“4 Years to Perfection”

The Ritz-Carlton, Montreal
Ranked #1 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 27 September 2013

It might have taken 4 years to redo the Ritz in Montreal but they have achieved perfection. It's an elegant, romantic, beautiful old hotel with all the charm of a grand dame. The toilet has a heated seat and does everything for you, who could ask for more. The staff is attentive and helpful in a polished manor yet friendly. I love the electronically controlled lights and shades and all the touches and details that the Ritz pays attention to. One of my favorite touches is the safe in the drawer rather than in the back of a closet. A perfect weekend getaway.

Room Tip: A corner suite with a fireplace is perfection on the 9th floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank GinnyColtsNeck
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Montreal

Reviewed 27 September 2013

My husband and I decided to stay here for 2 nights as we drove back home from Quebec City for our 25th anniversary trip. It was our 25th, so we had to do it up nice, therefore we chose the Ritz. While there were a couple of hic-cups during our stay, the way the problems were handled speaks so much about the staff, that I had to give our stay 5 stars.

First, the hotel and room itself. Very, very nice. So much has been written about the bathrooms and electronic control of the room, so I won't say more than wow, welcome to the future of hotel stays! Though the rooms were completely updated, the interior halls still retained some of the feel that an older hotel offers, with the heavy woods and mail chutes, for example. The only less than wow factor was the view, but then this is a city, so a view of other buildings is to be expected, just make sure to keep those shades down at certain times!

The new pool was very nice, the water was a comfortable temperature and the towels were soft and luxurious. The attendant was also friendly and pleasant. A hot tub would have been nice, as the windows were open while we were there and it did get chilly in the pool area. A quick warm-up before heading back to the room would have been great, but the shower next to the pool was a nice hot substitute.

I had booked my husband and I with the Romance Package. I received a call before our arrival to set it up for the two nights we were there, and I was asked for my desired time of set-up and what we would like with the package. The person I spoke to on the phone was pleasant and helpful with suggestions. The romance package was not known to my husband, and I was looking forward to surprising him!

Our first night at the Ritz, the room was all set-up when we arrived back from wandering Montreal, and it was very pretty and romantic in feel. Perfect!

The second night, we seemed to have been forgotten. We returned to the hotel 1.5 hours after I expected set-up and nothing. I called down the front desk, and they were very apologetic and before long, people came to set-up the room. Unfortunately, it was late, things were not quite done as discussed on the phone, and the "romance" part of the package was gone due to us already being in the room and ready for bed at 10 at night, when it was finally taken care of. There was also a small issue of incorrect items from the room service breakfast part of the package that, while minor, was not indicitive of our first morning's breakfast with the package.

Now this would normally irritate me, because hey, you pay good money for this hotel, then add on a package to celebrate your 25th, and it doesn't go quite as expected. However, I am giving this hotel 5 stars because everyone was so apologetic and did everything to make up for the apparent mis-communication of our second night's stay.

When we checked out the next morning, we left feeling as if we were very valued guests, not just another nameless, faceless couple that spent a few nights at the hotel, never to be seen again. I wasn't even going to say anything to anyone about my disappointment over the 2nd night's lack of romance package, but I was asked about it at check-out, and so I did mention my disappointment. At that point, I had figured I would never stay there again if I ever found myself in Montreal.

The way the front desk responded, and management's follow-up afterwards, left my husband and I feeling, not disappointed and never wanting to come back, but instead valued as guests and hopeful for a return stay at some point. I expected nothing, after all we are just two of many people that come and go in any given day, but instead we felt as if the employees really did care what our opinion was of our stay, and wanted to make sure we knew that they cared.

Because of the wonderful staff at the Ritz in Montreal, I give this hotel 5 stars. Sure, there are many luxurious hotels to stay at in this world, but when I leave a hotel feeling like more than "just another guest", well that just makes my choice easier on where I am going to stay if I ever find myself in Montreal!

