“Raw and Vegan - our family experiment”
Review of Crudessence

Crudessence
Ranked #433 of 5,723 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$13 - US$17
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Calgary
“Raw and Vegan - our family experiment”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The food here is excellent, but you will have to park your ideas about what raw or vegan food is like. If you expect things to look, feel and taste like meat then don't go here, if you want them to taste amazing, be beautifully presented and have a great nutritional profile then try Crudessence. The pancakes, wraps and salads are all great. The kids had ice cream sandwiches which they loved along with sunshine smoothies and caesar salads. The mushroom ceviche was excellent as was the carrot thai soup. Ready to try something different? This is the place.

Visited August 2013

Ottawa, Canada
“Delicious vegan food”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I have one of the Crudessence cookbooks, so I was excited to go to this restaurant while visiting Montreal. In fact, I told friends who live there that I was going there and they could join us or meet us afterwards (I was not negotiating on this despite their repeated attempts).
The food did not disappoint. My dining partner and I enjoyed the many flavours and textures in our appetizer (discovery plate) and dishes (Pad Thai, and "Tuna" roll). Our friend had a mushroom ceviche (which we tried on the discovery plate) and said she liked it.
Many dishes have an indicator that it's a 'fusion' dish with cooked elements instead of everything being raw. For example, many dishes had cooked quinoa (as did our discovery plate).
As with most 'raw' places, the food is pricey which I have come to expect, but it surprises my meat-eating friends.
I was hoping to try the desserts, but ran out of time.

I have to say that I was not at all pleased with our waitress. Even though the restaurant was almost empty, I had to call her over to ask for everything from water, to side dishes when our appetizer plate came, etc. Even when the other waitress told her to come to take our order, she took several minutes even though she wasn't doing anything important. She was extremely unattentive and I will try to get take-out or get a different waiter/waitress when I go back (as the one serving other tables seemed quite good and even filled in for us a few times when ours was off doing something else - because of her, I tipped normally).

My other complaint was that it was impossible to carry on a conversation when the kitchen had their high-powered blenders going. We were seated just across from the opening of the kitchen, but there should be a way to muffle some of that noise.

• Visited July 2013
San Rafael, California
“pricey delicious health food”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Their black and rustic crepes and bread are unique, and tasty. The dessert plate with many choices was great, smoothies and tea delicious, but the green energy shot is an acquired taste.

• Visited July 2013
Fort Collins
“Not sure if up to word of mouth”
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

This place came highly recommended but I walked away feeling a bit disappointed. We ordered dessert and the portions were extremely small and expensive $17 for 2 slices. the cheese cake was really good, cut mint chocolate gateau just didn't quite taste right and was very stodgy. Staff I attentive and borderline rude at one point. Will give another try because I love raw food but ready to look elsewhere if fails to deliver .

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Maggie D
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“Exceeded my expectations”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I found their book in a store local to me (14 hours away) and found it very interesting. A few months later we took a trip to Montreal area and happened to come across the Mackay restaurant while exploring the area. Just awesome. I am not vegan btw, avid lover of meat and most things not good for you. My wife who is also extremely picky also enjoyed everything she ate. I had a macao smoothie, the Mrs has some green vegetable drink. We started with the chef's selection of appetizers of cold squash soup, nachos, sushi, meatless balls and pate. I had the Om burger with bacon and cheese with side salad and the Mrs has the BLT alone. Only nitpick I had was that the salad was a little hard to eat because the greens were huge. We finished with the blueberry cheesecake, which I will add, is The best version I had ever eaten, nevermind that it has no dairy! I finally bought the book while I was there.

• Visited May 2013