“Special Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Mineola, NY
“Special Hotel”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is a VERY special hotel. From the minute you pull up until the minute you leave, you are treated like royalty. The rooms are brand new, and the service is second to none. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels, but I will not be able to stay anywhere else without comparing it to this one.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We just got home from a 5day/4night stay at the Ritz-Carlton Montreal. There were four of us and my room had gotten upgraded upon check-in with the Amex platinum program. The staff was able to give us adjoining rooms which were separated by a long closet and beautiful hardwood floors.

The bathroom is state of the art with heated floors, Neorest toilets, towel warmers, rain shower heads and deep soaking tubs. They even had a dental floss dispenser right in the mirror. The staff was amazing. Every night housekeeping would come by with a different amenity ranging from lavender hand balms to mint foot balms and bath salts. They even have a pillow menu!

On our first evening, I was surprised to be given a 'soap menu'. One of the staff brought by an entire tray of assorted bath soaps for us to choose from! Then they came back when they saw my daughter to give her a stuffed animal, slippers and smaller robe.

With the renovation, this Ritz-Carlton is state of the art. Everything is automated from the shades to your lights. There is even a motion detecting light in the bathroom for when you get up in the middle of the night that glows a deep red. It turns on when you get out of bed and shuts off once you get back in bed!

The restaurant is fantastic - not surprising since the chef has earned Michelin stars at his other restaurants. The staff are all friendly and helpful and I would definitely stay here again. It's nicely situated close to Rue St. Catherine for those who'd like to shop and in close proximity to the metro.

The views weren't much to talk about since all I could see were inside other buildings on the side we were on. But we were so busy all day and night, I'd mostly come back and shut the shades anyway.

You can see more pics and findings on Montreal on my blog: osterhuh.com

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank osterhuh
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Decor is great, service as well. Well located, in the nice section of downtown. Near museums, shopping and restaurants. Safe area. We loved it. We would go back. Ask for a backyard room. View is not nice ut it is quiet; you'll sleep like a baby.

Room Tip: Ask for a backyard room. View is not nice ut it is quiet; you'll sleep like a baby.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoxidouNoiro
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at the Ritz in Montreal and found the hotel to be extremely comfortable, luxurious, and managed by an excellent staff. We arrived a touch early and our room wasn't ready yet; their solution was to upgrade us so that we could get into our room almost immediately. Granted, it is low season and we were staying mid-week, but nonetheless I found this "solution" to be highly unusual and a testament to their dedication to their guests. Our room was clean, fresh, very well appointed, extremely comfortable, and absolutely gorgeous. The weather was pretty miserable while we were there and having such an incredible room to return to each day was a major win. The hotel is located in the downtown area and is close to some decent shopping and restaurants. However, Montreal is fairly spread out so we relied on cabs and the metro fairly often.

We ordered room service a few times and were very satisfied with the service and the food itself. We also used the concierge, Piero, on several occasions and were consistently happy with his recommendations. Our stay was enhanced by small gestures and extreme attention to detail; a bookmark placed in my book on the nightstand to save the binding, small hand and body treats each evening at turn down, and a "Ritz room spray" gift awaiting us on arrival. If, or when, we return to Montreal we will certainly be staying at the Ritz again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim L
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

My 17 year old daughter and I stayed here for one evening over March break. From the moment we entered the building we were treated like royalty by all the staff and made to feel very welcome. Veronica personally brought us to our room and spent time to show us how all the gadgets work in the room and she really shined when she helped us decide on restaurants and prom dress shopping for my daughter. Such a lovely and caring lady. Our room was gorgeous, very clean and wonderfully appointed. The hotel thought of all the details that make a stay memorable. From heated towel racks to the very modern toilets that are heated with many functions that lift and close automatically like the blinds and lights. The room was perfect for us, high ceilings, lovely trim, accent lighting and a perfect combo of cream and purple accents. We also enjoyed afternoon tea in a stunning setting with excellent service from the two gentlemen that served us and made the afternoon memorable. As we were waiting for our taxi to leave, Veronica must have noticed us and made a point of coming to say goodbye and inquire as to how our stay was at the Ritz. I will definitely stay at this hotel again, the location is great, you can walk easily to all the stores downtown and it is a short 10 minute cab ride to Old Montreal. Directly beside the hotel is a Tiffany's and Holt Renfrew. The Eatons Centre is a 15 minute walk away. The luggage porters were all excellent and very friendly and polite. The Ritz in Montreal has customer service figured out to the highest level and the staff take great pride in their hotel which is evident by the cleanliness and attitude of everyone. We will be back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Lexus62
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The worst hotel experience of my life. After waiting over a half hour to speak to someone from management about my qualms with the property, I was met with hostility and asked to leave the hotel. The manager, Guillaume [--](who claimed he owned the hotel) told my guest that he would not charge me for the breakfast if we would promptly leave the property. We left immediately and then he continued to bill me for breakfast (a bill which employees took the liberty to fill out themselves). It took me one week, three promised telephone calls from customer service that were never made, and my own initiating contact in order to be reimbursed for the fraudulent charging of the breakfast. There has been no effort to compensate me for the humiliating experience I paid over 1,000 dollars to endure. It is evident that with the departure of Horst Schulze that the Ritz-Carlton has lost its mystique. A hotel corporation that once functioned like a work of art is now worse than a rundown movie theatre.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
42 Thank Jeffrey F
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I don't know about other travelers but I always find difficulty getting good service in Montreal. I've stayed at the ritz twice now and both have been excellent experiences , the rooms are great, the location excellent within walking distance from st. Catherine etc.. It has a great gym , great pool, when it's too cold to move around , and a fabulous restaurant in Maison boulod , most of all , the staff are super nice. I will be coming again

Stayed February 2014