“The host thinks of everything, so you don't have to! (Isn't that what vacations are about?)”

Saint-Andre-des-Arts
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montreal
Saint-Andre-des-Arts
Ranked #30 of 145 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed two nights at Saint Andre des Artes and as someone who notices details, I can say that Philippe is the kind of host that thinks of everything to make your stay comfortable.

Beds, with extra pillows were comfortable and the linens were nice. The air conditioner is a wall unit (instead of a window unit) which was barely noticeable when on.

Lighting was good, including bedside lights on each side, plenty of places to hang clothing and towels, and there were not one but two suitcase stands... You get the idea.

The location worked well for us, an easy walk to downtown, yet in the center of the village/latin quarter area. Breakfasts were tasty and continental-ish - I tend to need more protein in the morning, but the coffee was great and a full tea selection was available.

We had a room with a bathroom shared with just one other room, which was fine and very clean, access to the fridge and kitchen a real plus. Although the rooms were close to each other, noise did not travel.

We parked at the nearby library and it is between $9-12 per 24-hour period, depending on when you enter. That worked out just fine.

Really can't think of any downsides to staying here. Enjoy! Merci Philippe!

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed fine, just depends on if you want a private bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 July 2013

This B&B is very conveniently located near the main Montreal subway station, however the neighborhood seems to have quite a few homeless people and eccentrics. The rooms are very comfortable and well kept without being overly decorated. Philippe, the host, is friendly and informative, very helpful, even offering to do some laundry and providing a drying rack. A tasty breakfast, with two menus on alternate days: yogurt with fruit, granola and croissants or crepes with an assortment of jams (some homemade) and maple syrup. Philippe was extremely accommodating of dietary restrictions, serving soy milk and gluten free granola in addition to the regular fare. He very kindly provided special fruits for me.

Room Tip: Room 5 with ensuite bath is bright and, on the back side of the house, quiet. Room 4 is on the stre...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I stayed at the Saint-André des Arts 3 times. The place is very comfortable, spotless clean, and quiet, located in a small street at a short walking distance to the village and many restaurants.

Breakfast is served in the common dinning room, where you have the chance to meet other travelers from different parts of the world, creating a very friendly and convivial ambiance.

Bedrooms are nicely furnished, all with wi-fi, flat-screen TV and desk (if you need to do some work)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Serge G
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I hesitate to share the info about this b and b in the heart of Montreal, wishing to keep it my secret place. However, since all or most of the 5 rooms were occupied while I was there recently, the word is already out.

Philippe, the host, runs a great establishment. Everything is spotlessly clean and set out for comfort and convenience. The room we had for 3 nights was huge and well appointed. The breakfasts were healthy and much more than the usual "continental" offering. The common areas are a great extra for sitting with a glass of wine, reading or using the computer.

Phllippe is a friendly, engaging host, and is always there to help. He makes you feel very welcome and right at home.

The house is located very close to the Metro and there are stores on St. Catharines, a couple of blocks away, for daily provisions and needs. We walked into the downtown area and the lower plateau as well.

I would definitely return here, and indeed hope to so for a project I am working on. It provides an ideal base for Montreal, at a very fair price.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank flaneusecanada
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I was in Montreal for a conference and decided to try this B&B. I am so happy that I did! I made my colleagues jealous with my tales of my wonderful breakfasts and comfortable room (for a steal of a price!). First off, Phillipe was extremely welcoming and friendly! Even though I spoke practically no French, he made an effort to make me feel welcome and to introduce me to other guests. During breakfast, he would even translate back and forth during conversations with French-speaking guests so I (and they) would feel included and not at a disadvantage (very politely and effortlessly). He made sure to have breakfast ready early for me every morning and would chat with me, making sure I was enjoying my stay in Montreal. I stayed in Room No. 5, which had a private ensuite bathroom (slightly small bathroom, but clean and modern). The entire B&B was very clean and comfortable. There were so many little things that made this B&B stand out: tea/espresso available all day (no charge), a tray in each room so you could take a tea pot upstairs, a pitcher in the room so you could get cold filtered water from the fridge, access to the kitchen, a personal comprehensive tour of the B&B upon arrival, air conditioner in each room, Wi-Fi and a desk in the room, umbrellas to borrow, a phone for local calls, etc. I really can’t say enough how happy I was with this B&B!! The location was great (nice and close to St.Denis with all their restaurants)! The only negative I could see is if you had mobility issues, the stairs are quite steep inside to the 3rd floor. You cannot beat this, especially for the price!

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, pick the room on the main floor. Room number 5 has a private ensuite, w...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Katrina27
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Philippe owns a gîte in a perfect location in the center of Montreal. He is friendly and the gîte is perfectly convenient - very clean, well furnished, private bathrooms, possibility to use the kitchen to cook. For a week in Montreal, this is really an excellent solution for an affordable price. For travellers who wish calm, this is really perfect. He advised me a lot on what to do and see in Montreal, and was very friendly at breakfast - I would highly recommend you to choose his accomodation, which is a much more comfortable solution than going to an hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ma V
Reviewed 19 September 2011

The owner of the b&b, Philippe, is meticulous, warm and helpful in all ways. The gite, located in an old classic Montreal-style house, has been recently renovated to be clean, bright, modern and comfortable. Bathrooms are private but across the hall from the sleeping rooms. Food is delicious, ample and fairly simple, abundant with fresh fruit. Philippe always introduces guests to each other around the table and genuinely enjoys talking to guests and answering questions about his adopted city. He does insist that people leave their shoes in the lobby (as do other b&bs). The location is mixed--it is in walking distance to most attractions and desirable neighborhoods in the city, but being near the main bus station there are quite a few vagrants and beggars. Although the feeling was sometimes uncomfortable we never felt threatened or in danger. Despite the owner's caution, we had little trouble finding public parking the week we stayed there. In short: highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple