the last 3 years.The staff is very attentive. I was very disappointed that after my bill of $564.00 was paid in full there was a $917.00 hold on my credit card 5 days after I checked out. I spoke with staff at the front desk who assured me it was my banks issue. After many frustrating phone calls the Hotel Crystal had to fax a letter authorizing the bank to release the funds. I guess it was the Hotel's issue!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mgc535
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

My husband and I along with a group of 20 family members stayed at Hotel Le Crystal for two nights in early July. The place was just beautiful and what a great location!

All 20 of us occupied nearly one floor of this luxurious hotel. The rooms were all suites and were amazing, with a large bedroom, separate living/dining area and a good sized bathroom complete with shower stall and separate bath tub. The hotel is very new and has a great, modern feel to it. They even had fancy coffee machines in each room that tape coffee capsules.

Staff was also friendly and helpful.

Great place, will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

My 21 year old son and I chose this hotel to celebrate my husbands birthday. We were torn between the Queen Elizabeth and this but when read the reviews about the QE being worn, we went with a 2 year old hotel instead. We couldnt have been happier. The rooms are suites and we had a small kitchen, desk, table with 4 chairs, couch and 2 chairs with TV and then a king sized bed room with a sliding door for privacey. It was the perfect suite for the three of us as the couch was a pull out. The bathroom was large and clean and the location downtown was 2 blocks from shopping and Crescant street wich is a big restaurant/nighttime spot. We really liked the desk with large hot tub and the pool was terrific. Small work out room but adequate. We loved the fresh apples each day and the staff was very pleasant. We asked for a room on a higher floor and they accomodated and it was very quiet. Really great experience and would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family