“A Restored Classic in the Best location”

The Ritz-Carlton, Montreal
Ranked #1 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
NY, NY
“A Restored Classic in the Best location”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This past July i visited Montreal again. I was not leaning towards the Ritz Carlton, but a friend strongly suggested it given the recent total renovation. I can say that I was extremely please with my choice. the Hotel is awesome, no attention to detail was spared, it has old world charm and modern elegance and technology that fit my every need. I cannot say enough about the staff. Everyone was on their game, friendly and informative. The Concierge was one of the best I've ever encountered and within a few minutes of chatting had enough of an understanding of my interest that I was steered in the right direction the entire trip.

Room Tip: I don't think that there is a bad room in the mix. My windows overlooked the main avenue and I n...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stuart R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
United States
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

First time staying at a Ritz and used our points during the fall season in Montreal. The hotel is the first Ritz Hotel ever built and it's just been renovated and they didn't scrimp on anything. Valet was less than $40 and not included for using Marriott Rewards points. I expected the lobby to be majestic and grand like the lobbies in Las Vegas but it smaller but it was beautiful nonetheless. They offered us water bottles and hot towels as soon as we checked in. I can't remember the last time I was given a hot towel at check-in in North America but we would get it overseas. Check in was fast and we were escorted to the room and were showed all the amenities and features.

We were given a standard king room with gorgeous classic chic room and I could only imagine what the upgraded suite looked like, certainly nothing to complain with a standard room. I just love the decor. All the lights and both the sun shade and roller blinds were all automated in each side of the bed as well when you first walk in the room. The TV was huge and there was even a TV in the bathroom which I'm not sure sure why since our bathroom only had a stand up shower. I understand if there was a bath tub but couldn't understand having one for a stand up shower? Probably because of the bidet. Wished there are more hotels in North Americs that have bidets/washlets. We're a fan of them 'coz it's more hygienic and we've stayed in a few hotels in Asia that had it and liked it so much that we now have them at home, you should too :-).

The amenities in this room were overflowing everything were there even a room spray and a full size scrub. The shampoo and conditioner were larger size but the quality needs to be improved had better ones in motels. The towels were SUPER thick, even the bath mat was thick. The bed linens were thick and smooth and to be expected on a high end hotel and the duvet blanket was also thick and cozy and would definitely be needed during winter, the mattress was also good. And they had two bathrobes and two slippers! I'm always happy to see slippers in North American hotels. Also like the wrap around pillow case so the bare pillow is never exposed. They also offered turn down service, of course.

The FREE WIFI was strong but there were some moments when it was slow probably it was overloaded at times. The restaurant and garden was beautiful and the pool on the top floor was gorgeous. They also have residences on the pool floor, don't think they're occupied yet. If you get a chance, go for the High Tea, it was $32 without the champagne. The scones were the best scones I've ever had in my life and the jams were all good, I have to find a rose jam now, hope I'll have find and buy one that's equally as good. They had scones, assorted sandwiches and sweets and it was very filling. And the teas were amazing. It was definitely a treat, the only thing that I didn't like was the the oversized soft chairs and requested to move to a regular chair but probably just me.

This is definitely one of the nicest hotels we've stayed and would definitely go back even if we have to pay for it. So glad we were able to use Marriott Rewards points though. Can't wait to go back with great location, amenities and service.

If you like Korean food called Kantapia at 364 Sherbrooke W, about 5-10 minutes away by the Hilton Garden Inn. From the hotel entrance just turn right. Definitely won't break your budget and soooooo good. Can't wait to go back at this restaurant either!!

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Anoini2
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed at the Montreal Ritz Carlton in January 2014. We've been told that the hotel was closed for 4 years for a major renovation. I was positively surprised about this hotel. It ıs everything a Ritz Carlton should be. The service and staff are great. The interiors and rooms are very nice and tastefully decorated. The hotel restaurant ( Bouloud) is very good and worth a try. Overall we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sussex, England
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Excellent levels of service were evident immediately upon arrival. Very friendly welcome from the doorman and luggage whisked through to reception where we greeted by name (this continued for our whole stay). Check-in was very quick and efficient. I realised that I'd left a credit card on the plane, and the concierge got straight onto it and managed to have it located within an hour.

We stayed in a junior suite on a high floor. No views to speak of, but the outlook over the rear garden was pleasant enough.
The room itself was very large and comfortably furnished. Tastefully decorated with a very effective corner fireplace. The bathroom was typically luxurious with loads of marble. Asprey toiletries are a nice touch.
Housekeeping was punctual and thorough throughout our stay. Room service prompt and courteous.

We had breakfast in the conservatory section of the restaurant on two mornings, and the famous brunch in the ballroom on another. All were excellent.

We made use of the concierge services a number of times. Good way of getting into otherwise fully booked local restaurants.

We highly recommend this member of the Ritz Carlton group.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Larnaka City, Cyprus
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This was our best vacating week ever. This property is truly something special with great emphasis to detail and design in an excellent location. The staff are exceptional and we ended up become friends with most of them especially Irene the receptionist who’s suggestions were excellent and Andre the bellman who was extremely supportive. Many thanks for the presents guys all of which arrived in one piece. The hotel is a first class residential hotel and we were very upset to go. It was reopened in June 2012 after it was shut for four years for a renovation. Needless to say they did an exquisite job mixing Edwardian splendor and contemporary elegance. The rooms are all luxury condo-suites and there are also luxury condo-residences which are on the market. The suites are jaw dropping, souped up to high tech spec. $5000 Japanese toilet-bidet, huge bath and shower all covered in marble. The bed super comfortable the closet enormous and the lighting all controlled from touch screens from four different locations in the suite. The indoor pool on the terrace is very good and so is the gym. The lobby is quite small because two thirds of it is taken up by Tiffany and Maison Boulud so if you want a snack you’d have to go to the later which is not worth it or order room service. Coffee is free in your room from your nespresso machine. Afternoon tea is served in the small hotel lobby everyday. Overall very generous with proper Ritz hospitality.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Charalambosh
New York
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My family was visiting the Adirondack region of NY State and after seeing we were so close to Montreal called and booked a room for my family of four. Only after booking did I remember we were traveling with our two golden retrievers so I called back to inquire re dog policy. Very pleased to hear we were a go. On arrival at the this beautifully restored old world style hotel we were escorted to a large room with two beds. The hotel had set up two dog beds and bowls for the goldens as well. The hotel restaurant was Maison Boulud which was spectacular. We ate there one of the two evenings (wish I had gone both) and enjoyed spectacular breakfasts there as well. The location was excellent with easy walks to museums, galleries, prime shopping and a healthy stroll to the much more touristy old city. I can't imagine going back to Montreal without staying at the Ritz and dining at Maidon Boulud. Old world elegance and superb customer service all around.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I have been visiting my son frequently while he's attending McGill. Last stay was at the Sofitel before trying the Ritz-Carlton and found the newly renovated Ritz far superior. Loved the automatic toilets and well appointed shower. The pool area was lovely as was the business center. Very pleasant for reading. Had dinner at Maison Boulud which is incredibly expensive but delicious. Choose wisely from the menu. Dining out in Montreal is quite expensive at the better restaurants. Staff were pleasant and helpful in traversing the city.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo