“Very nice..... But.”

Ranked #1 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Hantsport, Canada
“Very nice..... But.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Well.... To celebrate my 50th birthday, we decided to go to Montreal to see a Bruins Habs play off game and stay at the Ritz! We were so excited, but when we arrived at the Ritz at 3:30 p.m. We were told our room wasn't ready and they would call us when it was ready. Well, after an early morning flight and a brisk walk from the Bell Centre, I wasn't expecting that our room at the highly rated luxury hotel wouldn't be ready. When we politely asked how long we would have to wait, we were told approximately 2 hours! I couldn't believe it! The young man who was helping us apologized and asked the older more senior lady beside him if there was anything available and she very sharply said "non". All he said is that we could have a free drink in the bar if we wanted, that's it! I said we had waited a long time for this day and we were there to celebrate my 50th birthday and we were extremely disappointed that our room would not be available for 2 hours. By that time, we would be on our way to the Habs game! The young man, Olivier, then spoke with another worker behind the counter who also seemed to be more senior, and he said he was able to find us a room. This was great news, however I almost feel we were discriminated against and that they were holding some rooms for others who may have more status than us! With the exception of Olivier, no one apologized or made us feel welcome when checking in. This has never happened to us at any other hotel we have stayed at. When reading other reviews on this hotel, I read about people being upgraded for minor inconveniences and special things like birthday cake being put in rooms. Well, for us we received nothing. I feel that a hotel like this must be more consistent. Yes, our room was lovely as everyone else has written about, but the way we were treated when checking in was upsetting! After the game when we returned to our room, the bed had been turned down, slippers were put by our bed, but they had not replenished our mini fridge with the 2 beer we had earlier which I assumed they would have done. I the morning we went for their continental breakfast which was in the lovely atrium. We were not given any choice of where we wanted to sit and we were put in the middle of 2 other couples, pretty much shoulder to shoulder. We opted for the Buffet which consisted of fresh fruit, bagels, yogurt, salmon and some pastries. It was average at best but when we went to sign for it, it was over $80.00 for the both of us. Thankfully it was covered as part of our room, but seriously..... Over $80.00! Would we ever go back? Definitely not! I can't believe that this is ranked as the number one hotel. If you were to read my other reviews, you would see that I am not one to complain, in fact I like to give others the benefit of the doubt, but this experience was definitely not a positive one. It is beyond me how a 5 star luxury hotel can have such discrepancies in their service. Yes, there are people like Olivier and the young man at the pool who are very very nice, but someone needs to look at the consistency of their services and also how people are treated by ALL people at the desk when their rooms are not ready. A 2 hour wait at a 5 star hotel ! ! Never again!

24 Thank wolfville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

For Montrealers, the Ritz-Carlton has been a landmark of elegant Sherbrooke avenue for more than one century and is part of our history as the Grand Dame. I had the opportunity to attend a few events there more than 2 decades ago but at that time, the hotel and mostly the rooms were showing their age . The hotel closed in 2008 as the finance world was crashing, for renovations and I was, among many , not sure if it will reopen one day and find again its former grandeur. As said another reviewer, wow ! Every historical details, moldings, fireplaces, the old mailbox, the staircase, the entryway .... have been restored perfectly , while in the rooms, leather headboards mix with pink velvet Louis XV chair, 1930 inspired desk and chandelier. Marble bathrooms with Japanese style Toto toilet, marble, heated floor....
Everything was what you expect and more: silence when you sleep - not those heavy duty HVAC system, soft rugs.
The service was amazing. When people go all the way and even more, without being snob or obsequious, you find what 5 stars service means.
We had breakfast in the conservatory of Maison Boulud, not very far from the famous duck's pound.
I just hope I will have to opportunity to stay another time at the Grand Dame of Sherbrooke street

2 Thank GMforever
Hunterdon County, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

According to the manager(who escorted us personally to our room), the hotel was recently gut renovated and updated. They did a wonderful job on almost everything. The bathrooms are amazing and include heated floors, deep soaking tubs, a rain shower, and a toto toilet. The pool on the PH is amazing with an Infiniti edge and outdoor deck. As with every Ritz, the service is outstanding. My boyfriend travels almost constantly for business and is a rewards member with Marriott. They knew it was his birthday and when we came back from our day's journey, there was a cake and card waiting for him. Very gracious and hospitable.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Honestly, I can't say I had huge expecations that this hotel would blow me out of the water. I have stayed at other Ritz Carlton hotels in the past year (New Orleans, Doha) and they were average. Those experiences made me question the reputation of the Ritz name, but my two nights at the Ritz Carlton Montreal has me sucked in once again!

I stayed 2 nights in April with my 2 sisters as our last "sister trip" before my sister gets married. I emailed the hotel in advance as a heads up that this was a "bachelorette" of sorts. They were very responsive and the following day the amazing Concierge, Veronica, called me to find out more details and see how she could help! I have never had that happen! It was much easier to speak over the phone and she had a bunch of great options on restaurant reservations and things to do during the day. She upgraded our room and made sure we had the right set up for 3 people in one room! We organized for champagne and strawberries to be set up for us upon arrival, which was a treat! She also was able to snag us a reservation at "Joe Beef" for 930pm on a Saturday two days in advance! WOW! Now THAT is some pull right there!

Although Veronica wasn't present over the weekend we stayed, Simon took incredible care of us as well. From our dinner at Maison Boulud (spectacular) to booking us a last minute reservation at XO at the St.James for brunch, the service was a true 5 star!

The hotel has just been redone and the rooms are very high quality. The bathrooms are super spacious and lovely with Toto toilets!

Would definitely stay at The Ritz Montreal on my next stay! Thank you again Veronica and Simon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank bleuette623
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed there 4 nights with one of my children end of April. That was my third time at the Ritz Carlton Montreal.
As usual the rooms were perfect, certainly one of the best equipment you can get in a 5 star hotel worldwide.
The staff is fantastic. The service is really perfect, they remember you from your previous stay (including the variety of coffee you want in your coffee machine).
Since my son was recovering from some light surgery we had some specific needs (medicine, ice, special meals,etc). There was nothing the staff would not quickly and efficiently respond to. And they have been so kind, really taking care.
They are really excellent!

Room Tip: I know 5 different rooms in this hotel (3 junior suites and 2 "standards"), all are very g...