“great new hotel in great location; let's hope they keep up with the maintenance”

Hilton Garden Inn Montreal Centre-ville
Ranked #27 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Sackville
Reviewed 19 January 2010

When I see a new hotel when planning a trip, well I am inclined to give it shot. Why? Well - it's new! And that means clean- really, I am tired of the stained carpets and fingerprint laden walls of so many so called 4+ star establishment. And this hotel didn't disappoint. Clean, well appointed rooms with nice linens. The bathrooms are small, but very functional really. The exercise room is amongst the best I have seen anywhere and the pool and hot tub were very nice - although I worry about their longevity (those glass mosaic tiles may look nice, but hey are already starting to come unglued; my daughter even cut her foot on a missing tile in the hot tub). But the best part- the steam room! Awesome. I will return just for that.

My only complaints- other than the failing tiles in the pool and hot-tub- are minor. We checked in on a SAturady and there were dirty dishes from room service in the hallway. THose dishes sat there until Monday, even though the cleaning staff would have walked by them several times. Also the cleaning of our room on Sunday was, well, not really what I would call a cleaning (hey it's Winter here- you need to vacuum everyday). The cleaning staff seemed much improved on Monday and the room was again made spotless. THe included breakfast (need to book the breakfast rate) was great and the service excellent (better on Monday than Sunday again; cooking was opposite though- much beter prepared on the weekend).

All in all, a great hotel with great rates. I will be back. Just keep that steam room functioning!

Spotles

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Thank mr.weinerdog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Englad
Reviewed 5 January 2010

I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Montreal-CentreVille fo New Year' Eve and had an exceptionally positive experience.
As a point of background, I spend a fair amount of time on the road and in hotels, probably 60 to 80 nights a year. It doesn't take long for me to sense what the "attitude" is in a hotel. Sometimes it's what happens when I check-in, sometimes it is the doorman, or sometimes it is the unspoken actions of the first few employees that I cross paths with. From the moment I stepped foot in the HGI Montreal I recognized this staff was special. Everyone I interfaced was excellent...the front desk folks (on numerous occasions), the woman on duty for breakfast on New Years Day, the cleaning staff I ran into in the hallways, and the crew on duty at the door on new year's eve. It was just very enjoyable. All that said, one experience was exceptional.
I made a reservations several weeks prior for New Years Eve, one night only, one room. About a week before the trip I received the "generic" email from Reservations Manager, explaining the hotel policies for New Year's Eve. I had been very busy I had no plans for my wife and I, and not much familiarity with the city of Montreal. I sent a simple note asking for a dinner recommendation. I got a very prompt response, not with some suggestions but, with some thoughtful questions on what I might be interested in. Thankful to get more than a canned response from the hotel staff I promptly answered the questions and my thoughts. After a day or so I received another note that was surprisingly helpful. The responder explained that most places were booked but that she found a place in Old Port that she thought would be nice. She had ALREADY made the reservation and sent me the web links for the restaurant. She also offered that if this was not suitable that she would take care to cancel everything if needed. I checked out the website and thought it was a great match and sent her a note thanking her for all her efforts. If nothing else happened I still would have been totally satisfied, but that is not the end of the story.
I arrived at the HGI mid-day on New Year's Eve, checked-in and then headed out for a late lunch. At some point during the afternoon I received two phone messages, one on my cell phone and the second on the room phone. The message on my cell was from the staff person 'apologizing' that she didn't let me know that the restaurant she
picked did not serve alcohol and that I should plan to bring my own bottle. I could hear a real sense of concern in
her voice. She continued to explain how her or other staff members would help me get some dinner wine. I am not sure what really happened after that but I can only guess that she hung up and just felt really bad that I might not get that message and my New Year's Eve dinner would be spoiled. Then, a somewhat later message on my room phone explained that she had to leave for the day but had gotten a bottle of wine for me and it was being held at the desk as a gift to me. I just couldn't believe how this one person had made it there personal responsibility to make sure my New Year's Eve was a happy one. What she didn't know is that I that when I looked at the website link she gave me I noticed it was a bring your own wine place....so I came prepared with a bottle of wine. In the end I called the desk and told them I would not need the wine.
I don't know what else I can say but that this redefines exceptional service for me. The biggest problem this creates is that I am convinced I will NEVER be able to rate any hotel stay a "10" again because no one will ever measure up to this level of client care. I highly recommend the HGI Montreal for your next visit.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BGVT
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 10 December 2009

I love this hotel, and make it a point to stay there whenever I'm in Montreal. I actually look forward to staying there. Here's why:
1. The rooms are huge and clean, and the beds are awesome (you can adjust the firmness - which works for me). The chair at the desk in my room is ultra comfortable. There's free internet (cable and wifi).
2. They have Starbucks coffee in the rooms, not that cheap bargain cr@p! They also don't have a mini-bar with mega-expensive drinks. Instead, they have a clean mini-fridge that I can use for OJ, soda pop, beer, or whatever.
3. The gym is huge with modern equipment. It's on the top floor in a large area with high ceilings, large windows and a great view.
4. The staff are polite, efficient, and friendly. They take great care of me whenever I'm there.
5. The location is great - right across from the McGill University area.
6. Almost forgot to mention: the shower heads are really good.
I could go into the minutia of the benefits of staying here, but suffice it to stay that I have always had great experiences staying there, and those to whom I have recommended this hotel reported back to me after their stays that they were equally impressed.
Bottom line: Great hotel, great location, great price.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank VA-Mikey
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 4 December 2009

I stay at a lot of Hilton Hotels, but the Hilton Garden Inn really made me appreciate staying at a Hilton. The rooms were so quiet and peaceful, I spent as much time as possible there, relaxing.

I would highly recommend this Hilton to anyone looking for a hotel room that will relieve your stress.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank GianniRB
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 November 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. This hotel is at an excellent location, right on Rue Sherbrooke Ouest (West).

We found that the property was fairly new, and well maintained. All of the staff we encountered spoke French & English, and happily switched between both based on our interaction.

The rooms were extremely clean. Having free access to WiFi, as well as a microwave and refrigerator in the room were really helpful. The bathroom in *our* room did not have a tub (may be a concern for some - not an issue for us).

Staying at this hotel will put you within walking distance of the Metro (Place-des-Arts), as well as restaurants/shopping (Rue. St. Catherine, etc). The hotel offers underground parking for $20 (CAD) a day. We didn't experience a problem finding a spot in their facility, and left the car there for the duration of our stay (walked and used the Metro).

Overall, I was very pleased with our stay at this hotel. I have visited Montreal several times, and have stayed at a couple of other properties. We found a very good rate for this stay, and would certainly stay here again (if the price is right).

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed 23 November 2009

This is a great hotel! It's a new property and it has a great location in downtown Montreal. Staff is very friendly and welcoming, makes you feel like you're at home. The rooms are really nice and they have a beautiful pool and fitness room, and a great restaurant. Would definetly return and recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
picker
Reviewed 19 November 2009

Good rainy, foggy weekend. Rooftop gym good. 2 treadmills need fixing. Hotel restaurant surprisingly good value.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business