“Always our favourite place to stay in Old Montreal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auberge du Vieux-Port

Auberge du Vieux-Port
Ranked #9 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Ottawa, Ontario
“Always our favourite place to stay in Old Montreal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We have stayed at Auberge du Vieux Port three times in the last five times and find it a perfect spot to stay. The King River facing rooms are spacious and charming with exposed brick walls, beautifully appointed bathroom and fireplace; I LOVE to sit in the open window to watch the traffic and people walking by below. There are plenty of restaurants in the area or you can eat in the hotel itself, either on the roof top balcony or ground level. Food was very good. The staff is very helpful and personable and I recommend this place to everyone I know. The only drawback is the price, which is a little high, but it is a great place to stay if you want to splurge.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael C, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest,
We sincerely thank you for being a loyal Guest at the Auberge du Vieux Port.
Always keep in mind that our rates are based on occupancy and changes from day to day and from season to season.
We hope that you will come back soon to enjoy more moments in front of the opened window of your room.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Estero, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

What a nice hotel and primo location. We walked from the cruise ship to the hotel, although we were apprehensive at first. Along the ship's long dock to the street,,, Along the street on the side walk,,, Not more than 15 to 20 minutes total. Yes our suitcases were on rollers. Yes we could have taken a taxi (but the taxi line was culturally typical, one taxi at a time only allowed to enter the area and pick up disembarking passengers) and we became impatient. And we aren't that young.
In any event, all the other reviews as to the high quality of the hotel are correct. It is an elegant inn and the panoramic views from a lot of the rooms are terrific. We enjoyed walking the street to the back of the hotel, Rue St Paul, which we could access through a back hotel entrance.
Lots of little restaurants, including a deli, Marche de la Villette at 324 Rue St Paul Ouest, a find. Far out glass frames at Bar a lunettes on 401McGill, found a frame for my wife.
We highly recommend this hotel and this area.

Room Tip: Ask for a good room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank happyherbie
Michael C, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Cruisers,
The Auberge du Vieux Port is absolutely walking distance from where cruise ships dock in Montreal, that all depends how many luggage you have. You can even see the ships from the rooftop terrace, which has a direct view to the harbor.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and the places you enjoyed in the Old Montreal. We do hope to welcome you back very soon.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I travel to Montreal every two weeks for business and only stay at this wonderful boutique hotel. The staff are outstanding...they know me well and ensure I feel like the Auberge is my home away from home. I look forward to the great service of Michael and Matthew! Always professional, respectful yet fun.

I also recently spent the weekend in Montreal with my partner. He also appreciated the attentive service and finely appointed rooms.
Make sure you spend time at the Gaspar - delicious breakfast and excellent evening fare!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Michael C, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Bonjour Madame :)

It’s a pleasure for the entire team to make you feel like you are home away from home every time you come to stay with us.
On behalf of Mathew and I, thank you for mentioning us, we greatly appreciate it.
We will see you in two weeks.
Kalapana, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a very classy older hotel with interior brick walls. The service was quite attentive and the single elevator extremely slow. Our room was very comfortable. Valet parking included but their lot seemed to be several blocks away. The included breakfast was a typical american (huh?) except for Montreal bagels. I would have given it five stars if there was a bath tub......

Room Tip: Ask for a square shaped room, not like a railroad car.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bonjour Lors D,
Oldie and Goodie is shortest yet most perfect description on what the Auberge Du Vieux port is.
Just so there’s no misunderstanding by other readers, Valet parking is provided at the Auberge with in and out privileges at an extra fee and as for the bath tub, we do have different categories that do have the bathtub as an amenity.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcome you back.
upstate NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Four of us stayed at the Auberge last weekend for 4 days and we all agreed that it was the best stay in Montreal ever. The service is exceptional, the rooms superb (especially in the "older" section), the patio on the top floor overlooking the river is great. Centrally located in the old city but very close to the metro and very close to the active square in the old port.

