“Lovely hotel - amazing breakfasts!”

Auberge du Vieux-Port
Ranked #8 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel - amazing breakfasts!”
Reviewed 28 January 2011

We stayed here for the first part of our honeymoon in December - room was great - huge size, and fantastic view over the port. Despite the freezing temperatures of Montreal winter, it was always warm inside the room. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the breakfasts included in the room price were just amazing. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant at night, but the breakfast waiting staff gave fantastic service, we were very impressed. The hotel is about 10 minutes walk from a metro stop, but it was part of the attraction of the place to be in the old town and not right in the bustle of the city. Decor was slightly rustic but still pretty smart - felt a lot more comfortable than in one of the ultrachic boutique hotels that are very close by. Expect that it is very different in summer - being in winter meant it was pretty quiet, and no problem getting a table in restaurants/looking around the tourist areas. Loads of places to eat within a few minutes walk - Les 3 Brasseurs particularly good pub and the SteakHouse Vieux Port was also good. Great start to our honeymoon!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 December 2010

This was my first trip to Montreal and from the moment I walked in, Julia at the front desk made me feel like I was a guest in her home.

Julia oriented me to the subway (which is excellent -- ala Paris) and directed me to the Rain Spa (Turkish steam bath and massage --I loved it so much I went back again the next night!)

My room had a great view and the breakfast (which is included) was very good.

I would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
chicago
Reviewed 28 November 2010

My aunt and I stayed here for 4 nights over Thanksgiving. We had the room overlooking the street with two very comfortable double beds. The only thing the room was missing was a fireplace. Breakfast was good, eggs/pastries or crepes. The crepes were dry and over cooked but the omelets were always perfect. We had our welcome drink after we checked in and stayed for dinner. Food was good.
We felt taken care of very well by the front desk and our room as well as the hotel was a breath of fresh air compared to the big chain hotels we could have stayed at.
This hotel has character ! Would come back for sure!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I booked through Hotel.ca, and after booking, I realized that my room was 500 meters from the hotel????????????
I was concerned but I had an open mind.
I checked in, and the folks at the reception were very nice and pleasant. A young man guided me to my room and gave me a brief explanation of the area, restaurants, convenience stores near by, etc...
We climbed the infinite stairs that lead to the room, and when I opened the door I was impressed with the room. It was a studio apartment furnished with up to date furniture and decorated with exposed brick walls, and nice hardware.
The room was on the top of a restaurant (Modavie), and although they have small music bands downstairs, I did not hear a thing from them.
Unfortunately, I could not say the same about my room neighbors. I guess my bed and their bed was separated by a wall, and I as they decided to have sex for hours with small breaks until 1:00a.m., that was when I was able to sleep. I suffered with the couple for two nights.
I don't know how the rooms that are inside of the Auberge were (noise wise), but I would not come back. There was not house keeping in the room during my 3 night stay.

Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Miss_Silva
port elizabeth
Reviewed 14 November 2010

A charming, well run, good value for money hotel in an excellent location. The staff, without exception, were extremely helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble for them. We were upgraded to a King room overlooking the port, which was lovely; exposed stone walls and beautiful wooden floors. The only thing missing was a kettle and a tea tray - my only criticism. We would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Disembarked from cruise at Port Montreal and we walked from the ship to the hotel, the walk took about 20 minutes over flat terrain dragging our bags. We arrived around 8 AM to be greeted by the most personable porter you could hope for. He stopped us at the foot of say four stairs and he hauled our considerable luggage into the reception area, we offered to help, no, you have done enough. The receptionist was lovely, took our phone number and rang us when our room was ready. Our bags were waiting in our room for us, two flights of stairs up. The staff also collected our bags and took them to reception for a very early departure five days later. We stayed in a self contained loft a short distance from the main office, we wanted for nothing, the room was spotless, very large and we had 3 local friends visit us, they were very impressed. The location was literally in the heart of Old Montreal, a great spot, we walked everywhere, restaurants on our door step and a convenience store across the way. Helen Sydney Australia

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Best Hotel in Montreal, great staff, great room, best stay ever.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple