“Definately worth a visit.”
Review of Le Local

Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Queen
Transit: Metro Square Victoria, sortie St-Jacques
Aberdeenshire
“Definately worth a visit.”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We would never have found this restaurant on our own but it was recommended so we went along.
We sat at the outside area which was very pleasant.
The staff were very friendly and explained the menu.
I had the special of pork belly to start which was sooo tastey and melted in the mouth.
For main I had the special of sirloin steak on a bed of vegetables with mash purée.
Our friends had the 28oz rib eye roast served with roast veg & bearnaise sauce between the two of them, they said it was delicious and they cleared the plate.
Their steak took 45mins to cook ( medium/rare ) so be prepared to wait a while.
I would eat here again and I would recommend others to try it.

• Visited June 2014

Montreal, Canada
“For large, loud groups only”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Le Local used to be an attractive choice for dining not far from the Old Port; however, last night's visit (a business dinner) revealed several unfortunate changes. It looked beautiful on the outside, leafy and with warm lighting. Inside, however, the previously cosy atmosphere was gone: artless house music was blared at a ridiculous volume, and the clientele was loud, immature and obnoxious. While I enjoyed my beef carpaccio appetiser, my main course of calf liver was virtually tasteless. The service was haphazard—they mixed up my cocktail order, switched rare vs. well-done dishes among guests in my party (caution: their idea of well-done seems to be to turn the meat into shoe leather), and it was about a half hour from the time the main-course plates were cleared off the table until anyone thought to bring us dessert menus. By then, my head was splitting from the din of the music and rowdy guests, so we excused ourselves and left without dessert or coffee. Perhaps Le Local would be an okay space for birthday parties and the like, but it's definitely not a restaurant for foodies or for anyone hoping to have a nice quiet conversation over dinner.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank WMarkR
MARKHAM
“Great food, service not so great”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Location is a post industrial, gentrifying area. Decor is eclectic and interesting. High chair seating was less than comfortable. Food was inventive and interesting. Service was mixed in efficiency and the meal took more than hour to arrive! There is also an undue pressure to order the higher ticket wines.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank GeorgeFMarkhamON
Toronto, Canada
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Been before and good but this time disappointing. Bitter mash, liver overdone and cut like baseball steak, covered in too rich sauce. Service a bit of an arrogant feel. Too bad.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank g0002014
Ottawa, Canada
“Food was really good but the customer experience ruined it.”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Dined May 17 for a party of 4 people at 10:30 PM.

Made reservations 3 weeks in advance at Le Local for a party of 4 to celebrate my partners birthday. Made a request to be seated in a particular place, and received a message from Le Local that we would be receiving this seating arrangement upon our arrival.

Reconfirmed with Le Local on our reservation, 48 hours in advance. When we arrived, I was a little disappointed and irritated because I did not get the table I was promised for the group.

What caused me to be irritated was that I was greeted by a gentleman who had said that our table (which I'm assuming was the one I had initially requested) was being cleaned up and it will take a couple minutes.

Much to my surprise that was a lie.

We ended up being seated to what looked like a last minute table arrangement, as we were propped by hallway which lead to the bathroom and right in front of prep area where a chef made desserts, additionally we were also in the line of fire to where the servers were coming and going with food.

The worse part about this situation is that the table wasn't part of the actual floor pan in itself. The reason why I say that so boldly is because I did a walk around of this restaurant while we were waiting for that 'few minutes' and there wasn't a table there initially. Go back to the bar area, we get called from that same gentleman, but like a magic trick there was suddenly a table in an area that was once void of a table.

Regardless, I was happy I didn't mention the seating reservations I had planned because that would off been awfully embarrassing for me after seeing that my request which was promised was not met.

Moving forward, the food itself was fantastic and I don't think you can go wrong with the choices they had on the menu. They were all full of flavor and the portions were plenty. So much so that none of us had room for dessert.

I ordered the Lobster Roll served with an Asparagus salad; it was really yummy. The lobster was creamy and rich and the asparagus salad had such a perfect contrast of taste that it was a good match of flavors. I recommend it.

My partner, she had a Golden Beet Salad with bacon and panko breaded soft boiled egg. I had a little taste and thought it was fantastic but was just overwhelming rich for my taste buds especially for an appetizer. It had the sweet and salty taste, and the panko breaded soft boiled egg gave it the nice creamy texture to the turnip and greens. I was also able to pick up on truffle.

As a main, I ordered the Beef Chuck. There was a lot of contrasting flavors and texture to this main. It was served with what I believe was a pureed squash served in a reduction sauce, and a cabbage stuffed cabbage. The Beef Chuck was perfectly cooked and a good size for anyone, even if you're a big eater like myself. It has a sweet and smoky taste, and when you take the bite the beef just melts in your mouth. The cabbage stuffed cabbage didn't have much flavor but acted as the neutral party to try and balance off the sweetness of the dish, which it did to a degree. The squash and sauce reduction was very yummy and paired well with the beef. The cabbage was a good mix to soften the sweetness of the dish and was good a neutral match to the two. If you are someone who doesn't mind a slightly sweet dish, I would very much recommend this as I enjoyed it thoroughly.

The ravioli was the dish my partner ordered and it was so and so. I tried a taste but I was to busy enjoying my dish so I can't recall anything on what she ate. Haha.

Outside of the disappointing start with the customer experience upon entering, the waiter/waitress staff were fast and efficient. But they weren't very social nor friendly. Let me clarify though that they were not rude! We've been to other restaurants throughout Montreal and have received better waiter/waitress service then this. However, I do compliment them on being very attentive and efficient with there service.

I would recommend this restaurant for the food, but not so much the customer service experience. Maybe it was the night we arrived and the staff were having a bad night, but I wouldn't go back due to the experience I had. It is unfortunate because I would totally go back for the food.

Visited May 2014