“If you want to get rest, don't pick it.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Auberge L'Apero

Auberge L'Apero
Warsaw, Poland
“If you want to get rest, don't pick it.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stayed there for one night before my conference had started, and I had a long travel from Warsaw, so I had a terrible jet lag and I wanted just to sleep, that's all.

Appeared that this hostel has horrible acoustics and some club downstairs so I woke up many times and had felt irritated and tired in the morning. Good quality of beds and ok breakfast hadn't fixed it all for me.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank NC T
Paul852, Owner at Auberge L'Apero, responded to this review, 9 February 2015
Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry we were not able to meet your expectations; we will take your comments into consideration in order to improve our hostel.

We wanted to take the opportunity to let you know that we are not located near a club; rather, after doing some research, have found that the noise came from guests playing loud music in the common room. We have since taken several mesures to prevent this from happening again such as restricting access to the stereo equipment to daytime hours.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to improve your experience and perception, best regards.

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

I have stayed in better places, but also worse. But this hostel has a great downtown location. The rooms were clean, however there were plumbing problems while I was there, and they were trying to fix them while I was in the shower. Beds were comfortable and the heating was adequate during a particularly cold spell. I would stay here again as the price and location were right for me.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Worst hostel we stayed at in a 3 month trip across Canada and Europe.
Tiny rooms, tiny kitchen with only 1 fridge which is disgusting and appears to never be cleaned out. Included in the free food section during our stay was some rotting mince and lettuce, and various condiments that expired 5 months prior to our arrival.

Rarely any cups to use, no tea towels to dry dishes, people don't clean up after themselves despite warning sign advising of $5 penalty for not washing dishes.
Attracts weirdos - was really uncomfortable being in any of the common areas. Appears to be alot of long term guests who act as if they own the place.
Guy at reception is rude, more concerned with 'jamming' to terrible music blasting from reception (right next to the dorms) than answering the phone or pager from guests trying to check in.
2 bathrooms for 2 floors of people. 1 separate toilet which is always occupied.

Spend the extra couple of dollars and stay at the HI or anywhere else.

Room Tip: No room is a good room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed in this hostel because I wanted a quiet and affordable hostel in Montreal. Auberge is advertised as clean, calm, and relaxing. In fact, it was incredibly cramped (and I have stayed in hostels before) and very loud. Bedding was a bit dirty and there was hair on my pillow, too.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

If all you'll be using your room for is a place to crash after a long day this is the perfect place to stay. Our group of 6 had a whole dorm appointed to us after e-mailing them and experienced no problems upon arrival and during our stay. Lockers were provided and they were big enough to stow away our luggage for the day. I don't think we ever had time to check out the living space and kitchen area. This location is great because you can find nearly anything within a block of walking. The subway station, a grocery store, pharmacy, plenty of coffee shops and a McDonald's for the late night bite. The owner was very helpful in leading us to different areas of the city that we didn't have in our itinerary, making our experience much more enjoyable! The only downside was the room looked like it was still in repair.. I slept in the top bunk and could see the pipes in the ceiling but it shouldn't bother you when you're sleeping.

Overall, a great place to stay!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alex K
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

I stayed in this hostel for a total of 4 nights at the end of August - 4 nights too long.

There were no staff to check me in on my arrival. I stood outside the door ringing the doorbell for 10 minutes before I noticed a tiny, ripped up sign, a metre from the door asking locked out guests to go down the road to the payphone to call to be let in. With the luggage I was carrying, this was a major hassle and I was certainly left unimpressed to have to do this. When the staff finally showed up to do the check in, he wasn't rude but was certainly unwelcoming in his attitude - gave me my sheets, showed me my bed and then that was it. I found out 3 days later that there was free breakfast (of sorts) available, as well as a phone in the lounge room that could be used to make local calls free of charge.

I had to move rooms once while I stayed there, but both beds I had were very sunken in the middle of the mattress. The kitchen was also a cramped and dirty affair, with plates both clean and dirty just left lying about the sink and not much by way of cooking utensils. The bathrooms were just hideous - in the days I was there I think I saw the staff clean them just once.

The staff were more interested in practicing their band music rather than do much hostel work - the hostel owner Paul was reluctant even to get up and open the laundry/store room door so I could retrieve my luggage one day when I needed to have it stored for a few days.

This kind of hostel seemed to appeal mostly to people who were in Montreal about to start uni, and were looking for longer term accomodation in the city. The only advantages of this hostel is that it is cheap and it is very close to Guy Concordia metro station. I was glad when I discovered another hostel down the road and very quickly transferred there. I won't be recommending Auberge L'Apero to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank YPanSydney_Australia
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Got a double room to enjoy the space and silence. Room was a good size - enough room for my pilates in the morning. Location - great as near to the Metro, downside above a buzzing street of cafes and bars - no drama with earplugs.
Having no kitchen facilities made it a bit hard and the greeny in me did not enjoy having to use the polystyrene cups/bowls & cutlery. Cardboard & bamboo would have been more eco )
Overall, a good back packers and would stay again.

Room Tip: Double room No1 - get ear plugs - nice big room just above hive of activity down below
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo