“Local al Fresco”

Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Queen
Transit: Metro Square Victoria, sortie St-Jacques
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Dining al fresco in Montreal on a warm summer evening has always put me in a wonderful mood. Le Local is situated in a gentrifying post-industrial area not far from downtown and Old Montreal, but not touristy. The indoor area is spacious and trendy looking, with a crowded bar on a Thursday evening. The outdoor area was partly surrounded by plastic curtains to protect against the wind, but our table was in the open. In fact, an apple fell from an adjacent tree unto our table just after we were seated!

The wine list is extensive and priced on the high side, even for Montreal. The menu is focussed with less than a dozen appetizers and a similar number of main courses, with variations of some items appearing on both lists. The lobster roll with a small asparagus salad was an excellent appetizer, as was the grilled octopus salad. The beef tartare lacked capers and onion, but was nicely spicy and delicious. The accompanying fries were limp. In general, the chef seemed to be aiming for bold, aggressive flavors, and succeeded.

Service was knowledgeable and attentive, but the kitchen was slow. With a bit more wine, the techno background music became almost soothing. This restaurant is a 4 now, but in November will be a 3. Ah, summer in Montreal!

1  Thank David W

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We really enjoyed our evening at Le Local during our recent trip to Montreal from Toronto.

Food - 4/5
To start we had the grilled octopus salad and the bitter lettuce salad. Very simple dishes elevated to a higher standard. I even made mention to my partner that these were both dishes my mother who comes from a small village in the north of Greece who's culinary indulgence is KFC (only on toonie Tuesday) would not be nervous to try and would enjoy very much.

For our mains my partner had the cheese ravioli with duck confit. It was very rich and decadent. The cheese filling was creamy and smooth. For a non pasta eater she adored it and so did I from the samples I fought for. My main was the catch of the day. A beautifully prepared pan seared white fish on top of Chinese broccoli, shitaki mushrooms mixed veg and sprouts with light Asian broth.

Desert came as a suggestion from the waiter. The pot de cream was just enough to satisfy my sweet tooth and cap of a lovely meal.

Service - 4/5
Our waiter was very well mannered and attentive. He was very knowledgeable and gave great recommendations on wine and the food. The best part was he was there when we needed something and absent so we could enjoy our company when we didn't need him.

Our only one complaint with the service came from the server who brought us bread. He seemed to throw down the butter and bread without so much as a hello or excuse me.

Location/Atmosphere: 4/5
The restaurant is situated just outside old Montreal tourist area. It's like finding a hidden gem that only local know about. The decor is industrial contemporary. A real nice touch using the old building to its fullest and adding some modern elements. My only complaint was with our seating. The chairs look to be wicker patio furniture. It made sitting at the table awkward and hard to talk to.

Price - 4/5
By Toronto standards we found it very reasonable. Two starters, two mains, dessert, coffee and two drinks each will put you in the $150-200 range. Not unreasonable for a nice night out.

1  Thank FetaLovingGreekGuy
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have never before in my life been treated so poorly by a restaurant. The chef literally turned to a member of our business party as he walked by and screamed a swear in his face. What was even more sad was that the sophomoric chef was screaming profanities and a businessman in jacket and tie and one that complimented the wine and appetizers to the manager. It was also scary and threatening that the chef clearly had wait staff standing to the side and around our group prepared for a fight as we received glares and comments from a few.

When we left, our waiter (who was very helpful and kind) and the manager (beside himself and extremely apologetic and appalled at the chef's profanity and unprofessionalism) pulled us aside and repeatedly said they were sorry. This made the situation even more absurd as the chef was publicly swearing profanities and clearly had the wait staff surround us during our departure.

There were 12 of us here for a group dinner and the restaurant was recommended to us by the hotel concierge. I assure my next phone call will be to the concierge service at both of our downtown hotels and the businesses and staff we are working with in Montreal.

On a positive note: We began by asking for pairings and happily had a sommelier in our group. The waiter and manager were very helpful with recommendations and the salmon and beef tartar was very good.

At the hour point of waiting for our entrees, a colleague privately asked the waiter if he knew how much longer it may be until our food was served. The waiter returned, acknowledged it was a little slow, but said that he spoke to the kitchen and that it should be ready in five minutes. Thirty minutes later two colleagues inquired and the manager became involved (he was very professional). The chef suddenly walked over and quickly became enraged and swore. The manager apologized and tried to calm the chef. This was ludicrous. It is a sad day when a chef is allowed to interact in such an offensive manner with the patrons. A restaurant should know a chef is involved when personally asked for by a patron to be complimented on the cuisine and not to scream profanities.

If you like good wine and tartar and don't mind a chef swearing at your colleagues and screaming profanities in a quiet persons face whilst some of the wait staff prepare to fight you and display scowls, this is the place for you.

2  Thank SchiemyK
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was there for a business dinner. The surroundings were not very promising. The local itself looked nice.
As group, we got a menu that was quite limited. The served meal, however, was quite good quality and it tasted well. There was some problem with the dessert. First we got the wrong plates, then we didn't get anything before claiming (then the dessert came quickly). The price at the end was quite high for my feeling (mainly due to the wine).

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel concierge and it was a great recommendation. There is outside seating which is very nice and the restaurant inside has a warm, inviting feel to it. We had limited time because we were going to Cirque de Soleil. The waiter kept us on track without making us feel rushed. The food was excellent. My husband had the pork belly as an appetizer and I had a salad. We then had the Ribeye for two and our cousins had the Sirloin. All of it was absolutely delicious. This was one of our best meals in Montreal. Its at the edge of Old Montreal and a bit off the beaten track but don't let that stop you. You won't be sorry and I will happily go back anytime we are in Montreal