“Charming hotel downtown with small...”
Review of Parc Suites Hotel

Parc Suites Hotel
Ranked #24 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Charming hotel downtown with small kitchenette. Family run staff excellent and personable.

Reviewed 1 June 2010

Just got back from a 6 day stay for a professional conference. At the last minute my daughter (age 20) decided to tag along with my colleague and I. She called Montreal "the result when Europe and New York City decide to have a child". I think that means that she likes the place.

First impressions were a bit iffy. A few intoxicated (seemingly homeless) people were leaned up against the side of the building with their hats open for our donation. Eek, what had we done?

Once we crossed the threshold and climbed 30 stairs to the reception area, we knew we were in good hands. We received a friendly greeting and were offered assistance with our bags (which is no small thing given the vertical challenges here).

Although we were offered a room at the level of the reception area, we decided to brave an additional hike of 21 stairs to room 8. It faces the rear of the building and is very quiet. Rooms (in this case a 1 BR suite) are updated and ours was very comfortable and quiet. We could see the conference hotel from our "balcony" (a fire escape, outfitted with one chair and some blooming geraniums) and as time passed, we became more and more happy to be staying so near but so off the beaten path.

In the light of day, the homeless folk had departed (convenience store with beer for sale is apparently a great attraction) and the neighborhood character was more fully revealed (area is pulsating with university students, given the location close to McGill).

We loved the extended hours supermarket next door (great for stocking up on water and breakfast fixings), the easy walk (10 min) to the Hyatt conference center, and reasonable walk (within 30 minutes) to many great areas with fabulous restaurants (such as L'Academie where you can bring your own wine). Even a simple bistro on Sherbrooke and Parc, steps from the hotel (with cardboard cutout of ice cream cone dangling in the window) offered outstanding pizza at a bargain price.

Staff couldn't have been nicer. My colleagues had family members visit for a few hours and a staff member hopped into the family's car to escort them to the free parking (access is a bit tricky with all of the one way streets in the area). Whenever we asked for anything (such as extra towels or a taxi) we were quickly accommodated.

Chain hotels are a dime a dozen but a stay in a place like this is memorable. Why think twice? I miss it already. It became our home away from home in our week in Montreal, a wonderful city to visit.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank kayteeYVR
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Just returned from Quebec today. We arrived at the Parc Suites a couple of weeks ago and decided to book here as reviews read positive. We were not dissapointed. We travelled with our 2 young daughters (age 3 and 5). We stayed 3 nights initially and our stay was so comfortable we booked our last night here again prior to our return flight home (having travelled for 2 wks). It is in the heart of Montreal despite what reviews may suggest. It's a 5 min walk to the local metro station. Montreal is a huge city. We got round the city with 2 young daughters without the need for metro, car or bus. It's in walking distance to every where a tourist wants to see be it the old quarter, queyside, latin quarter, malls, the huge main parc, Rue Sherbrooke not to mention pretty good restaurants, take outs also close by plus supermarket and pharmacist 2 min walk away. The rooms are not huge but they are spotlessly clean and very confortable. We booked rooms that consisted of a sofa bed and a double bed (1 bed suite) which accommodated us fine. Fresh smelling bed linen and towels. Both the living area and bedroom had flat screen TV's. The bathroom was spotless and the kitchen was suffiient. The stairs to the reception are not as bad as the photo's or what seems to be sugested by some. The staff were the most helpful with accommodating our needs and each individual person was extremely friendly. We would definately stay here again if we return to Montreal in the future. Room 1 was slightly bigger than our 1st room, room 4. probably worth the extra little bit of money.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank mounteden
Reviewed 25 May 2010

