“Great food, service not so great”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Local

Le Local
Ranked #203 of 5,682 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$51 - US$51
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Queen
Transit: Metro Square Victoria, sortie St-Jacques
MARKHAM
“Great food, service not so great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Location is a post industrial, gentrifying area. Decor is eclectic and interesting. High chair seating was less than comfortable. Food was inventive and interesting. Service was mixed in efficiency and the meal took more than hour to arrive! There is also an undue pressure to order the higher ticket wines.

1 Thank GeorgeFMarkhamON

Toronto, Canada
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Been before and good but this time disappointing. Bitter mash, liver overdone and cut like baseball steak, covered in too rich sauce. Service a bit of an arrogant feel. Too bad.

1 Thank g0002014
Ottawa, Canada
“Food was really good but the customer experience ruined it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Dined May 17 for a party of 4 people at 10:30 PM.

Made reservations 3 weeks in advance at Le Local for a party of 4 to celebrate my partners birthday. Made a request to be seated in a particular place, and received a message from Le Local that we would be receiving this seating arrangement upon our arrival.

Reconfirmed with Le Local on our reservation, 48 hours in advance. When we arrived, I was a little disappointed and irritated because I did not get the table I was promised for the group.

What caused me to be irritated was that I was greeted by a gentleman who had said that our table (which I'm assuming was the one I had initially requested) was being cleaned up and it will take a couple minutes.

Much to my surprise that was a lie.

We ended up being seated to what looked like a last minute table arrangement, as we were propped by hallway which lead to the bathroom and right in front of prep area where a chef made desserts, additionally we were also in the line of fire to where the servers were coming and going with food.

The worse part about this situation is that the table wasn't part of the actual floor pan in itself. The reason why I say that so boldly is because I did a walk around of this restaurant while we were waiting for that 'few minutes' and there wasn't a table there initially. Go back to the bar area, we get called from that same gentleman, but like a magic trick there was suddenly a table in an area that was once void of a table.

Regardless, I was happy I didn't mention the seating reservations I had planned because that would off been awfully embarrassing for me after seeing that my request which was promised was not met.

Moving forward, the food itself was fantastic and I don't think you can go wrong with the choices they had on the menu. They were all full of flavor and the portions were plenty. So much so that none of us had room for dessert.

I ordered the Lobster Roll served with an Asparagus salad; it was really yummy. The lobster was creamy and rich and the asparagus salad had such a perfect contrast of taste that it was a good match of flavors. I recommend it.

My partner, she had a Golden Beet Salad with bacon and panko breaded soft boiled egg. I had a little taste and thought it was fantastic but was just overwhelming rich for my taste buds especially for an appetizer. It had the sweet and salty taste, and the panko breaded soft boiled egg gave it the nice creamy texture to the turnip and greens. I was also able to pick up on truffle.

As a main, I ordered the Beef Chuck. There was a lot of contrasting flavors and texture to this main. It was served with what I believe was a pureed squash served in a reduction sauce, and a cabbage stuffed cabbage. The Beef Chuck was perfectly cooked and a good size for anyone, even if you're a big eater like myself. It has a sweet and smoky taste, and when you take the bite the beef just melts in your mouth. The cabbage stuffed cabbage didn't have much flavor but acted as the neutral party to try and balance off the sweetness of the dish, which it did to a degree. The squash and sauce reduction was very yummy and paired well with the beef. The cabbage was a good mix to soften the sweetness of the dish and was good a neutral match to the two. If you are someone who doesn't mind a slightly sweet dish, I would very much recommend this as I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The ravioli was the dish my partner ordered and it was so and so. I tried a taste but I was to busy enjoying my dish so I can't recall anything on what she ate. Haha.

Outside of the disappointing start with the customer experience upon entering, the waiter/waitress staff were fast and efficient. But they weren't very social nor friendly. Let me clarify though that they were not rude! We've been to other restaurants throughout Montreal and have received better waiter/waitress service then this. However, I do compliment them on being very attentive and efficient with there service.

I would recommend this restaurant for the food, but not so much the customer service experience. Maybe it was the night we arrived and the staff were having a bad night, but I wouldn't go back due to the experience I had. It is unfortunate because I would totally go back for the food.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Ozzie A
Montreal, Canada
“Good Food Poor Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

My boyfriend and I were in Montreal for a romantic birthday weekend. This restaurant sounded fitting for this occasion. The atmosphere was nice, bit loud but our reservation was for 9:45 so not unexpected. We ordered wine and appetizers to start, taking our time. Our server seemed put off when we didn't order our mains immediately. Then asked us if we were local, we barely got the words out of our mouth as to where we were from when we were all but dismissed by him. He turned and walked away mid-sentence. We found this to be very rude and upon speaking with the manager our experience went further downhill and we left.
It would appear they are true to their name Le Locale!!!! And are not interested to making tourist welcome or enjoy their experience at this restaurant. I would not recommend this establishment to vacationers.

2 Thank LCOB
“One of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Wow, I am from Montreal and I can honestly say this is some of the best food I've had in a long time. Their squid salad entrée is absolutely amazing. I will definitely be back.