“A really nice surprise”

Ranked #290 of 5,976 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$16 - US$41
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Description: Robin des Bois is a not-for-profit organization which donates all its profits to four field organizations working directly in the urban setting. The community: at once our motivation and our inspiration. It is staffed, for the most part, by volunteers, and all the profits made by the restaurant and through the sale of merchandise are redistributed to local charities working directly within the community to ward off solitude, social isolation and poverty.
Reviewed 1 May 2014

When my friend told me about the concept of this place, I ratcheted down my expectations. Well, there is no need to do that.

We both started with lentil soup, which was rich and tasty. Our entrees were braised beef & carrots and a Cajun-style catfish dish. The beef was so tender it nearly melted in my mouth. The Cajun dish was very well executed and has a bit of kick to it.

For dessert I ordered butterscotch pudding, an old childhood favorite that I hadn't had in many years. This was worth the wait. My friend got Pouding Malva. I don't know what that is, but he gave me a bite and it was just faboo. I was too busy enjoying it to try to figure out how they make it.

You might have to watch your very pleasant, eager-to-please volunteer server struggle with the corkscrew or remind her that you need an extra spoon for your dessert, but if that's the sort of thing that bothers you, then maybe you should stay home, make yourself a baloney sandwich and complain about the government. If you like great food, courteous service and nice music in the background, then check this place out!

1  Thank TomAndMaggie

Reviewed 26 April 2014

A not-for-profit restaurant with volunteer staffs. Their profits are redistributed to local charities who work with the community to ward off poverty. Their menu changes every month with new guest chefs... The quality of foods are good and the service based on volunteers is acceptable... I went several times there

Thank M.A. J
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I love the food, which, although simple, always has a flair and is consistently good.

The ambiance is unbeatable and knowing that the people serving you are all volunteering is heart-warming.

I highly recommend the polenta fries (my personal addiction).

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Robin des Bois is a classy-rustic restaurant on the Main. Its unique as its set-up as a non-profit where the profits go to 4 local charities for local youth, women & poor. The kitchen is manned by full-time employees, while the wait-staff are mostly volunteer.
They have a brief menu ..... but all the food is prepared with wholesome organic ingredients (local produce, in season). The chef is creative & I love the way he blends in the various fruits & veggies with the meat/fish. His presentation is excellent & portions do not leave you hungry & rushing to the fridge when you get home.
It isn't cheap at $30 pp - but you are helping others. If you're going to get wine, order the carafe instead of the glass - way better value.

1  Thank cubandido
Reviewed 22 August 2013

What a wonderful restaurant; good food, beautiful décor, super service and all the profits, including tips, going to designated charities. Why don't other restaurants follow suit?
We had a lovely meal which was no more expensive than others in the area [about 20 dollars a head, special offer] with attentive service. The concept of giving to charity was explained fully to us and the charities supported were also outlined.
Bought some home-made mango jam from them; proceeds also going to charity.
Only one negative; Lonely planet had the wrong address for this restaurant; they had moved up the same road, a bit, 5 years earlier. Lonely Planet really should be more up to date, but if it hadn't been for them talking about this restaurant, we wouldn't have known about it.
What a pity we were on holiday; this place is a find.