Hello.
Ok, here goes my first review, ever, so I'll try to make it short, to the point and as objective as possible.
The hotel itself is rather small and as the add says, these are suites in the heart of Montreal. The entrace is clean, up-the stairs, and the suites are clean but I found them a little smaller than expected. There was a kitchenette so cooking was possible and we took advantage of the grocery store a few feet south (towards Sherbrooke) which is a rather large store. And the service, Oskar was very, very attentive and tried to make us feel comfortable. That being said, there are a few 'down' sides that would make me think go here twice,,, with family that is.
As in any large city (I guess including Toronto) beggars are part of the landscape, but this time, too close for my own comfort. The place next door seemed like an abandoned Chinese/Japanese restaurant where the beggars hang. They are quiet but just their presence made me feel un-easy. Quite honestly, this is the first time I felt insecure in Canada. Can you believe it? The parking was in back of the hotel and the access less than comfortable, in order to go to the back you could take the shortest route which is a passage between a large wall and a convenience store (note: If you go to buy groceries, my advice is not to go there) and it smelled like pee. I even caught a guy urinaring who promptly leaned towards the wall when saw me coming. When I first noticed where the car was going to be parked (my own car, not rental) I felt very uneasy. I asked the bellboy if there was any sort of security and he said all the guests parked their cars there and with no issues. They have a surveillance camera (hope they DO watch!) Then, I went back to check it out and the area was very well lit, but just the fact that it was out in the open and in that not so welcomy area made me feel uneasy. Nothing happened, thank goodness.
Again, this may have been my perception and since I have never felt this uneasiness anywhere in Canada (actually Ontario) I can tell that at first I felt a little like when I was back in my home country, worried about theft, not that you don't have to be security conscious in every place, but there are areas where you take security for granted.
The microwave broke. It was replaced almost immediately.
The sofa arm rest fell off. IT was not fixed but I don't see this as a huge deal, only the fact that the thud it made when it fell turned heads.
For the rest of it, we had an enjoyable time. Montreal is quite as expected. Nice city.
Will I go back again to the same location? Hmm, I'd be interested in checking the prices at the hotel accross from the street first... Then I'll probably make a deciscion.
In summary: If you go with family, this could be a good option and if you are not that picky about your vehicle security. If you go alone or as a couple...Hmm, maybe there may be better options. But that's your choice!
Hope this helps!
Au Revoir!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2010

During April, I had four separate stays at this hotel and this means I had the opportunity to view four of the eight rooms available; three of these were genuine 'suites', i.e. separate living room and kitchen to the bedroom. The three suites all offered a good amount of space for two adults. Room No. 1 is not actually a suite, just a bedroom and separate shower/loo.

Beds are very comfortable - OK, more impressive than what Sheraton state about theirs! I cannot remember their slogan but found the beds at Parc Suites to be superb. Some of the furnishings are a little tired but, possibly, these will be replaced at the same time as the new extension - yes, the hotel is increasing in size this year! Besides the owner (Mr Demirdogan), three other staff were seen on reception and all very pleasant.

Parc Suites is two blocks from the nearest Metro (Place des Arts) and in a reasonably central position but then Montreal is not that large anyway. If you like walking, it is a good location for 'the mountain', for Mordecai Richler's streets named in his novels, for McGill University campus and so on.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2010

The staff was very helpful, the rooms were large and clean, and the location was great. We walked to all our sightseeing destinations without a problem. Some prior reviewers have complained about the stairs. Also note that the parking is not accessible immediately outside the hotel-- you'll have to go around the block to get to the free parking behind the hotel. However-- unless you have limited mobility, neither of these things should be a problem, and you're doing yourself a disservice (or you are shockingly lazy) if you don't stay here. When we stayed here, the most recent review on TripAdvisor was a real hate-bomb focused on the stairway issue. The staff was incredibly helpful and practically knocked themselves over carrying all of our luggage and otherwise trying to overcompensate for the inconvenience.
Staff was very helpful and solicitous.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2010

besides the fact that the staff are helpful and friendly, the rooms are clean and the beds provide kingsize comfort, the hotel is located in a rather central place for sightseeing. we walked everywhere, taking no public transport (except the train from toronto which i recommend over driving in montreal any day), and parc suites is close to the gare centrale train station (20 minute walk) and old montreal and mile end are quite accessible from it as well.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple