“Exactly what we wanted!”

Le Sieur De Joliette
Ranked #69 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Portland, Maine
“Exactly what we wanted!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My girlfriend and I just got back from a lovely weekend in Montreal. I didn't know the area at all, but I wanted a small, cozy B&B as part of the experience and this place was perfect!
The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the location was ideal. Our host Marc was very pleasant and very adaptable to our needs. Breakfast was very enjoyable with a small dining room that allows you to converse with others. I also loved that access to the Metro was a 5 minute walk away, which made it VERY easy to get to the sights we wanted to see.
Would definitely recommend this place to a friend!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our first trip to Quebec and we arrived at Le Sieur de Joliette after 6 hours in the car. Marc welcomed us with warmth and friendliness and introduced us to his portly tabby cat named Camelot. We had a lovely, homey room with a heavenly queen bed (it had one of those mattresses that just hugs you right back). We woke up the next morning to a decadent breakfast of yogurt and french toast and fresh berries. Marc was going back and forth between english and french to engage all os us in the breakfast room -- I was thoroughly impressed. Marc told us his favorite things to do, though it took us a few tries to figure out that "Le Cartier Latan" was really the Latin Quarter. It was fun to hear bits of Marc's life story, his previous adventures, and how he renovated the guest house entirely himself (probably with minimal help from Camelot, if he's anything like other unhelpful house cats). Every morning we woke up to Marc's delicious cooking, and his willingness to make anything that would make us happy (one of us is a picky eater with all kinds of inconvenient requests). Every evening it felt like we were coming home with tired traveler feet, and heart-deep gratitude for the comforts of Le Sieur de Joliette in its quaint, friendly neighborhood.

The Metro is right down the hill at the bottom of Rue Joliette. After our embarrassing first attempts to look like locals who ride the metro every day n.b.d., we eventually did get the hang of it and were riding it every which way like pros. We wore ourselves out on the very first day, biking all over town, craning our necks up to the top of Montreal's artfully designed skyscrapers, firing up tea lights at every magnificent cathedral we found, and eating poutine. After that first day we were SO glad that the B&B was a 2 minute walk from the metro.

The second day we went to the Biodome, which was a mere two stops on the metro, and oh how cute those sloths and penguins were. Definitely a must-see. On our last day, by which time we'd made friends with Marc and the other guests, we were sad to leave. Marc sent us on our way to the Marche Atwater (we were determined to find a fromagerie and get some of that amazing rubbery cheese they put in poutine). On our way there we realized we had missed an entirely lovely and quiet side of Montreal. The local side of town, with green parks and quirky decorated apartment buildings. Marche Atwater was like the lord of all outdoor markets, much much more than a cheese stop, it was stall after stall of delicious cheeses, meats, fruits, flowers, and pastries. I wish we had found that on Day 1. Life-changing cheese.

Long story short, we loved le Sieur de Joliette and look forward to going back next summer.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My family stayed here in July 2013; we chose it because everything downtown was booked up (Just For Laughs festival) and because this B&B is very close to the Botanical Gardens and the Biodome. The B&B is undergoing renovations and, perhaps because of this, it is not presenting itself wonderfully at the moment. Our impressions were not assisted by our first breakfast there, which consisted of, in part, 5-Alive 'juice' and Danone yogurts (though the croissants were excellent).
The location is perfect for the attractions mentioned, but distant to much else, so plan to eat downtown and drive / take the metro back to the B&B.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I have booked a room from June 29 to July 1 2013 by calling in to Le Sieur de Joliette well in advance to reserve booking, so I called in mid-May. Marc answered the phone and I made a reservation with him. He told me I could email him to confirm the booking using the online form on the website, which I did. Two weeks later, I haven't heard anything back from him, so I decided to make a call again. I was back in touch with Marc and I informed him about what happened. He told me not to worry, and he has me booked on for the days I reserved. I asked him if I needed to email him again and he said no, because he has got me down already. Both times during the phone conversation I had confirmed him twice about the reservation and dates. I took his word for it, seeing that he is the owner and he was very reassuring and confident about the room booking. I was entirely wrong.

