“Fun place to visit as a family ”

Biodome de Montreal
Ranked #15 of 393 things to do in Montreal
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Along with the Botanical Garden, the Insectarium and the Rio Tinto Alcan Planetarium, teh Biodôme is part of the Montréal Space for Life, Canada's largest natural museum science complex and Montreal's top must see attraction. Travel baggage-free at the Biodôme! Embark on an immersive, sensory journey through the ecosystems of the Americas. Listen to the sounds of the tropical rainforest, go in search of lynx in the Laurentian maple forest, dive into the heart of the Gulf of St. Lawrence and give a wink and a nod to the penguins in the sub-polar regions. Listen as our nature interpreters let you in on the secrets this fascinating biodiversity holds. An oasis in the heart of the city, the Montreal Biodome recreates some of the most beautiful ecosystems of the Americas which allows plans and animals to live as in their natural habitats.A unique experience of nature and fun !
Thornhill, Canada
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Fun place to visit as a family ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

It took about 1.5 hour at a normal pace to see everything so it's not a big place. From this perspective the price of $18.95 per adult is on the expensive side but you can buy a package that also gives access to the botanical gardens and the insectarium to get a better value for the money. Museum staff is very helpful in describing different animals and pointing interesting things out which adds to the experience. Penguins and puffins are particularly fun to watch.

1 Thank Queen_Marg0t

• Turkish first
Brasilia, DF
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“I had fonder memories than this time around”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I had fond memories of visiting the Biodome in my teenage years. I remember being fascinated by the fauna that you can see there, in their 'natural' habitat: penguins, lynx, seagulls, castors, etc. But taking my 2-year old was more disappointing than I remembered. I guess the awareness that adulthood brings kills some of the fun. The animals are clearly unhappy, more so than they would be in the outdoors, I think. Penguins are apathic. The lynx didn't even show up. It was also too crowded and too noisy. They allow flash photography, which I think must be awful for the animals, and my son was not as excited as I thought he would be. Also, you cannnot eat while visiting, which poses a problem for small children. It meant we had to rush through the 'seasons' so that he could grab a bite. I'm glad I had brought something with me, because food options are very limited, and quite expensive. Overall, although some aspects were fun, I will skip it next time I'm in town.

London, Canada
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Good attraction, but quick to see everything”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Buy the Montreal museums pass.

This attraction did not take long to see everything. Enjoyed the show, which was more of a theatre presentation. Very interactive staff.

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Quick stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

The Biodome while fun doesn't require a lot of time to get through all the exhibits, and I'm not sure if it is worth the money paid for admission. It is very nice inside and the different ecosystems are pretty accurate. I was expecting there to be more to the dome other than just the few ecosystems. There was a lot of construction outside and it was very difficult for my friend on crutches to get around. If you have someone who is handicap or injured this may not be the place to come, at least not until construction is finished. Parking was expensive, at least more expensive than I thought it should be, especially when if possible you can park on the street for free although that is a bit of a walk.

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

The first section within the Biodome, the tropical rain forest, was larger and more lifelike than I expected. It was an amazing experience to walk around in it and pretend you are actually in the forest. As you walk on to the other exhibits, though, they begin to get smaller and smaller. I was disappointed to see the other ones after I saw the tropical rain forest. The arctic section was rather small, and it was not as cold as I hoped for. There was a lot of construction going on outside around this area.