“History and Luxury Together”

The Ritz-Carlton, Montreal
Ranked #1 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I have been to almost all the major hotels in Montreal but the Ritz-Carlton is one of my favourites. If you have never stayed in an ultra-luxury brand hotel before and are reading this review thinking about it, don't think, just reserve a room here and be prepared for a wonderful experience.

Coming from a history background I am attracted to the fact that the Ritz-Carlton Montreal is the hotel that started one of the most iconic hotel lines in the world, you can feel the history when you walk in, but more importantly you can see it. The hotel underwent massive renovations but it kept all the aspects of the past that made it such an icon. Original mouldings and materials, even the postal box all create for a beautiful looking hotel. The location is also quite excellent as most of the major sites are very close though Old-Montreal is a bit of a trek for those who are not the walking type.

When I first arrived to check in I was immediately and courteously welcomed and brought a bottle of water and a warm, moist cloth. Being an elite member with Marriott I was thanked and brought to my room where the service man carried my luggage and engaged in meaningful conversation with me about my visits to Montreal. Once your door is opened for you the room comes to life. The blinds open, lights come on and you are welcomed to the beauty and luxury that is the Ritz-Carlton. I was graciously shown around the room and than left to my own. The new rooms are absolutely stunning, more so that most Ritz-Carlton properties I have seen. Beautiful accents and warm, inviting colours, the most comfortable bed I have been in and the bathroom is jaw-dropping with marble everywhere, dual vanities, heated floors, electronic toilet, massive soaker tub with TV and a beautiful rainfall shower. When my partner arrived she was taken aback by the beauty of the property and the room, she absolutely loved it. We even ordered room service from the all-hours menu after a late night with friends and the food was delicious and reasonably priced for what you get which is great. It is small details that make a big impression and this hotel does not disappoint. The tea room is wonderful and the garden in the back stunning, even the infinity pool on the roof is gorgeous. If you stay here take advantage of all it has to offer, it really is worth it.

If I had one thing that could be improved it would be the simplicity of the electronic controls for the lights and blinds, it has a slight learning curve but tit is an incredibly minor detail. If you have made it this far in the review than please stop reading right now and just go and book a room, you will absolutely not regret it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony_Nairn
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Montreal

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is a VERY special hotel. From the minute you pull up until the minute you leave, you are treated like royalty. The rooms are brand new, and the service is second to none. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels, but I will not be able to stay anywhere else without comparing it to this one.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We just got home from a 5day/4night stay at the Ritz-Carlton Montreal. There were four of us and my room had gotten upgraded upon check-in with the Amex platinum program. The staff was able to give us adjoining rooms which were separated by a long closet and beautiful hardwood floors.

The bathroom is state of the art with heated floors, Neorest toilets, towel warmers, rain shower heads and deep soaking tubs. They even had a dental floss dispenser right in the mirror. The staff was amazing. Every night housekeeping would come by with a different amenity ranging from lavender hand balms to mint foot balms and bath salts. They even have a pillow menu!

On our first evening, I was surprised to be given a 'soap menu'. One of the staff brought by an entire tray of assorted bath soaps for us to choose from! Then they came back when they saw my daughter to give her a stuffed animal, slippers and smaller robe.

With the renovation, this Ritz-Carlton is state of the art. Everything is automated from the shades to your lights. There is even a motion detecting light in the bathroom for when you get up in the middle of the night that glows a deep red. It turns on when you get out of bed and shuts off once you get back in bed!

The restaurant is fantastic - not surprising since the chef has earned Michelin stars at his other restaurants. The staff are all friendly and helpful and I would definitely stay here again. It's nicely situated close to Rue St. Catherine for those who'd like to shop and in close proximity to the metro.

The views weren't much to talk about since all I could see were inside other buildings on the side we were on. But we were so busy all day and night, I'd mostly come back and shut the shades anyway.

You can see more pics and findings on Montreal on my blog: osterhuh.com

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank osterhuh
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Decor is great, service as well. Well located, in the nice section of downtown. Near museums, shopping and restaurants. Safe area. We loved it. We would go back. Ask for a backyard room. View is not nice ut it is quiet; you'll sleep like a baby.

Room Tip: Ask for a backyard room. View is not nice ut it is quiet; you'll sleep like a baby.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RoxidouNoiro
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at the Ritz in Montreal and found the hotel to be extremely comfortable, luxurious, and managed by an excellent staff. We arrived a touch early and our room wasn't ready yet; their solution was to upgrade us so that we could get into our room almost immediately. Granted, it is low season and we were staying mid-week, but nonetheless I found this "solution" to be highly unusual and a testament to their dedication to their guests. Our room was clean, fresh, very well appointed, extremely comfortable, and absolutely gorgeous. The weather was pretty miserable while we were there and having such an incredible room to return to each day was a major win. The hotel is located in the downtown area and is close to some decent shopping and restaurants. However, Montreal is fairly spread out so we relied on cabs and the metro fairly often.

We ordered room service a few times and were very satisfied with the service and the food itself. We also used the concierge, Piero, on several occasions and were consistently happy with his recommendations. Our stay was enhanced by small gestures and extreme attention to detail; a bookmark placed in my book on the nightstand to save the binding, small hand and body treats each evening at turn down, and a "Ritz room spray" gift awaiting us on arrival. If, or when, we return to Montreal we will certainly be staying at the Ritz again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim L
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My 17 year old daughter and I stayed here for one evening over March break. From the moment we entered the building we were treated like royalty by all the staff and made to feel very welcome. Veronica personally brought us to our room and spent time to show us how all the gadgets work in the room and she really shined when she helped us decide on restaurants and prom dress shopping for my daughter. Such a lovely and caring lady. Our room was gorgeous, very clean and wonderfully appointed. The hotel thought of all the details that make a stay memorable. From heated towel racks to the very modern toilets that are heated with many functions that lift and close automatically like the blinds and lights. The room was perfect for us, high ceilings, lovely trim, accent lighting and a perfect combo of cream and purple accents. We also enjoyed afternoon tea in a stunning setting with excellent service from the two gentlemen that served us and made the afternoon memorable. As we were waiting for our taxi to leave, Veronica must have noticed us and made a point of coming to say goodbye and inquire as to how our stay was at the Ritz. I will definitely stay at this hotel again, the location is great, you can walk easily to all the stores downtown and it is a short 10 minute cab ride to Old Montreal. Directly beside the hotel is a Tiffany's and Holt Renfrew. The Eatons Centre is a 15 minute walk away. The luggage porters were all excellent and very friendly and polite. The Ritz in Montreal has customer service figured out to the highest level and the staff take great pride in their hotel which is evident by the cleanliness and attitude of everyone. We will be back!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lexus62
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The worst hotel experience of my life. After waiting over a half hour to speak to someone from management about my qualms with the property, I was met with hostility and asked to leave the hotel. The manager, Guillaume [--](who claimed he owned the hotel) told my guest that he would not charge me for the breakfast if we would promptly leave the property. We left immediately and then he continued to bill me for breakfast (a bill which employees took the liberty to fill out themselves). It took me one week, three promised telephone calls from customer service that were never made, and my own initiating contact in order to be reimbursed for the fraudulent charging of the breakfast. There has been no effort to compensate me for the humiliating experience I paid over 1,000 dollars to endure. It is evident that with the departure of Horst Schulze that the Ritz-Carlton has lost its mystique. A hotel corporation that once functioned like a work of art is now worse than a rundown movie theatre.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends