“Nice Hotel - A Bit Overrated”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Bonaparte

Hotel Bonaparte
Ranked #4 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Philadelphia Pennsylvania
“Nice Hotel - A Bit Overrated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here three nights, 16-19 February 2012, in the suite (Room 507). The hotel was very nice but, in my opinion, not as nice as some of the reviews here on TripAdvisor. The suite was clean, comfortable, and tastefully decorated. There were a few things I wasn't particularly happy with. I'd rate the hotel at about 3 3/4 stars if that were possible.

Our suite consisted of a large bedroom (the one pictured on the opening TripAdvisor page, at least as of the day I'm writing this), a large bathroom, a decent-sized sitting room, and a hall/foyer connecting the three. Overall, the suite was initially clean and well-constructed, but the furniture was eclectic, in that while nearly every item of furniture was attractive and in the Empire style, few of the pieces looked as though they belonged together. It was as though someone bought various pieces of nice furniture at different yard and estate sales and brought them together - they didn't quite match one another. Dimmer switches in bed, bath, and sitting rooms were a nice touch, as was the fact that all door hinges were well-oiled and didn't squeak.

In the bedroom, the matress was very comfortably -- unusually, for both me and my wife. She prefers a relative soft mattress, and I prefer a firm one. This one was firm, but with a very soft top layer, and the sheets were up to my wife's demanding standards ("smooth and confortable, but still substantial). The curtains worked well, so the bedroom was very dark and easy to sleep well in. Other furniture in the bedroom included desk/chair set, side table (with alarm clock) and another table, comfortable chair, bench at the foot of the bed, television vanity with two drawers for clothes, and a roomy closet. Great bedroom.

Bathroom was tiled in marble with a granite sink. Amenities included a large "double" jacuzzi (not quite big enough for two), separate comfortably-sized shower stall, mirror, plentiful lights, toilet, plentiful towels, and well-selected toiletries. The only thing noticeably missing was a soap dish for the sink - I disliked having to pry the soap bar from the surface every day. Still, a very nice bath.

Sitting room was large enough for two (maybe three or four) to sit comfortably, and the bedroom door permitted one of us to sit up while the other slept. Furniture included a couch, upholstered chair, large coffee table, and several sitting chairs. In the sitting room was a small (larger than dorm size, maybe "half-size") refrigerator that was stocked with a few cans of soda and several bottles of beer. Glasses, mugs, a coffee maker, and coffee were provided (as was a wine bottle opener and sugar tongs), but no tea, sweetener, or creamer/whitener. I thought this might be an oversight the first night, but they weren't provided any of the three nights. Actually, we had to ask a few times to have the refrigerator re-stocked, which annoyed me a bit (the sort of nickel-and-dimey thing that ought not to be an issue, in my opinion).

Housekeeping was a bit of an issue. Large messes (e.g., wet towels thrown in the tub) were consistently cleaned and the bed was made well each day, but most "small messes" were missed. Needlepoint scraps left on the coffee table each night were removed, but left on the floor instead, as were crumbs. The refrigerator wasn't restocked until we asked several times, and sweetener for the coffee provided never arrived (admittedly, I forgot to ask specifically for it, but should I need to?) Also, a few light bulbs remained burned out the whole time we were there.

A very nice feature was the balcony attached to the sitting room. During our stay, it was covered with snow, but seemed nice - had a nice view of the side of the Basilica of Notre Dame (bells were not an issue, as I had feared - not that loud). There was a cast iron table and pair of chairs which seemed as though they'd be nice on a pleasant evening. Also nice were the sheer curtains behind the main curtains on two of the windows facing the balcony. (I wish they had had sheer curtains behind the main curtains in the bedroom, too, so we could have had the curtains open while dressing).

The staff at the hotel was very helpful and pleasant (all spoke English, too). I appreciated the Internet/printer station in the sitting room beside the lobby.

Restaurant Bonaparte is located in the same building, and breakfast is served (not by the restaurant staff) there each morning. Breakfast (included with our stay) was very pleasant - juice, coffee, yogurt of fresh fruit salad, croissants or toast, and a choice of several entrees (french toast was very good, as were the omelettes; crepes were good, but lacked filling). At dinner, the restaurant (now with the restaurant staff) is extremely good. We didn't eat lunch there, but I think it's open for lunch.

The hotel location was convenient for touring the old city in Montreal, and was about 3-4 blocks from the nearest Metro (subway) station. For some reason, none of the several cab drivers we used in Montreal seemed to be able to find the hotel, even when we provided the address (easiest way is to tell them either to drop you off at the basilica and walk the last block or tell them to drive 3/4 block around from the front of the basilica). Even with the basilica (and its bells), the neighborhood seemed pretty quiet on Thursday-Sunday.

Overall, the hotel was very nice, and I'd stay there again (especially in any of rooms 503, 505, and 507). I don't really think it's quite as nice as some other reviewers make it out to be, though. If the owners read this, I'd recommend paying a bit more attention to stocking the refrigerator and coffee/tea supplies and keeping up the housekeeping for occupied rooms.

While checking out, I managed to look in adjacent rooms 505 and 503

Room Tip: Courtyard side rooms (503 and 505) have a view of the basilica (side) and a courtyard/parking lot, a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank KristyneA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

We chose this hotel in part because of its Trip Advisor Rating/Reviews which have never disappointed me. I don't opt for #1 ratings exclusively as price does matter since I very much love to travel to new destinations as often as feasible.

In this case, it was very evident that this rating was well-deserved. Michael, Sabrina and Sophia were charming and thoughtful. Sabrina remembered that I had asked for a particular room at the time of reservation but was not available. So it was a delight that it was assigned to us upon arrival and I hadn't even mentioned it!

The restaraunt here just happened to be outstanding. Everything we had for dinner the first night and breakfasts were delicious! I can't emphasize enough how this hotel made this the best experience of all my Canadian sojourns!

Thank you!

4 Thank tatina9
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

This hotel merges a classic old french beauty with a staff that is above and beyond! Montreal is a very special place because of the wonderful stay. I had stayed at another hotel on business in October and had to return to this city. I saw that trip advisor ranked this hotel #1 and made my decision based on the reviews. The room was warm and welcoming. The staff especially Michael at reception was so personable and accommodating,it truly made this experience special. Lets not forget the food! The french toast was over the top, the french cuisine was a cultural experience and the restaurant staff mimics the hotel reception personel. If you are ever in Montreal treat yourself! A block away from Notre Dome, and three blocks from the metro. A true diamond in the crown!

1 Thank 4n6melrn
northeast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed for 2 nights over the christmas weekend. Very nice hotel and quiet (though it appeared to not be very full). We had a second floor room facing the 'courtyard' (not a particularly nice view). Very comfortable bed and pillows. The staff were courteous and helpful. We had dinner the first night which was expensive but very good...particularly the wild mushroom ravioli. Unlike any I've ever had and wish I had the recipe! HIGHLY recommended if you dine there. Next time I will have that and a salad instead of a more expensive entree (had the dover sole for about $36.).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fussc
Canton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

This is my third trip to Auberge Bonaparte. Each time I go there, I enjoy it more. The staff is so nice and helpful. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard. Breakfast is included, but you'll also want to have a...
Kinnelon, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Courteous, kind, thoughtful, considerate, cool, comfortable, and friendly. Room, food, location, service and staff were exceptional. Highly recommend. Looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NJ_Traveler615
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

First time to Montreal and we had an absolutely excellent stay! Not one complaint! Our room was fantastic with a private balcony perfect for viewing the fireworks. Plus the breakfast was terrific as well. Will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: 501 and 507 I think are the only 2 with balconies although there is a roof top balcony that is open...