“Old World Charm with a view”

Auberge du Vieux-Port
Ranked #8 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Harvard, Illinois
“Old World Charm with a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

From the moment I walked in the door I knew that I’d picked a great place to stay. I had an early flight so I arrived at the hotel well before check-in at 3:00. I was greeted by Mylene who told me that she suggested not changing rooms (in order to check in early) as she had given me the top floor, facing the water, in the old part of the building. Exactly what I had requested!. As most hotels do, they stored my bags so that I could go explore the city.

Once able to check in to Room 503, I opened the door and just said 'WOW'. The rustic, old world charm and beauty of the room was gorgeous. Hardwood floors, exposed brick walls, beautiful (and comfortable) bed and an inviting table in the corner in front of the open window. There was also a desk to work at and an armoire that held the flat screen TV, and mini bar.

The bathroom was equally charming and included a jetted glass shower that was absolutely marvelous! There was plenty of room to move around, more than enough towels and an array of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soaps. There was plenty of water pressure, a welcome relief in today’s hotels of low pressure plumbing!

They offer the usual Continental Breakfast as well as your choice of an item off the breakfast menu at no charge. Fantastic! At the restaurant I had the best Fisn n’ Chips I have ever had – and I have had it in several states and cities. As it was quite windy the nite I had dinner there I moved inside, otherwise, there are several tables outside to dine at.

There is a rooftop terrace that serves drinks and hors d’oeuvres. It is open to the public as well and can get rather crowded. It offers great views of the city and the river.

As it is an old building, not a lot of extra outlets are available. I had to unplug a lamp in order to plug in my laptop while sitting by the window. This was in no way a complaint, however when I mentioned it to the front desk while chatting with Trifon and German, they immediately offered a power strip. Though I said it wasn’t necessary, within minutes of getting to my room there was a knock on the door and Fred was standing there with said power strip.

This is exactly the type of attention to detail, and guest comfort that the Auberge has to offer. Everyone that works there could not be any nicer or more accommodating. Greeting you with a smile and ‘Bonjour’ each and every time they see you and asking how your stay is and if there is anything they can do for you.

The Three Freds – the bellmen. I referred to them as Tall Fred, Middle Fred and Short Fred – in the nicest way of course! Yes, they are all named Fred as are 2 of the front desk girls named Marie! Michael one of the Concierge, is also fantastic. I had quite a bit of fun with Middle Fred and Michael, long chats with Middle Fred and several with Short and Tall Fred as well. Everyone is rather formal at first, but travelling alone, and talking to them quite a bit, they did loosen up a bit, yet remaining respectful just the same. They are all very willing to help in any way possible and make suggestions of places to go and things to see.

I can’t imagine staying anywhere else if I get to visit Old Montreal again – and I hope I do. I cannot say enough good things about the staff and the property. There simply is nothing at all negative, nothing to complain about and just a fabulous spot and fabulous people! Thank you everyone for making my first trip absolutely delightful and the best vacation ever.

Room Tip: Go for the 5th floor, facing the river and in the older section
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank BostonRae
AubergeDuVieuxPort, General Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, 16 June 2012
We are very glad to hear that you had an excellent stay with us.
I will personally make sure that your kind words of your satisfaction towards the service received, will be passed to the rest of the staff as I am sure they will greatly appreciate it.
It is our goal to make sure that you have an excellent and memorable stay .

We look forward to welcome you again at the Auberge du Vieux Port.

Sincerely
Eric Therrien

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

My husband and I spent a night in this beautiful hotel.The location is just perfect and convenient to any attraction in old Montreal, such as Notre-Dame Basilica, and of course there are a lot of nice restaurants, bars and convenience stores around the hotel. We were lucky to upgrade our room to a river view, king size bedroom, the entire atmosphere is incredibly charming and inspiring. We had window open and enjoyed the fresh breeze, heard the sound/music from street, very cozy. We also got free drinks at terrace of top floor and overlooked the old Montreal, it was so stunning and peaceful.
Auberge Du Vieux-Port is an authentic historical building, the staff is extremely helpful and warm. I definitely will visit it again !

1 Thank TiffLin
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

We had a problem with our room late at night and they did their best to fix it. Without going into details I would just say that you learn more about an establishment's commitment to customer service when there is a problem and they fix it. This hotel did that. Great staff. Small rooms (tripped over the bed several times to get to the bathroom) for the money, though.

1 Thank Mblaca
AubergeDuVieuxPort, General Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
On behalf of the Auberge du Vieux Ports team, we are glad to see that you appreciated our service and would like to let you know that it was our pleasure making sure you had an excellent time at the Auberge du Vieux Port.
I am sorry to hear that you found the room too small for what you’ve paid. I would like to reassure you that for your next stay, if there’s anything that you are unsatisfied with, please contact the front desk at all times and it would be a pleasure for my team to take care of your request. We are at all times here for you.

We look forward to welcome you again.
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

This hotel is perfectly situated as it is walking distance to many restaurants, bars and shops. We only stayed one night but arrived early enough to enjoy the old port area. We had originally asked to be put in a room in the old building but when we checked in, we discovered we had been placed in the newer building. Without any pressure, the hotel staff upgraded us into a room with a river view in the old building, which was really nice as they charged us for the original room price. We were put into room 401 which has nice exposed brick on two walls and the bathroom and it has two windows with great river views. The bed was queen size and very comfortable. The bathroom had a huge rain head with several jets that face you so we really enjoyed our shower in the morning.

We did take them up on the complimentary drinks on the terrace which just opened that night. The bar staff was great and the terrace itself is worth a visit. It was views of St Paul street and the river. We also loved the breakfast which is served in the bar room which is really nice room. We asked the front desk for a dinner place and they reserved us a table in Verses which was perfect for us, it's good French cuisine a short walk away. Also loved the valet parking service even though it's a bit pricey. The valet/porter Mathieu was really cool and always helpful. The only gripes we had were spotty wifi and a random freight train that rolled through at 3:09am and it felt like it never ended and reminded us of the scene from My Cousin Vinny as we had the windows open and it sounded like it was going straight through the room. Otherwise, this is our hotel next time we stay in Montreal.

Room Tip: Room #401 has great river views
3 Thank Gimper90
Pilar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

We spent a couple of nights at l'auberge, the excellent location, the attentive personnel and the cozy and spacious room made it a very pleasurable stay. Would recommend heartily if your choice is vieux montreal which i would definitely choose for tourism.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gabeto
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

My business attended a trade show in Montreal and several of my team stayed at this wonderful hotel. From check in to check out everything was fantastic - service, restaurant, bar, room service, concierge, valet. Nothing was too much trouble, the restaurant serves great food and the cocktails are divine. Overall a wonderful visit to Montreal made all the better by this hotel and their team. Definitely our hotel of choice for any business trip to Montreal now.

Room Tip: The port facing rooms have the better views.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Floyd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

From the minute we stepped foot inside this lovely building, we were overwhelmed by everything about it. I did tons of research prior to going to Canada and was looking forward to this location. It did not disappoint in any way. The staff was superb -- especially German who was kind enough to take us up to the not-yet-opened terrace and take a picture of us. Our room was lovely -- a combination of modern with a rain shower, high tech lamps and an old brick wall. We had a window to the harbor that we could throw open and watch the world go by. The bar was great fun and quite lively both nights we were there. I simply cannot say enough good things about this hotel. If you ever find yourself in Montreal, do yourself a favor and book a room here. You definitely will not regret it!

Room Tip: We had a king river view and it was gorgeous. There was loads of space, comfortable seating, the be...
1 Thank Cathryne W