“Very nice stay”

Ranked #30 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
USA
“Very nice stay”
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Everything was lovely. The rooms and bathrooms are large, clean, and beautiful. Beds are fabulous. VERY comfortable pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Traveling with a child, I often run into many hiccups when it comes to hotel rooms. And Le Westin Montreal was no different, although I was thought to believe that they were on top of things prior to my arrival.

I called three times to make sure that we had a crib in our room. You ask "Why did I call three times?" Well, I just didn't trust the people I spoke with. During the third conversation, the woman at the front desk assured me that they would put the crib in our room prior to arrival. That was more than I could have asked for, but it also seemed like they were promising too much by stating that they would do that.

When we checked in at the front desk, I reminded them that I needed a crib. The person at the front desk said that she saw the record where I called three times to confirm. And she said "oh I hope that there is one left for you because we are out of cribs." OMG! So she said that we should get one since I called ahead of time so many times and that it should be in our room. Sure enough, we got there and no crib was in the room. I had to call the front desk AGAIN (fifth time) to remind them to bring it up. How annoying!

One day when it was raining outside, we called down to get our car. They said ok we will have it out for you and didn't specify a time. After 40 minutes, still no car. It was busy down there, but really? 40 minutes??? So we cancelled the car and walked. When we called to cancel, they made no apologies and just said ok...as if they were relieved that they didn't have to get our car.

The room itself was actually very clean and nice. It looked like it had been renovated recently which made for a very comfortable stay. The room size was large even with a crib because I get automatically upgraded because of my status with SPG.

Overall, some hiccups but nothing that would stop me from staying here again. Nice location to Old Montreal.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Chitownee
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We celebrated my son's birthday in Montreal and the concierge was more than accommodating. They called the bakery, ordered the cake, had it delivered, and placed it in our room while we took him out for dinner so he could be surprised. They even went out of the way to find candles and matches. All this was done with a smile.

It is in very quaint Old Montreal, minutes from the Metro and near a variety of restaurants for the nights you want to stay close.
I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We don't normally stay in nicer hotels like this one, but we found a great deal for it on Hotwire.com. A group of friends (20's-30's) stayed here together in one room with two queen beds. We were visiting Montreal for the Diversite festival and we have absolutely no complaints about this hotel!

The hotel is in a great downtown location. It's directly beside Montreal's Old City, very close to China Town, and about a 7 minute walk from the popular Rue St Catherine, the main shopping hub of downtown Montreal. The area around the hotel is very clean with a few cute cafes & restaurants. If you're going for a festival like Diversite or Just For Laughs, it's about a 15-25 minute walk to those venues, or a quick taxi ride.

In any interaction with hotel staff (check-in, check-out, calling reception for hotel information, etc.), we were provided with prompt, quick, and polite service.

Hotel room, washroom, and walk-in shower were all exceptionally clean. The beds were amazingly comfortable. Refridgerator in the room made it easy for us to purchase some of our own items to keep in the room for the weekend. We were told we could even have a microwave brought to the room if we wanted.

The room had both wi-fi and direct-connection high-speed internet for free. We simply had to call reception to get a new log-in code every once in a while as it was changed frequently.

The indoor pool area was a nice way to relax. It's a small pool mostly for cooling off and refreshing yourself. There is also a hot-tub and cold-tub and a sauna. Hotel has a pool attendant on-hand to provide fresh towels.

We all were impressed with the hotel and would stay there again if we could get a reasonable price. We were travelling with Brock from www.backpackwithbrock.com so he may have a feature on the experience there.

