“Great Find”

Ranked #27 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
boston
“Great Find”
Reviewed 28 November 2010

I am a gay man who travels to Montreal once a year. I like shopping, going to restaurants, and clubbing there. I usually stay at the hotel de Gouverneur which is a totally acceptable place. This Thanksgiving weekend I was traveling with my dog and I stayed at La Conceirgerie because they allow dogs. I expected a nice cozy hotel and I was really impressed. The rooms were great, well decorated, and clean. The hosts were amazing. The location was perfect! The breakfast was very cute. I am hooked. I will never stay anywhere else. I travel often and I am very particular about my hotels. Trust me you will love this one. I had an emergency in Boston and I had to leave the hotel a night early and the host was nice enough to not charge me for the night. There is no question, this is the place to stay in Montreal. I am just sad I did not find out about it till now.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank moi1974

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cranston, Rhode Island
Reviewed 14 August 2010

My partner and I spent 3 days in Montreal and wish it had been much longer -- largely due to la Conciergierie. The service was superb: Luc checked us in, gave us a tour of the inn, explained the amenities and then left us to enjoy ourselves -- unless we needed assistance, which he was available to provide at any time we needed it. He is articulate, charming, has a terrific sense of humor and makes everyone feel welcome.

We were in room 305 -- charming room with a lovely private bathroom (shower only) and a huge window looking out onto a small deck and a lush garden. Others have mentioned the room(s) being small, etc. I feel that the room was a nice size with an armoire, desk, nightstands and a large comfortable bed.

The location is great. Just a couple of blocks to the subway, clubs, restaurants, pharmacy, supermarket, liquor store, etc. -- and an easy walk to Old Montreal and other areas. (Note: the subway in Montreal is great -- particularly if you buy a pass. We bought 3-day passes for a few dollars and rode the subway at least 20 times on those passes.) We loved the towels, the decor, the shampoo/soap in the shower, the garden, the decks, the rooftop -- everything. We felt that Luc and Michael had thought of everything to make guests feel relaxed and pampered. In addition to the functional things (towels, etc.), there is beauty everywhere you look -- from the furniture and artwork indoors to the plants, deck chairs, flagstones and sculpture outdoors. A feast for the eyes!

I can't think of one negative thing to say about la Conciergerie. We loved the hosts, the house, the room, the garden, the food, the conversation -- and the city. We spent a lot of time exploring various neighborhoods during our stay and were always so happy to have a quiet, friendly home to go back to to relax before going out again for the evening. Sitting in the garden late afternoon/early evening with a cocktail and a book can be a great way to recharge between events!

I can't imagine why we'd stay anywhere else the next time we go back to Montreal.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank randms2
New York, NY
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I have been to Montreal several times, but this was the first time for my partner. I had seen many reviews suggesting Le Conciergerie, all of them positive. So i decided the time was right to give it a try. We like spending our money with the gay community, so I booked the B&B.
We arrived in the afternoon and we were greeted by Michael. He was efficient and friendly. We were checked in, Michael even walking me over to the parking garage so we could park our rental indoors for $10 a day.
Le Conciergerie is a gorgeous B&B. Apparently two buildings linked together, each public area is immaculate and well kept.
The room we were in #305 had a private bath and was on the back side of the building near the garden. It was cool our first night and we left the window wide open for a cool breeze.
The morning breakfast was good, and served in a lovely dining room or the garden. We really liked the clientèle here. Friendly, from all over the word (mostly Americans).
The hot tub is a nice touch and its spotless. Surely thanks to the super HOT "maid service: we especially drooled over Pablo. LOL
Michael disappeared for a few days and Luc took over, he's the other owner. Super friendly and fun. The two of them made our stay a great visit. We will surely be back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cpassant
California
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We just spent 3 nights in this B&B and were treated wonderfully by Luc from the moment we arrived. We hadn't been in Montreal in a long time and were very pleased with the location - just a 10 minute walk to Old Montreal, Chinatown, the Metro and the Village. Located on a quiet side street yet close to everything. The hotel is immaculate and the rooms furnished nicely. Breakfast was great and more than your typical continental breakfast. The outside terrace and rooftop terrace were beautiful and very inviting. All in all we highly recommend La Conciergerie and would definitely stay there again when in Montreal.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Returned here for a second time, first stay was last year. It's a very cozy, friendly Bed & Breakfast. It was a great value since there was a special rate for the weekend (3 nights at the cost of 2 nights.) The hosts, Jonathan and Luc, are very friendly and accommodating. The combination of the two are able to entertain in English and French. Breakfast and coffee are served promptly at 8:00 am till noon. Food and beverages are restocked as needed unlike other facilities that leave a limited amount of food primarily for the first customers to arrive.

Some rooms may be smaller than others. I haven't seen most, but there are at least 17 . During big weekend events, the environment is very social as you will meet many people from all over Canada and the U.S. during breakfast or lounging in the living room or jacuzzi. Some rooms have private baths, some semi-private, and some shared. All are very affordable. There is a home gym on the premises. They have free weights and a cable system that allows you to target a wide variety of muscle groups. There was no TV in the rooms where we've stayed. We had to watch in the living room. We didn't come to Montreal to watch TV though so this wasn't much of an issue. There is WiFi within the facility. The connection was perfect this year unlike last year so it is a welcomed improvement.

The location may or may not be convenient depending on what you want to do. It is an affordable 30 minute cab ride from the airport at $38CAD, after tip about $45CAD. It is in walking distance from the main drag where the bars, clubs, and restaurants are located. It could be a long walk to the one end of the drag though. This time around we utilized the Metro and bus system so getting around was much more convenient and affordable.
La Conciergerie is in walking distance from Chinatown. It is close enough to old Montreal, but I would either take a cab or use mass transit.

In summary, I would stay at La Conciergerie again in the future. It is a great bargain with terrific hosts. It has a convenient location to explore the city. The only time I think I would stay elsewhere would be if the place was fully booked or if I needed to be closer to a certain venue.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Jersey - GB
Reviewed 1 November 2009

La Conciergerie is a charming "old world" guest house that is welcoming and comfortable in a quiet residential area just a couple of blocks from Berri UQAM subway station and the main strip of the gay village on Rue St Catherine (about 10 mins walk).

The guest house is a good size with a variety of bedrooms including those with en-suite facilities and those without. We had an en-suite room which was nicely decorated and comfortable. The room was a bit on the small side and the bathroom was basic, but clean and well maintained. The public areas of the hotel are full of 19th century features which compliment the character and charm of Montreal itself. There is a cosy sitting area with a computer for guest use and a television. The "lower ground floor" features a comfortable breakfast room, a gym and a indoor hot-tub. The eating area leads onto a small but nicely designed patio/garden area.

All in all we found the guest house to be cosy, quiet and very welcoming. Also we enjoyed the company of the fellow guests with whom we went out on occasion to explore the city.

Montreal is a fantastic city which mixes a North American city with French language and culture. The old part of town has a very French feel to it with buildings which look like they have been lifed out of northern France. The Basilique de Notre Dame is well worth a visit as it's interior is jaw droppingly stunning. Also a walk up to the top of Mont Royal for it's panoramic views across the city is a must. It's a steep walk so be prepared!

The subway system is very safe, clean and easy to use. A day "travel card" for all public transport is reasonable value at $9.

Day excursions to Quebec city and Ottawa are possible and well worth it.

This trip was our wedding trip and we had a wonderful wedding in Ottawa City hall. We shall return, but in summer next time!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MatthewGreen
Luray, Virginia
Reviewed 25 October 2009

The owners; Michael & Luke and staff at La Conciergerie go above and beyond to make sure that everyone has an enjoyable stay. Always greeting you with a smile, they provide great conversation, detailed directions to area attractions, restaurants, night life and subway destinations, there customer service skill is top notch. Being bed and breakfast owners ourselves we are very observant of this. La Conciergerie is in close proximity to anything that you want to do in the area. The guest rooms are well appointed; comfy beds and very clean. We met some great guys there, conversations at breakfast was entertaining and Jonathan is a great host providing a filling breakfast each morning. You'll enjoy meeting other guests on the roof top deck or in the garden area. Planning a trip to Montreal? I highly recommend a stay at La Conciergie!! Thanks again guys.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends