“A serene oasis to float your worries away - except for one rude employee”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Avie Spa

Avie Spa
Ranked #50 of 81 Spas & Wellness in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: AVIE Spa - Old Montreal - Located in the Marriott Springhill Suites in a warm and welcoming hospitality in the heart of charming and historic Old Montreal. Avie Spa is a relaxing, pampering, and nourishing environment just for you. We feature some of the finest quality spa products and services including hammam, body treatments, hair cuts, massages, manicures, pedicures, hair removal and so much more!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A serene oasis to float your worries away - except for one rude employee”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

We were welcomed by a wonderful bilingual woman who offered us tea and choices of aromatherapy massage oils. The spa is warm, zen and very clean. We were shown into a small co-ed vestiare where we changed into our bathrobes and flipflops - and then taken into the hammam. The half hour steam experience and ensuing couples massage (60 min) were fabulous (do ask for Abdel!). We were relaxed and floating when we went to get changed.

However once we were in the change room (which is a tight fit for two people getting changed) - there was repeated insistent knocking at the door telling us that other people needed to get in. We opened the door and reassured them that we were hurrying to get dressed - once we closed the door - the knocking started AGAIN with an employee insisting that two other people needed to get in immediately so that their treatments could get started. At this point we had been in the change room perhaps FIVE minutes - I once again politely mentioned that we were hurrying and - that there would not be enough room for four people in the small area. I closed the door to at-this-point frantically rush my partner and myself. And ONCE AGAIN, the knocking started - this time I opened the door and curtly said - we are half-clothed in here and hurrying - 'if you would like to come in right now with myself and my partner nude please feel free.' Needless to say, they gave us an extra minute - and then we rushed out as fast as we could - not even having used the hairdryer - to make room for the next appointments.

So after the wonderful welcome, the idyllic hammam experience and the deep, relaxing massage - our afternoon ended up with a little bit of a bitter-rushed-ending that left a sour taste in my mouth. Is the spa worth going to? Yes definitely. Do they give good massages - yes. Could the services have been more consistent from start to finish - yes. Would I try again? Maybe in a little while.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank UrbanYogini
CATALINA C, Owner at Avie Spa, responded to this review, 16 December 2012
Dear client:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. From the information included in your review we can pin point when your appointment took place. Indeed, that day, after your treatments, a large group of clients came to the spa. We know as a fact, that they where in a hurry to get changed and some of the knocking was done by the clients who didn't know if they could come in or not. Either way, client or employee, we do not find acceptable that you had felt rushed and this is why we would like to apologize to you.

Our compromise is that clients are well served and satisfied through out their whole visit.

We hope you come and visit us again.

We appreciate your business and we are eager to offer you the best service.

CATALINA CAMACHO

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Hammam and exfoliation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

I used a Groupon deal to have the hammam exfoliation experience. Having been to an authentic hammam in Morocco, I had an idea of what to expect. It was not rushed at all and my skin is now amazingly soft.

I was given a locker for my stuff, flipflops and a super soft bathrobe.

A few differences: they added peppermint oil to their argan oil. Either it is not real argan or people here don't like the scent of real argan oil. I'm not sure, but was a little surprised. In Morocco they often use orange blossom or rose instead.

I got too hot staying in the hammam and had to come out and stand - I didn't want to sit on the chair outside because I didn't want it to get covered in ghassoul. So that was a little odd. Also the only temperature the shower had was cold, making for major temperature differences between it and the hammam. It made it more like a Scandinavian bath experience and not quite what I was expecting.

Despite all that, this is probably the closest I'll ever get in Montreal to the Moroccan experience so it will have to do. I recommend doing it at the change of seasons and probably more frequently in the winter when you have dry skin. It's also a nice refuge from the cold outside.

The staff were nice and I bought an exfoliation mit to do the process myself at home (I already have black soap and ghassoul from Morocco :)

Visited November 2012
3 Thank LifeOptimist
Montreal
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

I went to this spa for hammam and exfoliation. The place is small and the staff is warm. The steam room is great, hot and clean. Unfortunetaly, the exfoliation was too quick and I felt a bit rushed, especially with a very noisy timer inside the room. The worse : I received exfoliation and mask while I was standing, which was completely awful and unrelaxing. There should be a space inside the hammam where the client can lie down to be exfoliated.

Visited November 2012
4 Thank carinefranck
CATALINA C, Manager at Avie Spa, responded to this review, 10 November 2012
Dear client:

Thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate clients giving us feedback so we can improve our services.

Indeed, the exfoliation standing up is uncomfortable for some people. Nevertheless, the exfoliation treatment was recently modified because other clients felt that when we did it inside the hammam on the bench that they can lie down, they did not had the space to rest a little from the steam.

For future occasions we will offer both choices so clients will be able to decide which suits them best and this way, make our hammam ritual a pleasant experience for everyone.

Again thank you. We really hope to see you in the future again.
Montreal, Canada
“Exactly what I need a spa to be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

Avie Spa provides very relaxing experiences. Whether it was for a massage or a haircut, my multiple visits were always positives. With its discrete and efficient team of pros, the spa offers quality services. Thank you, Avie Spa.

Visited October 2012
“Great relaxing experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

Excellent service, wonderful music. Andrea is a great hair dresser. The owner is very client oriented. The location is very good, in the middle of the beautiful old Montreal.

I loved the experience.