“The staff really tries to accomodate you”

Auberge du Vieux-Port
Ranked #9 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I stay in Montreal from time to time and there are a lot of good hotels in Old Montreal. In my opinion what set this property apart was the staff. I really do not get into a lot of special requests. However I found the staff very responsive to my needs and expectations, without being overbearing or making things uncomfortable. I had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Doc D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,774)

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed here for a second time following a cruise from Boston. The staff was wonderful and our room very spacious and very quiet given the hardwood floors! The bathroom was huge.
This is the only place we have stayed in Montreal and would do it again when we are next there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dodaBoulder
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel in August. Let me just say that the staff was amazing. We reached there the night before our reservation but they were booked. Oliver at the front desk tried helping us get a room at another hotel for the night - this is called great customer service! Hotel is located in a very nice part of Montreal not too far from the downtown area. Great restaurants around the hotel. Room reservation included breakfast. Choclate croissants and made to order breakfast from the menu was icing on the cake. We had a great stay there. Rene and Veronica at the front desk were very helpful with city tour recommendations. Giving it a 4 star because of a small glitch while we stayed there - our room was decent (not great) and the jacuzzi tub did not work. They have a roof top deck restaurant which looked nice.

Room Tip: Get a room with the waterfront view and away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ACTraveler A
Reviewed 8 November 2013

From the moment we checked in, we were treated like old friends returning. Max the bellman greeted us with a big smile. Sylvia and her partner (sorry didn't write her name down) were wonderful in giving suggestions, maps, and assisting in a dinner reservation for that evening. Our room #201 was gorgeous and the bed is to die for, big beautiful windows that opened to the view and street below, spotless! We headed down for cocktails at Gaspar ( the restaurant that is adjacent) before our trip to see the light show at Notre Dame Basiica. As a side note, don't miss this show, I thought it might be kooky, but it was fantastic, covering the history of Montreal and how the Basilica came to be. In hindsight, we should have just had dinner at Gaspar. Daniel hooked us up with oysters he was shucking and freshly made mingnet (?)sauce, great cheese board and cocktails. Slept like babies in the comfortable bed. The breakfast included the next
morning was a wonderful selection and for a small upgrade to specialty dishes. We stopped by the concierge desk and spoke with Michael, who helped us with suggestions for our day. The housekeeping staff was patient as we took the late check-out offered. All of staff - were great. I would travel back to Montreal just to stay here again and enjoy the city. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you might want to be away from the elevator, not an issue for us though.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robin J
Michael C, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Guest,
It was a great pleasure reading your message.
We are thankful that you took the time to share your experience and thoughts about your stay in Montreal and at the Auberge du Vieux Port.
We try our best to make you feel welcomed and we’re glad to hear that you felt like an old friend.
We look forward to welcome you back for more good times with your Montreal firends.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel in July. It's November and I can still remember the name of the hotel staff. How often do you get to know a hotel staff's name because they provided you a good time? Breakfast was wonderful. Chocolate croissants! Need I say more? We had a waterfront view that was spectacular even on one rainy evening we we're there. It's close to everything you want to see. It's not too far to the Metro which takes you all over. The horse and carriages are 2 blocks north. The hotel was a bit over priced, but so is everything in Canada to a US citizen. Grin and pay it. Lovely building and history.

Room Tip: I don't know if all the rooms are waterfront but if not, get one. Not only does it overlook the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RonneySue
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I like to travel and stay at Inns and boutique hotels. We have always chosen carefully where to stay and have enjoyed the places we selected to stay even if everything wasn't perfect. This time unfortunately we were unpleasantly surprised. This hotel has two things going for it. The view of the river and some interesting architectural details. After that it's all downhill. First of all the lobby area and it's furnishings and draperies (hung in odd places) are tired and dirty. The inside of the front door is long past in need of a paint job and half the light fixture shades are hanging crooked.

In the room there is a great looking stone wall, but that does not make up for a complete lack of functionality. There is not one place in the room you can sit and relax after a day of sightseeing. The two chairs are like dining room chairs, wood, straight back with a thin layer of upholstery. You can't sit on the bed because the headboard is iron slats. Not one "comfy, cozy" seat. The coffee pot sits on a tiny table all to itself and has to be moved to another spot to use because there is no electrical outlet. I have never had an in room coffee pot that didn't include the prepackaged coffee packets with the filter. This room had a small stack of 12 cup coffee filters to use in a four cup machine and the coffee was in a bag that I realized, after using it I'm afraid, was also pre-measured for a 12 cup pot.