3  Thank sapphireChicago
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed here years ago and when we came back we were very happy with the room..
Spacious, beautiful remodeled room with a sitting area, desk, walk in closet and a great bathroom with a super toilet! The toilet opens its lid when you approach it, it can clean you, dry you and flushes automatically and closes the lid.. I love these toilets and this was certainly the best.
We had breakfast and dinner in Maison Boulud and it was great! Eggs benedict were delicious generous bread basket, pate, cheese etc. Dinner with a view on the garden with the duckies, food was very good and service excellent. Nice touch of the waiter to offer to pack the madeleines.
Having met Marco Torriani years ago in the Mandarin Oriental Geneva, I was happy to hear he now runs this wonderful hotel with his dad! Good luck with the family business..

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed at the hotel for three nights after arriving in Montreal after a cruise that started in Boston. This is an amazing property. I was told that the hotel re-opened about a year ago after a roughly four year massive remodel and update. To my eye, they preserved the beautiful old exterior (which I believe is quite old), as well as the older stylistic elements in the public rooms, which are quite nice. What they did not save, but completely blew out, were the rooms.

The new rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated, and outfitted with the most modern amenities. For example, there are no traditional light switches; rather, all of the lights are electronically controlled. To turn off the room lights, you simply touch an icon in the normal switch location, and an electronic dimmer automatically dims them until they are out. At night, if you get out of bed, a sensor detects that and automatically briefly switches on a night light and then turns it off after a few moments. The television is a huge new LG flat screen with the usual and extensive selection of entertainment. But one of the oddest things to "review" are the electronic toilets--Toto Neostats. When you enter the bathroom "water closet" the toilet senses your approach and opens the lid; when you depart, it senses that, flushes the toilet and closes the lid. On the wall is a very extensive electronic control that operates many other of the toilet's functions. It was weird at first, but you get used to it and its works quite well. The furniture and interior design is modern but not cold, and is quite comfortable.

The staff was friendly and the service was impeccable. An added bonus is that it has a great location. We loved staying here, and highly recommend it.

1  Thank Steve421
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We spent a"romantic"night given to us for my birthday.
What a phenomenal experience.
This is a special..we had a glass of Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries after checking as we were going to the musee de Beaux Arts....then we used the Magical toilet!
OMG what an experience!
As other reviewers have said can't believe I would love a toilet..you have to try it folks!
We had dinner at a wonderful Fr Restaurant..Chez La Mere Michel.
On return there was a chocolate mousse cake with a Happy Birthday in marzipan...
We were reading our newspapers in the am and included in our plan was breakfast...Wonderful..we ordered from the menu ..it was brought on a linen covered table with matching serviettes and it was divine.
Included was late checkout at 3 pm.
The staff...every one was incredibly polite,friendly and helpful.I can't remember names but Fanny at reception,Eric were two I do remember.
What a great birthday gift. Thanks to our daughter!

Room Tip: I am sure they are all great.we were in 418,
1  Thank RubyMontreal
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We loved this hotel. Service, rooms, location, food and TOILETS great! That toilet is fantastic. Didn't think I could be in love with a toilet, but I am. Anyway, the restaurant run by Daniel Boulard is also wonderful - and probably one of the best in town. We enjoyed eating around the beautiful bar. Everyone was so friendly. A big thumbs up for this hotel. Now management, don't go raising the rates on us...

Room Tip: I think they're all good
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lynn E
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The 200 million dollar renovation has definitely paid off. My husband and I travel extensively and this is by far the best room we've have in Canada. We stayed in room 916 and it was extremely quiet, we never heard anything from other rooms or outside. The bathroom was large and we loved the toilet, just like the ones at Aria in Las Vegas, nice to sit down on a warm seat and never having to touch the lid to lift it or touch a handle to flush is very sanitary. The soaker tub is extremely deep and the separate shower has room for two. The bed was super comfortable and my husband said that the pillows were the best of any hotel we have ever stayed at, and we stay at a lot of high end hotels. The closet was the size of most bathrooms and had more storage than anyone could ever need. We ate 3 times at the restaurant and enjoyed the service and meals. The chef definitely knows how to combine flavours in the dishes. My husband wants to plan his next visit already. Well done Ritz-Carlton Montreal.

3  Thank DebKel