“Modern, Quaint and Comfortable”
Review of Le Petit Hotel

Le Petit Hotel
Ranked #5 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Modern, Quaint and Comfortable”
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I absolutely loved this hotel!! My sister and I had a "Large" room #201 and it was amazing!! It totally exceeded our expectations. The staff was top notch! Jennifer and Philippe were so helpful and gave us wonderful recommendations. Philippe even made us a reservation at Restaurant Holder which was perfect!! Our room was beautiful and spotless. The bed was so comfortable that it made it hard to motivate. Awesome shower as well. The location is perfect, right in the heart of old town. About a 20 minute walk to downtown. The breakfast was also amazing!! Croissants, fresh fruit salad, muffins, cereal, espresso, cappuccinos, yogurt and fresh baked bread. I will definitely be staying here again next time I am in Montreal!!

2 Thank 44Sea
Petit-Hotel-Mtl, General Manager at Le Petit Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear Stepha44,
We would like to thank you for sharing the love (and the great pictures of the hotel and room 201) about your Petit Hotel experience! Everybody on our team reads the reviews and we are delighted to have exceeded your expectations. I am glad that Jennifer and Philippe were able to help you with recommendations and reservations. They truly are an invaluable asset to the team. We look forward to seeing you again upon your next visit to Montreal.

Warm regards,

Joëlle Beaulieu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Me and my wife stayed at Le Petit for 2 nights. Amazing would be just the word to describe everything - location, staff, breakfast. We would love to be back.

Seattle
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We loved our stay at Le Petite Hotel. The front desk staff/ concierges were spectacular- everyone of them. The location was perfectly sighted in the middle of Vieux-Montreal, and literally a ton of great restaurants in the same block and surrounding area. We would definitely choose this hotel again.

1 Thank Anne G
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 27 November 2011

To give you an idea of the staff at Le Petit Hotel, I will share my experience when I arrive. I was not feeling well (a very bad sinus headache) that evening. I was intending to speak French but was having a difficult time just managing just getting where I was going. The concierge, I later found out was Alex, quickly switched to English and helped me checked in. When I told him how I was feeling, he suggested a hot pot of tea, which he kindly brought up to my room. When I walked in my room, there were soothing sounds of nature playing on the clock radio. Just the relaxing atmosphere that I needed. The room itself was modern, clean, and felt like a high-end hotel.

I was in a small room, which is very small. I felt a bit claustrophobic at first, but managed to adapt. Later, I opened my window for some fresh air and was reminded of hotels in Europe. The next morning, Joelle, the manager, spent 30 minutes with me going over all I wanted to see and making suggestions along the way. The breakfast is very French with fresh fruit, fresh breads, yogurts, and muesli. The chocolate croissants are outstanding. There is also a small coffee bar if you have more Americanized caffeine needs. Every evening when I returned back to my room, the clock radio was set to mellow jazz, which is more relaxing than having a chocolate on your pillow. One of the best breakfast moments was a morning when it was snowing. A group of us sat around the breakfast area enjoying the snow, good food, and great conversation.

To say that the staff at Le Petit Hotel is attentive is an understatement. Any question or concern was met. One night I fell ill. The next morning, the concierge looked up an available Pharmacy for me. When I got back, they made a point of seeing if I was alright and if I needed anything.

I will mention noise since it might be a concern for some travelers. I have lived in urban areas, so I enjoy a little street noise as part of my lifestyle. I am used to it, in fact. So, when I would hear groups coming home from a bar in the early hours, it was a comfort. If you are the type who needs to have quiet, I would suggest staying on the top floor away from the street. There is also the usual foot traffic around the hotel floors that you might hear occasionally. Again, this does not seem out of the ordinary. If you have ever stayed in a small hotel on the streets of Europe or Central / South America, this is nothing to be concerned about.