The desk in the room was missing a large piece if laminate or wood and should have been replaced. The lighting in the room was completely lacking. If you need to retrieve something from your suitcase or purse at night you will need to provide your own flashlight and you will be on your knees to do it as there are no luggage racks provided. The only place you could possibly read at night is in the closet. That was the only space in the room or bathroom with adequate lighting. Go figure.

The shower stall was attractive but tiny and had no shelving for toiletries, at all. For my second shower I literally had to pry the leftover soap from my first shower off of the shower floor. Also the water pressure in the shower was extremely low and dwindled to a drop so I had to get out of the shower to call the front desk to be told they had a plumbing emergency and the water would be off for at least another 30 minutes. The bath had adequate shelving but the finish was worn off over much of the shelf and was in need of attention or replacing altogether. Again, lighting was inadequate.

I enjoy getting up early and going for a morning run when I travel especially when in a new, scenic area, like along the San Francisco Bay, Central Park in New York or along the St. Lawrence in Quebec City. Unfortunately I had such a sleepless night on an uncomfortable mattress and woke up with a back ache so a morning run was not going to be on the agenda. The bed seemed to swoop down in the middle and had no back support whatsoever.

The good part about breakfast was they had more cooked options than most all the other places we have stayed. Fresh sliced fruit which has always been available where ever else we have stayed was not available here.

I do understand that not all the rooms at the hotel are the same, but, for any room you reserve there should be a minimal standard and this room didn't come close to meeting what should have been the minimal standard. This room had the potential to be a great room with some updating of the furniture and more attention to the details. Instead, I find that even with the view of the river and the "architectural detail" of the stone wall this was not a room that enticed me to want to spend any time in it all all. It was neither comfortable nor interesting.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Karen C
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Went to this hotel for our 21st wedding anniversary...
I will start with the positive
1) Beautiful clean room
2) Beautiful spot overlooking St Paul street
3) Nice jacuzzi and gorgeous shower

Heres the not so great

1) If they offer you the inn room massage online when you are booking you are better to communicate directly with the spa 5 blocks down...my in room massage became a we can't do that because your room is too small and no we don't offer transportation because its 5 blocks away....sure every one wants to walk after a massage...not...
2) In reference to number one...I speak french Canadian...these front desk people speak french parisian and in saying that offer their help without actually helping (i.e. Walking 5 blocks after a massage)
3. I highly suggest getting your breakfast elsewhere...they add 3 dollars to certain plates on the menu and don't bothee putting toast on it...and ask for a gratuity on the bill...you have to sit on the tiny uncomfortable wooden chairs instead of the cushy ones on the other side because of some rule that is non existant...
3) They control the heating and the windows become sealed shut...(for the winter) would not matter because its lose sleep because of the heat or lose sleep because of the noise on St Paul....

The sights around the hotel are beautiful..but many places are overpriced and not worth the money....as werw most of the restaurants we went to....

If you do have a chance to go to Gibby's restaurant it was expensive but fabulous....worth every bite...without pretention...

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane L
AubergeDuVieuxPort, General Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment and taking the time to share your experiences at l’Auberge du Vieux Port with us.

Firstly, I’d like to say that we’re happy you loved the room and location.

Concerning your issue with the massage, I am very surprised to hear that you couldn’t receive this service in your room, especially considering you had one of the biggest rooms in the hotel. To my knowledge, we’ve never experienced this issue before. I will certainly look into the details.

Regarding your concerns with the reception team, I’ll direct you to the many comments about our hotel that praise our staff as friendly and passionate about their work. Also, we’re very proud to have two charming ladies from France on our team, which probably explains why you heard the front desk service speaking with a Parisian accent. I too am a French-speaking Quebecois and understand these two employees perfectly in both English and my native tongue. In fact, I find their accents quite pleasant.

As per breakfast: yes, some dishes have additional fees (the eggs Benedict being an example) and yes, said dishes are not listed as being included with toast, bagels, fruit, yogurt, croissants, etc.. But this is only because these listed items are available, free of charge, at the self-service counter; they’re included with all hotel breakfasts.

Know that we take all comments seriously and appreciate your feedback.

We hope in the future you’ll give us another chance. We’ll certainly do our very best to improve your experience on your next visit.
________________________________________