“One of the best meals ever!”
Review of Liverpool House

Liverpool House
Ranked #99 of 5,928 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$24 - US$59
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Cross street: Charlevoix
Description: Seaside cottage charm and bustling oyster counter. Sexy Old World wines, and crazy fresh market food. A great club house feel. Perfect for gin-tonic fueled evenings with relatives, friends, lovers and/or Peter Hoffer (aka "The HOFF"). Tout les charmes de chalets de bord de mer et un comptoir à huitre animé. Vins du Vieux-Monde et cuisine fraiche de marché. Parfait pour vos soirées alimentées de gin tonic en famille, entre amis et amants, et/ou Peter Hoffer ("The HOFF").
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I couldn't get reservations at Joe Beef, so Liverpool House was my "next best" alternative. Now that I've had a taste, I could care less about going to Joe Beef! I would happily trade it for Liverpool House in a blink! I loved the understated decor, mellow ambiance and the intimate layout. The chalkboard menu was not a hit with my husband, who can't read well without his glasses in English let alone French, but the waitress was nice enough to walk us through it.

The wine and food were fantastic. Everything we ordered ranged from delightful to insanely delicious. The lobster spaghetti was one of the most decadent meals I've ever attempted to eat. (I got about halfway through, making sure to eat every last bit of lobster. At $50 per, I wasn't going to let the good stuff go to waste.) It was far too rich for just one person, so definitely share it. If you're going to splurge at one restaurant in Montreal, I vote for Liverpool House. Seriously. Go.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Fantastic. The menu, while annoyingly and almost insultingly placed on the back-corner wall, was broad and varied.

Service was friendly and attentive.

The room, however, was brightly lit and crowded. If they removed 3 or 4 tables from the place and got rid of the stupid table-displays in the middle of the room... the experience would be much better (and doubly-so for the waitstaff, I would imagine - I felt bad for them trying to squeeze around customers reading the menu off the wall and the silly display tables).

Anyway, the food was incredible. My oysters were perfectly fresh, my Martini was large and ice-cold (basically my criteria for the perfect Martini), and my steak... my God... the steak.

This steak was heavenly. I cannot put it into words. Go eat one. Now.

1  Thank FrancT802
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Where to begin... Context.

I've eaten in a number of really wonderful spots: Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester, Savoy Grill, Peter Luger, The Four Seasons Restaurant in NY... I don't know. But I've been lucky enough to eat a lot of great meals in the last few years. I mention this history in the hopes of establishing that saying something is "the best" isn't just hyperbolic nonsense.

I'd never heard of Liverpool House. But I had heard of sister restaurant, Joe Beef.

I was part of a 15 member bachelor party from NY in Montreal for the weekend. One of the members of the party arranged this dinner, and after a nice meal at Fabrique the night before, I was excited when he guaranteed this would be the highlight of the weekend.

We sat on the back patio. We had it mostly to ourselves. We didn't order. They just brought food. And wine. And beer. Hundred of oysters. Lobster. The best lamb I've had in my life. The service was absolutely fantastic -- knowledgeable, friendly, and professional waiters. They allowed us to control the music on the patio, playing mostly Rolling Stones while enjoying some of the best tasting food and drinks I've ever had.

In short, the place is THE reason is will go back to Montreal. The city itself is lovely (in summer), the people are unique, and the culture is one-of-a-kind. But dinner at sunset on the back patio of Liverpool House is all the reason I need to make another trip back to a really special city. Thanks to Liverpool House for a meal to remember.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We came to Liverpool House on recommendation of a friend. In there past, we always ate one meal at Au Pied de Cochon. Liverpool was a brilliant change! Our reservations were inside, but the weather was fab and we wanted to sit on the terrace. They were fully committed outside, but cobbled together room for us at the staff picnic table out back even though a large party was coming shortly. We had duck and lamb that was huge and simply prepared with plenty for the next day. We especially liked the tomato and cheese salad from the produce they grew right next to the tables! Staff is incredibly attentive and knowledgeable. A great meal!

1  Thank LesChoux
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Great tapa style light dishes that we shared as a group. You cannot go wrong with anything on the chalk menu..(there are no physical personal menus)..which is a bit odd when you sit under the board, but can be overcome with one or two Old Fashioned drinks, when you will then be telling everyone your recommendations. My personal favorite was the seasoned horse.