“watch out for hidden fees”

Auberge du Carre St-Louis
Ranked #31 of 143 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Our stay itself was fine. Great location, within walking distance to Old Montreal but not in the sterile environment of downtown. Great restaurants nearby. Breakfast at the hotel was poor, with croissants that I swear came from Costco (the Kirkland yogurt was a good hint). The problem for us was that our reservation through booking.com didn't mention that the rate was for 1 person (for a room with 2 queen beds and a kitchen). It stated the rate was for "max 2 people". When we arrived we were told there was an additional fee for a 2nd person in the room as well as a $4 booking fee because we used booking.com. That put the price out of the budget-friendly category. The room was nice, though it was up 4 flights of stairs. We reserved and paid for a parking space but twice had to wait while the staff cleared the space. One time it was clear they had 3 cars booked for 2 spaces. In general, it was a lot of hassle but we had a good trip anyway.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Lucyplus2

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I Throughly enjoyed my stay at Auberge St Louis, June 26 -29. The staff was welcoming thoughtful and attentive. Assisting me with finding Jazz Fest tickets and venues. And providing direction on getting around easily -- on foot. And without their recommendation I would not have experienced a terrific Portugese restaurant near by. My room was spacious clean and comfortable. There is a good sized roof deck with a large jacuzzi for relaxing or socializing. Parking is at the hotel is limited. But, for a few dollars more indoor parking is available across the street. I'll be back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank terminal9
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I are well traveled. We know a good place when we see it and have traveled internationally a number of times.

After an extensive search, we decided to try this hotel. It was marginally more than a few others in the area but promised some of the amenities that travelers in the States would expect. We were a little apprehensive about having to walk up to the third floor to access our loft w/kitchenette and 2 queens beds room but decided to give it a go.

We couldn't be more pleased. The room was luxurious and romantic with sparkling clean bathroom and kitchenette. We had quiet, efficient a/c, plenty of outlets for our electronics, a strong wi-fi signal, large, comfortable beds with luxurious sheets, a great view, extra seating, a sumptuous breakfast and a thoughtful, courteous and helpful staff.

The location is ideal! There is a huge variety if eateries, sidewalks cafés, bakeries, coffee shops and stores just outside the front door. There's a metro stop less than a block away. We actually walked to Mont Royale and the Old City, long walks, but doable.

Having to walk up to our room was an easy exchange for all the comfort and benefits of this great hotel. We've stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels in the States that were not as well appointed and less clean than this one.

Our hats are off to the proprietors. We'll be back!

Room Tip: The kitchenette rooms are exceptionally well appointed.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kuvakas
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here fri and sat night.
The bad- no elevator and the steps are steep.
This is an old old building converted into a hotel.

Internet speed was awful. Skype had a hard time so did videos.

No parking for a car but why do you need one when in Montreal.

The hotel was very quiet at night despite being able to clearly hear people walking on the hardwood floors past my room but it wasn't a disturbance at all.

Stand up shower only in my standard queen room. It was spacious enough.

Didn't try the breakfast because why would you when there is so many good places to eat close.

Security latch on door needed repair.

Queen Bed was clean and comfortable.

Location is really good. Bixi station right on the corner and a cab station just across the street. Walking distance to many eateries and bars.

At $100 a night I would stay here again for a short duration. Not sure I would like it if I had to be there more than 4 days.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Heathbar-willtravel
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This is a fantastic place to stay on the east side of Montreal...It is small but provides all of the amentities that the big hotels offer without the higher expenses. The rooms are not real big but we got a queen size bed which was comfortable with fridge, Wi-Fi, flat screen TV, free breakfast, newly renovated with modern bath, wooden floors, deck, and Jacuzzi one floor up. The only negative things that I found was no elevator (rooms on 2nd floor) and no parking. If you can live without these features, you will love this place as we do...OH YEAH, FRONT DESK PEOPLE ARE GREAT AND WILL HELP YOU AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

Room Tip: Airport to hotel via taxi is flat rate of $40 plus tip...rooms extremely quiet!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John A
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a three night stay. Stayed in a suite on the fourth floor. It was a large room with a couch and a jetted two person tub in the room. Separate shower in the bathroom. Lots of nice new towels. Service was spotty. They didn't clean the room or replace towels the second day. The third day they did and also put robes in the room. Be aware there is no elevator. I didn't mind but some might. The breakfast was on the second floor. Basic but fresh. Hard boiled eggs yougert croissants muffins fruit peanut butter jelly juice and tea. You bring it back to your room. Tea is available during the day. The area surrounding the hotel is ecclectic. Lots of restaurants and bars and funky shops. Lots of street people sitting around or asking for change. The metro is down the street. Only two parking spots on a first come basis. I will probably stay in Old Montreal next time but it was an experience to stay in the Latin Quarter.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Hermannvisitor
Reviewed 25 June 2013

It's my second stay at this Auberge and I stayed in a very nice room with my wife. It's a new section of the hotel, i had a really good service with Mariana. The continental breakfast is delicious, very healty with fruits and oatmeal - I RECOMMEND IT !!

Room Tip: no swimming pool but they have a big private spa on the rooftop! I recommand the Laferrière room!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple