“Location Location Location”

Residences Universitaires UQAM West
New York City, New York
“Location Location Location”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I have stayed at UQAM West three times for the Montreal Jazz Festival. This University Dorm is one block away from the festival. It is also convenient to buses and Metro. Plenty of restaurants are within walking distance. I have stayed in a studio room with a bed for 2 people, private bathroom and small kitchen area. Food can be stored in the fridge. There is a large laundry room on the ground floor. I'm not sure how old the building is, but it still feels new to me. The overall decor and atmosphere is modern. The UQAM web site provides a sufficiently detailed description of the rooms that are available. I was given a 15% discount on the remainder of my bill when I checked in. You may save some money by using UQAM web site for booking or being a repeat customer. A negative is the lack of air conditioning. There is a ceiling fan in the room. I never had trouble falling asleep with the fan on. There are common rooms on the ground floor with AC, TV and games. I am very satisfied with UQAM West and I will probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor. There is some traffic on Rue St-Urbain.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This isn't a hotel per se but a university student residence with rooms to rent.
They are very basic or plain rooms/dorms (the least expensive rooms have shared bathrooms) and ideal for tourists on a tight budget.
My room was a studio with a private bathroom and a small kitchenette (no utensils, mugs, etc provided). There was soap and shampoo but in small quantities.
The bed and setting was just all right but I wouldn't say comfy. The residence has an IDEAL location (a few blocks from the metro station, and close to all downtown attractions) but the rooms are really for a night or two. Just a reminder that summer in Montreal tends to be humid and though the rooms have no air-conditioning, at least there's a ceiling fan. Again it's very basic so if that's what fits your needs, I think it's a good choice.

Room Tip: If in summer, request a room with a ceiling fan as there is no air conditioning
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Perfect location (right in the middle of downtown close to all the bars, restaurants and shopping), friendly and polite staff, when i got there room was extremely clean. I stayed here because of the $52 a night rate they offer to Pouzza Fest goers and was satisfied with my stay here during the festival. My only complaints are no microwave, no A/C. and no everyday cleaning (although this second doesn't bother me as I am like George Costanza from Seinfeld and I don't like how hotels make up the bed). Overall an excellent value and I will continue to stay here on my future visits to Montreal and would recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: there is no air conditioning, microwave or daily cleaning, but this didn't bother me in particul...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
england
Reviewed 9 September 2013

What you get a UQAM is a basic room in a good location for Montreal. Overall I think the value for money is quite good. In my room, the wired internet didn't work but I was able to access eduroam from the adjacent university building. One night there was a very loud party at the end of the corridor. And, like others have said, it's very, very hot! Still, apart from the night of the party, I slept soundly every night - all in all a good budget option.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Toronto
Reviewed 26 August 2013

You get what you pay for here. If you go in expecting exotic finishes, you have booked the wrong place.

You can't beat the location, it is within walking distance to tons of bars, restaurants, attractions and the subway.

The apartments have all the basics, good size living room, kitchen and rooms.

The only negative is that there is no air conditioning, so if it is a hot night you might have a slightly uncomfortable sleep. Also rooms could be cleaned a little better. But other than that I have no complaints.

At the terrific price, I highly recommend the UQAM residences for those on a budget. (great for young groups)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I had my doubts when we book this place as I am very picky, actually we began searching for hotels at last minute and all were booked because of a festival. We decided to try the University accommodation and to our surprised it was in a good condition. I had two minor issues:
1) There was no wifi, had to used wired internet
2) The hallway could use some air freshener.

The rooms however were clean and I would stay at this location anytime I visit Montreal.

Room Tip: We were on the the first floor
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sanjay L
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Stayed here for a night over Grand Prix weekend for a reasonable price compared to other hotels in the area.

This hotel has a great location - a couple blocks away from the St Laurent bar strip (perfect for students) and only a 10-15 minute walk to the shops on St. Catherine Street. About 15 minutes to Old Montreal too!

The hotel is very, very basic! Don't come expecting pampering and 5-star rooms - this isn't a 5-star. But it has the essentials, so a short stay here isn't too bad considering how cheap it is.

Compared to the McGill Residence Hall just a few blocks away, I would probably prefer this place to stay when it comes to location and cleanliness. While the rooms aren't in perfect shape, they are clean. Towels provided as well.

The only thing this place lacks is A/C. It's a big downfall because the rooms are VERY hot. The windows can be opened but lack screens so we were wary to leave our window open overnight.
The rooms are also small - but for the price you pay what would you expect? At least the rooms are private with their own washroom.
Another downfall is the parking nearby in the UQAM parkade - $30 for Saturday/Sunday (one night) - a little more expensive then used to, but just prepared to pay it due to the location of the hotel. Might want to research for cheaper nearby parkades.

NO wifi - but there was a cable in our room to hookup if we wanted to.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel/residence to those on a budget or to student travellers. I'd stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends