“Great hotel in Old Montreal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auberge du Vieux-Port

Auberge du Vieux-Port
Ranked #9 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
North Canton, Ohio
“Great hotel in Old Montreal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

This hotel was wonderful for our one night visit. Very polite and helpful staff along with a beautiful room. We faced into old Montreal and the windows opened in a way where we could take pictures up and down the block. The terrace up top was great for dinner apps and pictures. We also enjoyed our free breakfast the morning we left. The location in Old Montreal also boosts it on the romantic side.

1 Thank themanofec

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Cobourg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

From the moment we drove up to the Auberge we were treated like VIPs. I stand corrected..from the moment we booked our room..Marie from guest services ensured our every inquiry and request was accommodated efficiently and promptly.

From their valet parking to the incredibly bilingual front desk staff...this hotel knows how to welcome guests!!

Our room was on the top floor...overlooking the Port and the St. Lawrence. With the unique grids on the windows we felt as if in the French Quarter in New Orleans or Paris's inner city. We fell asleep to the clip/clop of the caliche (horse drawn buggy) and sounds of the city. Marvelous!

If you wish to experience one of the most unique hotel experiences in Montreal stay at The Auberge du vieux port. A slice of real Montreal hospitality!!

peru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed for a couple of at the Auberge on July this year and it was wonderful!!!
the staff was so helpful!!! thanks michel for your help and advise on how and where to go!
the Auberge is in a great location, walking distance to the old port and all the attractions in and close to the old city...
Thanks Auberge du Vieux Port for making my stay in Montreal unforgettable and amazing!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael C, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Bonjour Dear Guest,
We sincerely thank you for sharing your experience you had with us.
It was my pleasure to share my “musts” of the city and it would be our great pleasure to welcome you back very soon at the Auberge du Vieux Port.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Located in the "Vieux-Port" area of Montreal, L'Auberge is a great central location to get to know historic Montreal. It's adjacent to Rue Jacque Cartier and Rue John Paul II. The hotel is built out if one of the old port buildings that dates back to the 19th Century. The hotel lobby and rooms have lots of personality and charm that you cannot find in other "cookie cutter" properties. The staff are very friendly, speaking both French and English.
My experience began when we pulled up front. The valet was friendly and helpful with both our bags and parking of our car. Check-in was easy and our room had a very romantic charm that reminded you if being in France. The windows of our room overlooked Rue John Paul II. The windows opened for the guest time feel the energy of the restaurant below, Papillion (see review), and to potentially get a fresh breeze (however, on this stay,it was rather humid in Montreal).
Breakfast is included with your stay. Guests go to the reastaurant/bar, "Gaspar", for breakfast. The service is good and the food excellent (see review).

The location will allow you to shop, eat and be entertained within a comfortable walk of the hotel. There are also lots of museums and historic trails that will keep you busy for days

In the evenings, for a romantic drink or snack, go to the roof top bar of Auberge for a beautiful view of historic Montreal and evening on the port of the St Lawrence River.

I would like to say that the stay was perfect, BUT my wife and I struggled with the temperature level of the room for much of the trip. Unfortunately, the hotel has a "central" air conditioning system, versus a "local" control in the room. By definition, in a built out hotel from a 19th century building, certain area's will be warm, while others will be cold. The front desk claimed to make an adjustment on a central level, but it had little impact on my room. Finally, I suggested a fan to circulate the air better and reduce the humidity.

I agonized over my hotel rating of L'Auberge, which is unusual for my Trip Advisor ratings. After hundreds of reviews the situation is what it is typically, and I'm convinced if I had stayed in another room, a 5 star rating would have been no problem, but on this occasion, in this room, it's a 4.

Not withstanding the lower rating, L'Auberge is a place I would stay again because of it's location, staff and ambiancd, just be careful of your room selection.

Room Tip: As the review indicates, be prepared for a warm or cold room. The rooms situated along Rue John Paul...
      Cleanliness
Philly Suburbs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Central to everything the Old City has to offer, with attentive staff, luxurious accommodations, a bathroom to die for and complimentary hot, cooked to order breakfast, the Auberge du Vieux Port is our first choice when we head back to Montreal for the next milestone anniversary. Ditto everything said by other travelers, minus the trouble with Wi-Fi and restaurant noise. We enjoyed a pleasant two-night mid-week stay in a water-facing King on the second floor. We were treated to the click-clack of a slow-moving freight train at around 5:30 am each morning, but no horn or whistle, so we'd say it was the least-intrusive train noise ever.

Nuneaton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel twice in two weeks in Canada and were impressed with the consistent level of service particularly at reception.Nothing was too much trouble, and this is an ideal location to see Montreal.The hotel is clean with large well serviced bedrooms,there are many great restaurants in the area.We would go back.