I have stayed in many a hotel around the world and this was one of the better experiences I've ever had.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Petit-Hotel-Mtl, General Manager at Le Petit Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear Denise J,

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your Petit Hotel experience in such depth. We are very grateful for your amazing review. It really means a lot to everyone on our team that we have been able to render one the better experiences you have ever had in a hotel.
Creating personalized memories and caring for special attentions is a pleasure every day. We are glad to have provided unique memories on the first days of winter. We look forward to the privilege of being your hosts in Montreal upon your future visit to our beautiful city.
Thank you!
Joelle, Alex & the team
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Everything about our stay at Le Petite was relaxing. From the moment we walked through their door, way before check in, after an early flight, Jennifer and everyone else working the front desk throughout our stay was kind, helpful, efficient and polite. Maybe it was the fact that the lobby doubles as an espresso bar? Maybe it was the upgrade to the larger room at no extra charge? (more on that in a moment.) Whatever the reason, my wife and I were instantly comfortable upon first contact with Le Petite Hotel.
As to that "upgrade". I had read a number of reviews on Trip Advisor warning against getting a room that fronts the street due to noise late at night when bars and restaurant's close. While I had kept that in the back of my mind on my virtual 'to do' list, I never got around to requesting a quieter room and when Jennifer presented us with our free upgrade I instantly calculated the hotel was full, too many people had requested quiet rooms and we were the schmo's getting moved to the front. While all of that is probably the reason for our upgrade, we also happen to live in New York City and the noise we hear from our window everyday would drown out a thousand Rue St. Paul Streets. As it turned out, there was a bit of noise for a brief period around 11pm, but it was transient and did not effect my ability to sleep better for two nights in a row than I have for months in my own bed.
We loved the decor of the room. Real stone and brick. The energy efficient lighting takes a few moments to get to full power, but once there we had plenty of light. The bathroom was well done with a light beige textured wall tile and porcelain "wood style" flooring. The glass sink was nice to look at but the more you use it, the more you realize it's not the kind of thing you'd want in your own home. What you would want in your home is the shower hardware featuring dual body jets stretching from waist to chest level. When set just right, you get the shower spray from above and either four mists or four jets -- your choice -- in any combo you desire. That in and of itself was a mini vacation inside our two day mini vacation.
Breakfast in the morning was also great. They make a terrific Cafe Latte, smaller than you might get at a specialty shop, but well made. And their assortment of croissants, cereals, yogurts and fruit was more than enough for us. Brewed coffee and juice are also available, but be sure to ask your server for the juice as it is not sitting out on the breakfast bar.
The staff was also helpful to us and all when it came time to plan dinner or find a show to see or simply get directions to the other parts of town. And that is our takeaway from this visit. Because as terrific as Le Petite Hotel is and as quaint as the streets of Old Montreal are, that area has clearly become nothing more than a tourist trap of very expensive restaurants, art and antique shops and souvenir stores. The real Montreal, as we found out, is one Metro Day pass and any subway stop you choose to take, away.
Stay at Le Petite Hotel. But get out of Old Town as early and often as you can.

1 Thank barry10028
Petit-Hotel-Mtl, General Manager at Le Petit Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Dear barry128,
Thank you for talking the time to share this detailed review with the TripAdvisor community. Jennifer, the rest of the team and myself were delighted to read that you experienced a relaxing stay and enjoyed our Petit Hotel, from the complimentary breakfast to the awesome multi-jet showers. Making our guests feel instantly comfortable, not in only in the hotel but also in Montreal, is what our team aims for everyday. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Kind regards,

Joëlle Beaulieu
Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2011

All the rave reviews are true. This unique little hotel was perfect for our stay, from the fresh breakfasts to the modern room decor, housed in a 19th century building with stone walls and wide wooden beams. To a person, the staff was hospitable, enthusiastic and extremely well-informed about the beautiful city of Montreal. The location couldn't be better. Windows that open for as much fresh air as you want. And the most luxurious, comfortable bed, pillows and bedding, ever!

Thank you for a wonderful stay. We will definitely be returning!

1 Thank Susan B
Dear Susan B,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with fellow travelers. We were glad to read that you experienced a wonderful stay and cannot wait to come back! The whole team sincerely appreciates your comments and looks forward to welcome you back at Le Petit Hotel upon your next visit to our beautiful city.

Warm regards,

Joelle Beaulieu
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We went to this hotel in the old city just for two nights to check out Montreal. We found it is an American Express travel guide.

Everything was great. The staff is really helpful. They will help you select sights to see and help arrange for dinner reservations. The hotel is in the best area of the old city near everything to see. The city is really walkable, so getting around is easy, and they have a reasonable parking rate. They offer a nice morning breakfast

Overall, perfect stay.