Room Tip: higher floors in the old section
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank fire20
Dear Guest,
We thank you for sharing your comment and thank you for your 5 star rating.
We look forward to welcome back all four of you.
Harvard, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I imagine at some point, if I keep going back to the Auberge, I will have to curtail my reviews, as they are all going to be the same. This is a FANTASTIC place to call "home" when staying in the Old Port of Montreal. Everything, and everybody is the epitome of a 5 Star Hotel.

The staff is so friendly and so helpful with whatever you ask of them no matter how many times you require their assistance. I know this from first hand experience, and I know it from the amount of time I spend near the front desk observing. There are several on the staff that I now consider my friends and whenever they have free time, we visit and have many laughs together.

The hotel is the ONLY one located along the beautiful St. Lawrence River over looking Jacques Cartier Quay. The location is close to many attractions - there is always something going on across the street from the hotel along the Promenade de View Port. Place Jacques-Cartier right around the corner is always festive with many great restaurants. Old Montreal is small so you can walk anywhere you want to go to explore this wonderful city.

The River View Rooms, especially on the higher floors, have wonderful views. The rooms are beautiful with exposed brick walls, lovely hardwood floors, exposed wooden beams and old wooden bay windows that open. Sometimes just sitting there, in the window, looking out over the Promenade, can be memorizing. (see photos). The sounds of the horse drawn carriages clopping along the cobblestones is something I find quite soothing and simply adds to the charm.

The bathroom is large and the shower, well, is to die for. (see photos) The King beds are soft and inviting, perhaps too inviting, they welcome you to stay in bed ha ha. There is a nice armoire that houses the TV, small fridge, and dresser drawers. A good size desk is in the room as are 2 night stands. In my 3 stays, I have never noticed noise from other rooms.

There is a rooftop Terrasse' that offers stunning views, cocktails and food. The Taverne Gaspar Restaurant has great food. The free breakfast is offered in the restaurant and we're talking actual, full breakfast here. Not a Continental breakfast. There is complimentary WiFi - a huge plus for those of us travelling from outside Canada not wanting to rack up huge data bills on our cell phones. The elevator is quite slow - this is an old building folks. You're on vacation, take a moment to ponder and reflect while you wait. Or if you can't wait, take the stairs. For $40.00 a taxi will take you from or to the airport. It is a 20 minute trip, give or take time of day and traffic. The hotel can arrange for a pick up on your return to the airport with a reliable company that will be waiting for you when you check out.

The staff, as I have mentioned goes above an beyond every day, all day. They are quite knowledgeable on the area and greet you with a smile and kind word no matter how many times you see them throughout the day. They can give you some great suggestions on area restaurants, and so far, they have lead me to delicious meals every time.

If you're going to Old Montreal, I'd say, don't even consider staying elsewhere. You'll find everything you need right here.

I have to give a huge shout out to my friends for making my stay once again, magical, inviting, wonderful and so enjoyable. Fred, Fred, Michael and Veronique', you guys ROCK!!!! and always make me feel so welcome - thanks!! Stephen, Patrick, Dan and Lara I'm sure we'll get to know one another better and I do hope to see more of Matthew on my next trip since this time I only saw you on the first day, darn.

Room Tip: River View Room on the 5th Floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael C, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Boston Rae,
On behalf of the entire family at the Auberge du Vieux Port, we would like you to know that it’s a great pleasure to have you come every year and stay with us.
We thank you for sharing your experience and we thank you for being generous with your comments.
We know that we will see you again very soon.
We look forward to have some more memorable conversations and take pictures with you, which by the way everyone is waiting to see.
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We arrived at Auberge on May 14, 2014 late afternoon. The cab ride from the airport was $40 Canadian. Our room, 204, has a view of a side street. It is pretty quiet, even during business hours. The bed, a Beautyrest, is very comfortable. The room has a high ceiling and a brick wall behind the bed. There is free wifi for guests. Are drinks downstairs in Gaspar pricey? You decide. Jack and Coke: $9. Gin and tonic: $10. I highly recommend Auberge du Vieux Port.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DianeTucson
Michael C, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Bonjour,
We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience you had with us.
We’re thankful for that and look forward to welcome you back.