A&B

Room Tip: Level 5 is good
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael C, Guest Relations Manager at Auberge du Vieux-Port, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Guest
Oh the weather!
Don’t we all love how unpredictable it is?
I’m glad to hear that you had an excellent time and that you appreciated everyone’s service.
On behalf of the entire family at the Auberge du Vieux Port, we look forward to welcome you back.
Corydon, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a lovely spot in Old Montreal at the port. It is an older hotel - with exposed brick walls and wooden floors, however the rooms have comfortable beds and a great bathroom. We had a room that overlooked the street and port - the windows are shuttered without screens and were very nice to open up for fresh air.

We took a taxi from the airport - it was $40 (Canadian) - and we were quite surprised at how crowded the streets were on a Tuesday afternoon when coming into the old port area. The Auberge is close to a boulevard with a large square that has numerous cafes and there are booths selling their wares as well as street performers.

Check in with Kathy and Patrick was very smooth. The only hiccup was that a prepaid fruit and cheese tray did not show up on our reservation and therefore was not ready upon our arrival. We simply moved the tray to the next day. They will leave a coffee pot in your room at no additional charge if you request it - which was a nice touch.

Please note that although there is an elevator in the facility - this is a very old building - so the hallways and room locations are a bit of a labyrinth - around many corners and down three additional steps. The valet was there to help with all of our luggage. Our room was next to a stairwell that went to an alternate entrance - so we did notice people coming and going. The first evening, some adults decided to hide and scare someone else in their party - which resulted in a bloodcurtling scream around 11:45pm - a little unsettling. Dear husband, opened the door and politely but firmly asked them to be quiet, which they complied. Otherwise - our room was nice and quiet.

The bed was comfortable, and they left extra pillows at our request. The air conditioning unit is above the closet, and blows down directly on the bed. It was a bit difficult to get the temperature comfortable. We would set the thermostat at 76 usually at night - I would get warm, but since the unit would blow directly on my husband, he would get cold. I brought a small table top fan with me - which I directed towards me.

I made a pot of coffee when we woke up. I was surprised to see an actual 4 cup coffee pot, filters and a bag of coffee - as we never see those anymore in the states. But we were left one bag of regular coffee, and I don't believe that the bag was the appropriate amount for a 4 cup pot. The coffee came out waaaay too strong. Will actually use a spoon and measure out the coffee tomorrow. A continental breakfast was included - which was set up on the bar in Gaspar restaurant next door. Do not expect the typical scrambled eggs,etc that you see at the included breakfast hotels here in the states. The Gaspar had two cereals ( corn flakes and muesli), white or wheat bread with a toaster set up, a bowl of yogurt and a bowl of fruit topping, peanut butter/nutella, jelly, cream cheese, fresh orange or grapefruit juice, coffee and water. They did have a nice menu with eggs, meats and eggs benedict, etc that you could order from for extra. We did not eat off the menu at the restaurant.

Michael did a phenomenal job of printing off a walking tour for us as well as making a river/dinner cruise reservation. We enjoyed the day going around the Old Montreal area and seeing the sights. We had left shortly after breakfast and returned around 4:00 pm. Michael had given me instructions to let him know when we were back and he would send up the aforementioned fruit tray. When we got up to our room - I was a bit dismayed to see that it still had not been cleaned. (the housekeeper said that we were next.....) I went back down to the lobby, let Michael know, and we had our fruit in the lobby area - which was fine.

Went back up to the room, looking forward to a nap before our dinner cruise. The room had been nicely cleaned, and the housekeeper left me extra towels. She did switch out the coffee cups, but the coffee pot had not been emptied or cleaned - so did wash that out.

Based on other reviews, we were looking forward to watching the fireworks from the roof top terrace. It appeared that the fireworks were on Wednesdays and Saturdays, but upon arrival we found out that they were on Monday and Friday that week - so we missed them. We did go up to the rooftop on our last evening around 8:00 for late night drink, only to find that the terrace was closed (a beautiful evening - weather-wise). Sadly, we did not get to experience the terrace.

The only main complaint that I would have with the hotel is the wifi system. It is free and a password is provided. But the coverage was sketchy at best. I couldn't receive anything on my phone, and my husband was continuously bumped off. We did our best to "unplug" from our phones, etc - so I guess this helped. But when you are wanting to check with family at home - it made things difficult. In reading other reviews - I see where this is pretty much hotel-wide.

The front desk staff and valets were some of the best we have experienced. Michael, Kathy, Patrick and Daniel were all outstanding in meeting any of our requests. Check out was smooth and they had arranged for a taxi to pick us up to take to the airport. All in all, the hotel was very accommodating, quiet, with modern facilities. It was a great boutique hotel in a historic part of the city. We enjoyed ourselves immensely and would not hesitate to come back.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor. One elevator, but you will need to negotiate narrow hallways and steps...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple