“My stay at Montreal”

Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (Musee des Beaux-Arts)
Book In Advance
Ranked #6 of 393 things to do in Montreal
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1860 as the Art Association of Montreal by a group of Montreal art collectors and patrons, the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (MMFA) was one of the first museums in North America to build up an encyclopedic collection worthy of the name. It now numbers over 41,000 works from Antiquity to today, making it unique in Canada. It comprises paintings, sculptures, graphic arts, photographs and decorative art objects displayed in four pavilions: the Jean-Noel Desmarais Pavilion (international art), the Michal and Renata Hornstein Pavilion (world cultures), the Liliane and David M. Stewart Pavilion (decorative arts and design) and the Claire and Marc Bourgie Pavilion (Quebec and Canadian art). The latter, which was inaugurated in September 2011, includes a 444-seat concert hall - Bourgie Hall - featuring an important group of Tiffany stained glass windows. A fifth wing, the Michal and Renata Hornstein Pavilion for Peace devoted to international art and education, will open in late 2016 to launch Montreal's 375th anniversary celebrations.
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“My stay at Montreal”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I went to Montreal to present my paper in XXIII General Assembly & Congress of International Union of Crystallography held during 5th -12th August 2014. I was busy with my symposium. However, I manage to travel a bit. Old Montreal on bank of St. Lawrence River I liked most. I saw horse carriages plying along the strand. An old church and street side cafes remind me of late medevial Europe. I enjoyed strolling along Rue St. Catherine and Rue President Kennedy.. Art museum in Rue St. Urbain.is simply splendid. People of Montreal are extremely tourist friendly.

• Arabic first
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A very spacious museum”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

This museum has a total of 4 buildings which are all connected underground. My friend and I didn't know so we crossed the street to go to the next building only to find that there is no entrance and had to walk back! The neat thing about this museum is that anyone under 30 years old can enter for free! However, you do have to pay $12 for the Faberge exhibit. The exhibits are pretty spread out across the 4 buildings so you will not feel crowded in this museum. My friend and I was able to go through 3 buildings in 3 hours so I would recommend spending half a day here at least. Be sure to try out the Cafe in here because the sandwiches are really good! There is a sit-down restaurant and a self-serve cafe. We found the sit-down restaurant a little too fancy for us for lunch so we went for the self-serve cafe. The sandwich was really good but could be a little bigger as it was not too filing.

Hewitt
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Allow plenty of time for this fabulous museum!”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We opted to just view the museum's collection and not the special Faberge exhibition. The collection has all the big names, divided into rooms based on styles and era. It is wonderful! There are four buildings and we only made it through one of them in about 2.5 hours. We wished for more time. The best exhibit we saw was a special one on Napoleon. There were several personal items displayed along with some oils depicting the history of the time. Worth a visit.

Brooklyn, New York
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Lovely museum with large collection”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We try to visit this museum whenever we are Montreal. It often has interesting special exhibits and the standing collection is quite good as well.

Orlando, Florida
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Faberge Exhibit”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Our time was limited, so we were only able to visit the Faberge exhibit, but it was wonderful. Four original Faberge eggs were on display in addition to many other Faberge pieces. The history of the pieces and of the times was explained as part of the exhibit. Wish that we had had more time to see more of the museum.