“Suitable if you need a bed to crash for the night”

Residences Universitaires UQAM West
Toronto, Canada
“Suitable if you need a bed to crash for the night”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

PROS: Room was very clean. The price was very good compared to a hotel considering I had a private room, private bathroom and a kitchenette. Good location, just 1 block north of Place Des Arts metro station and easy walk to Rue St. Catherine. Front reception staff available 24hours/day (or so it appeared since I returned to the building at 2:00AM one night). Small towel and facecloth provided in the room at no extra charge. Room was reasonably spacious for one person.

CONS: No air conditioning (although there is a ceiling fan). Fortunately for me, it was a cool night despite being the end of July, so it didn't bother me. Mattress was rock hard - not very comfortable. Shower stall and bathroom sink were VERY small. Check-in time not until 4:00PM; however, I didn't know this and arrived at 1:00PM, and fortunately my room was ready so they let me in. No trash can in the room (? an oversight perhaps).

Overall, it suited my nights - I just needed a bed to crash in for a single night. But I'm not sure I could have slept on that mattress for more than one night, or coped if the weather was hot and muggy (as it often is in Montreal in summer).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Kittykat416
Residences-UQAM, Front Office Manager at Residences Universitaires UQAM West, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

As you mentionned, our office is open 24h/day to better accomodate our guests. Also, our building does not have A/C, but our rooms are equipped with ceiling fans, and we provide portable fan upon request.

Furthermore, we'll better inform the check-in time to our futur guests.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve our quality of service, and we hope to welcome you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Saskatoon, SK
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Our room was simple, and un-airconditioned as advertised. I wouldn't stay in August, but in June the overhead fan was enough to sleep by. Lots of traffic on the main street side we were on - ask to stay on the side facing the alley if you can. Staff was busy, but friendly enough. Definitely a good value. Convenient to walk or bike (check out the rental service Bixi) all over Montreal.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank uncannycanuck
Hi,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the UQAM Hostel/Residences.

We look forward in welcoming you again.
Marseille
Reviewed 23 June 2010

This place is a dorm. a clean and practical place to live in downtown Montreal. we rented the studio appartment that comes with a full kitchen (fridge and stove) no microwave and no cookware. (apparently available upon request.)

the unit (studio) is practically a one bedroom appartment. the room is about 10 x 11. the living room is kinda 12x 12. windows partially open outside. bathroom has vanity, toilet and a shower. we were lucky to be facing the inside garden, so no street noise could reach us.

what i find disappointing is that i was expecting a little more furniture than what was supplied. in the room was a doublebed a student desk, a wardrobe and a night table. a fan in the ceiling was the most appreciated asset.

in the living room was a second student desk , a small square table with 2 chairs, a waiting room style double chair and a rectangualr table.

internet access is wired, 5Meg speed and very stable (ethernet cable) but you have to unplug the phone (voip). no TV. i was lucky to have my laptop with me to watch TV online. otherwise......

the building has laundry facility, parking is extra (20$ perday).

i will recommend this place for only one major reason, the unit was CLEAN. I mean no dirt anywhere. you only need to bring good towels and and accessory to make life confortable.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Hi,
Thank you for your great comments.
We're happy that you enjoyed your stay at our etablishment and thank you the exhausted description of our etablishment.

We hope to have the opportunity in greeting you this summer.
Bermuda
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We choose the place for the location & were happy enough with the room. A fridge, sink, your own bathroom, & the windows keep all the noise out. I lived in dorm rooms for 3 years & these were definitely better than the ones that I had. The place is clean, but oddly enough, I ran into a familiar problem. During a festival, we went to bed at 11:30 & had to get up at 3:30 for our flight. At midnight, a drunk girl got off the elevator outside & nicely informed everyone she'd be OK once she got back to her room. She wasn't staying in the next room, but for the next hour+, she then informed everyone tearily that 'I lost everything!'. Somehow I didn't have too much sympathy. Maybe I'm getting old.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Hi,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Please accept our apologies for what happened with the "drunk girl". Our staff would have taken necessary steps in order to manage the situation, if they were informed of the it (reception open 24h/day).

We hope to have the opportunity to meet you this summer.
washington
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Compare to other clients i was very satisfied of my stay. The price and location and the rooms are very good. The service a the reception was very nice and professional. The room that i had was spotless and actualy i was able to have some pots and pan to cook for myself.

I have no regrets in staying in this hotel and will be back next years.

thanks to them i had a great time

see ya soon

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Residences-UQAM, Front Office Manager at Residences Universitaires UQAM West, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
Hi,

Thank you for your great comments! We will be very pleased to see you soon.
Spain
Reviewed 27 August 2008

Go there only if you are a backpacker. The price is low, but so it is the quality of what you get. The room is like a corridor as narrow as a double bed. The neighbors are the most extrange people I ever met, I was afraid of going alone to my room. The toilet is small and you will not be able to use the washbasin without making your feet wet. I also would not let my children go alone in the surrounding streets, as it seems quite unsecure.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The environment
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Traveler01Spain

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Puno
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Stayed for one night in RÉSIDENCE DE L'UQAM - CENTRE-VILLE OUEST. Had booked in for 3

Stay here -

if you like a room with dirty floors covered in hairs,many of them curly (we told them and were offered another room that was worse!)

if you are interested in what students ate last term,most of it is still on the floor by the fridge

you like to be ignored by staff who have no customer service training

like paying over the odds for a room with no facilities

We checked out and a went to a beatiful hotel in the centre of the Latin Quarter (Auberge Espace Confort). A very clean studio room,well laid out,free internet,free breakfast and friendly efficient staff. For the same money as Uqam

• Liked — Nothing, although the guy looking after luggage was friendly
  • Disliked — Filth
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank tony&marilyn