Room Tip: Hotwire.com gave us the best room-rate & there were no problems upon check-in. We were treated w...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank dadarren
New York City
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Loved the staff and location of this property. I'd read some complaints about check in time but we arrived around 1p on a Friday and all was smooth. We were able to get into our room and quickly headed out to explore the city on foot. We also could have taken the metro due to proximity of the Place d'Armes station on the orange line. We ate breakfast daily at the Gazette and the buffet is very high quality. Worth taking advantage of if it's in your room rate. The rooms are of typical Westin quality and everything was up to expectations. I love the current shampoo and conditioner selection. We were upgraded to the Westin Workout Floor and while I didn't get to take advantage of the gym or the pool, both looked great. Love the idea of the glass bottomed pool. The operator responded promptly to minor issues in the room. I received some benefits as SPG member, but also love the specials on the hotel's own site. The Sweet Deal package is a very good one and the benefits are ones that can be used on along weekend without going to waste. There is some confusion among the concierge staff about some of the hotel's offers but overall great service throughout. With its location across from the Palais de Congress and right in the old city, I recommend this for business or leisure travelers.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Texas
Reviewed 1 August 2011

This hotel knows how to pamper a guest. The beds are 1st class, the rooms are large and well appointed. The showers feature a double shower head. The gym, glass bottom pool, sauna, cold pool, hot tub were all immaculately maintained. Service was excellent also, they even retrieved something from my parked car for me. The location is excellent as well, a close walk to St Catherines or to Vieux Montreal. The Science Center is a bit further but worth it, and it is also really close to Chinatown. Our stay was most enjoyable and if I ever return to Montreal I will be staying at Le Westin.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I chose this hotel for a recent vacation with my mom to show her the city I had already learned to love. I booked the Westin because I expected top quality and excellent concierge services. Unfortunately, on our first day we were given bad information by the concierge that caused us to waste time and miss opportunities. I asked about day tours on the water of the Harbor and to Quebec City. I was told there were none, to my surprise! I pressed the concierge and learned there was a Ferry to the small island where the Biosphere and Casino are located, but that "the Metro was much easier".

While I would agree that that the Metro is the best way to see the Biosphere, the information regarding day cruises was completely wrong!! 2 days later we learned that there were 2 day cruises to Quebec City which we had not been told about (one that returns by cruise and includes a visit to the falls on St. Lawrence (!!) , and another that cruises 1-way and returns by bus). However we learned about these too late and were stuck taking the bus which was recommended to us by Westin. The bus was fine... but it was not the tour we wanted and asked about and really wanted.

Additionally, we learned too late that there IS an evening cocktail/dinner cruise on a nice River Boat for scenic views of the city which we had not been told about.

We also cut our day short on day 2 at the Biosphere (which I HIGHLY recommend) because we were told that there was only 1 light show at 630pm for the Notre Dame cathedral. Not only was this information wrong, since there was a 2nd later show, but the tickets were sold out by the time we got to the cathedral at 6pm at the advice of the Westin.

Finally, the cleaning of the room could have been better. The ceiling of our bathroom was splattered with something gross (when we arrived and was never cleaned), and the the tile in the shower was mildewed. The hotel advertises itself as the "newest" luxury hotel in Montreal, but I have a hard time believing this.

I will comment that the location is ideal and the staff were all very friendly ... unfortunately though not as knowledgeable as they should have been. I believe they hire interns for the summer from France rather than locals and they do not seem properly trained as local experts to act as a concierge!

Finally, I would comment that the fitness center was woefully inadequate and the small pool was completely overrun by children the entire time of my visit.

I would probably book the W down the street next time whose concierges I found in previous stays to be absolute professionals!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank MenOnVacation
yanlap, General Manager at Le Westin Montreal, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Dear guest,

I apologize that your experience did not meet expectations. I assure you that guest service is top of mind here every day.

That being so, I immediately addressed your issues with the Head Concierge and it seems that unfortunately there was a misunderstanding / miscommunication in regards to what you were really looking for. In an effort to prevent such further miscommunication, we’ve urged the concierge team to ask as many questions as possible upon receiving requests so as to provide each of our guests with the most options available to them - based on their interests.

The fitness centre at Le Westin Montréal is one of the largest that can be found amongst Montréal hotels and contains only state-of-the-art equipment, but I would be delighted to get your recommendations on how we could improve it so that it better serves your needs.

As for the pool, it is indeed one of our most popular features and it has seen its share of swimmers over the recent heat wave.

Again, please accept my apologies and if you do consider coming back to Montréal do not hesitate to contact me directly and see for yourself that your recent experience is not typical of Le Westin Montréal.

Kind regards,