“Prefect stay!”

Ranked #8 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
New York City, New York
“Prefect stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We went to Montreal for the Thanksgiving long weekend, and we were so happy about our choice of this hotel. All the pictures post on internet was true and correct. What you see is what you get. This hotel located on the historical St.Paul Street which there are plenty of restaurants, gift shops and Bars; all the buildings are brick buildings with brick walls, and the street is made of rocks. If you like the unique historical Hotel instead of big-chain / big -brand Hotel , this is the choice to stay. We stayed in 5th Floor Premier King Room with Fireplace & Jacuzzi bathtub, it was a very nice room. We always have trouble with the hotels heat where-ever we stay, but this room is always warm (all day long) with nice temperature; it is very cozy and feel great to come back to a warm room as Montreal is very cold during the winter. The Hotel buffet breakfast is decent as they have the main menu that you can order with one choice between: bacon, sausage or ham with any choice of eggs associated with breakfast fries / omelettes / egg egg benedict ), all drinks as milk, tea coffee is on the buffet with all you can eat: yogurt, fruits, cereals, toasts, bagels and croissants. This is a perfect historical unique Hotel to stay in Montreal. We love it! Oh, I forgot to mention the bed: their bed is very very comfortable as me and my husband are very critical about the bed quality, but the bed in Hotel room is very very comfortable as not too firm and not too soft (too firm is hard to sleep, too soft doesn't support your back bone). The Hotel bed is very comfortable, we feel asleep right away every night we stayed there!

Room Tip: Hotel rooms has two sides, one side is facing Museum of Science (river side) and the other side is...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sheepbaby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I was looking for a romantic hotel to stay a couple of nights. What a beautiful place! I'm so pleased I picked this one. From the moment we stepped in it was a wonderful experience, with great staff to greet us and always ready to make recommendations when we asked. The room, a Queen overlooking the river, was gorgeous and clean. While the view wasn't quite as nice as I was hoping (having never been to this part of Montreal, I was hoping for something a little more aesthetically pleasing when I read "river view"), I still appreciated being able to open the old windows and look out. I will say that when we lay on the bed we noticed that the room was a bit lopsided -- but that's an old building for you!

I also loved the amenities, and the shower was great!

We had breakfast, included with the room, in the restaurant both mornings. I was really surprised at how good it was given that it was included--often an included breakfast leaves you wanting more, but we were allowed to pick from a small menu, and there was an additional "buffet" of items such as breads and the like.

Old Montreal was perfect. I had been to Montreal only once before and hadn't been a big fan of it--I'm not particularly comfortable in large cities. But in Old Montreal I felt like I was away from all of that. It was wonderful and romantic, and we really did feel like we were strolling through a quiet European street away from the hustle and bustle.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

This hotel compliments the character of "old montreal" perfectly. Situated along the river and only a few steps from the "main drag" of the historic Vieux Port, the hotel is located in an authentic historic building. Original interior stone walls create a warm and charming atmosphere -setting the tone for a cozy and relaxing get-away.

It was about a five minute walk to the subway station and, after touring Montreal for a couple of days, I would not be able to suggest a better location as a base for exploring this city.

The room was spacious and clean and well appointed. There were exposed beams and brick which gave the room an historic feel that was in keeping with the rest of the building. Some of the furnishings were not quite at the five star level but the overall quality of the decor was excellent. I had a huge king bed with one of the most comfortable mattresses I have slept on. The bathroom was very well appointed and was finished with natural stone and marble features.

The size of the hotel was perfect-small enough to capture the essence of my idea of "boutique" yet large enough to support sufficient staffing and amenities. The restaurant and gastropub which is separated but accessible through the lobby served excellent food and was a wonderful social gathering place.

The best part of the stay was the staff. All were warm and welcoming. The check in was efficient and the entire crew was friendly and enthusiastic. The outstanding concierge skills of the front desk helped me to make the most of my short stay. All the staff was kind enough to encourage and help me with my attempts to speak French, although they were of course perfectly fluent in both languages!

I will definitely stay at this hotel the next time I visit Montreal. I especially recommend it to those who seek to get in touch with the local history and culture.

Room Tip: I believe I had one of the larger King suites. It measured almost 500 square feet and was well worth...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank thomas b
Michael C, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
"Cher" Guest 
We thank you for taking the time to share your experience you had at the Auberge du Vieux Port.
It was our pleasure to speak to you in French and to make you feel comfortable enough to come see us for anything you needed during your stay.
We’re also glad to hear that you like the establishment and city.
We look forward to welcome you back very soon in French :)
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful four-night stay at the Auberge du Vieux-Port. We opted for a Superior King facing the street, and were very pleased with the choice. The room decor was cozy yet chic, and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The staff was helpful and friendly, without being overbearing. And the breakfast in the pub each morning was great. My only complaint was about the noise outside the window. Not terrible, but distracting enough to keep me up a bit on weekend evenings. Otherwise, this was a superlative experience.

Room Tip: It's worth spending extra to reserve a river-facing room. The street-facing rooms come with some...
2 Thank jetgirl1515
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

We were truly impressed with all of the Staff here at the Auberge de Vieux-Port. We were greeted by Matthew, who was so kind and friendly. He made our arrival memorable. Sylvia, Laurie & Veronica were the most informative and enthusiastic front desk associates I have ever dealt with. They were able to answer every question of ours. The "River-view" room was definitely comfortable and well kept. The only downside was that it was a bit small (smaller then the photos displayed on their website). If you are looking for a comfortable stay in old Montreal, this is the place to stay. We would also like to thank all of the staff who made our stay so pleasant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matt802
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

I stay in Montreal from time to time and there are a lot of good hotels in Old Montreal. In my opinion what set this property apart was the staff. I really do not get into a lot of special requests. However I found the staff very responsive to my needs and expectations, without being overbearing or making things uncomfortable. I had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Doc D
boulder, colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed here for a second time following a cruise from Boston. The staff was wonderful and our room very spacious and very quiet given the hardwood floors! The bathroom was huge.
This is the only place we have stayed in Montreal and would do it again when we are next there.

1 Thank dodaBoulder