So fast forward to June 29 and here I was, at Le Sieur de Joliette. The door was locked, and I was standing at the doorstep for five minutes and then a man with brown/gray hair with square-framed glasses pulled over. We later found out he was Marc Transon and I had told him that I have made a reservation for a 2-night stay at his B&B location. He said he now has no rooms available, and said he never recalled making a reservation with me, even though he had marked down my name for BOTH of the previous phone call reservations and the date of arrival and stay. We went into the B&B, first through a long hallway and then to a living room where his office sits. Papers were scattered all over the computer desk, some on the floor. He sat down, and claims that he has never made a reservation and that I would need to email him. I told him that I had asked if I should email him and his answer was a firm no, I asked twice during the phone conversation, and he was firm with his answer - that I didn't need to. So here I was, travelled for 6 hours, truly looking forward to the stay, and suddenly I found myself stranded in Montreal. It was 6pm at night, and I had nowhere to stay. I stood my ground with him and eventually he was willing to search for another hotel/B&B place. All the time he was searching on google and getting really frustrated with his computer (which is very slow). I am also not sure if he was able to operate a computer properly because he kept pressing each link on each webpage with two mouse clicks. Because the comp was operating so slow he would get impatient and restart the browser again, but he could have just waited a bit longer because it was almost done loading. All this time he kept shaking his head and muttering to himself. Anyway, back to the main story...

It turns out that most of the rooms were full. There was one in particular down in Ste Catherine for $99/night that was available (I had to pay). There was no choice so I had to take that one. It was rated 5.9 out of 10. It was loud (because below the rooms it was a club, so people partied till 3am - and yes, I know because I couldn't sleep until that time due to the loud noise). As such I had pretty poor sleep quality. Marc had mentioned that there would be rooms available the next night, so June 30. There was no way I could have stayed in that hotel for two nights straight because the noise level was way too high. It makes me question whey they would have hotels up above a club. And it smelled of smoke everywhere. Anyway, so June 30 night time, I stayed at Le Sieur de Joliette. Marc promised me a really good room, and turns out not to be, because it was right beside the main entrance with people walking back and forth, and the floors creaked when people walked, so it was quite noisy. The room across was double-doored and was much bigger than the room that I stayed in. I should have learned to not trust this man's words. But I usually give people benefit of a doubt.

The sleep quality was okay, bed was fine. Evidently, the room and the entire B&B location didn't look half as good as the photos they have. I must give credit to the photographers of this location because they did a really good job at making a place so cramped and monotoned so spacious and appealing. The complimentary breakfast was good - Marc prepared it himself - waffles with different types of berries, plus a glass of orange juice. I think that was the only positive I have about the stay and about him.

So now onto the money matters. Because I have purchased a voucher from TeamBuy for a two-night stay, I will need to get the refund for the one night that I stayed at the other hotel. He said straight out that he couldn't provide me with a refund and that I will have to ask TeamBuy. I later asked him how I could do this, because it has already way passed the refund day. He guaranteed that he would be making a call, personally, to TeamBuy the next day (because July 1 they are closed due to Canada day) to sort this out. Once again, he was really firm that he would be making the call the next day and he would email me about it.

I followed up about 4 days afterwards (giving him ample time to make that phone call), and Marc claimed he will do it the next day. I called him again after another 4 days - same thing. The next day I called, he said he will make sure he makes that call. Every time I call he says that. It's been way too long and he's just pushing it back even though it was just a simple phone call to TeamBuy.

Right now I still didn't get my refund and obviously I wont' be spending money to go back to him and person and sort things out. In the end, I trusted his word for it as he was the owner, but he turned out to be very disappointing - both his place and his character. How could anyone run a business when he is so unreliable and doesn't follow through his words? It's about establishing trust and he's definitely not on par with this.

As a wrap up? I wouldn't want to stay at a place like this, and I would urge people to really give it some thought about staying at Le Sieur de Joliette. I should have taken precaution when I read the poor reviews of this place. In the end, I didn't, so here I am - no refund because Marc kept postponing and not following through with his words with anything.

The location was okay, and that's only if you're interested in going to Botanical Gardens or Biodome because it was indeed a15 minute walk to these locations. Other than that, if you're more of a downtown Montreal person, or anywhere else, I wouldn't recommend staying here. It's a bit shabby (the neighbourhood) - far from upscale. It is very close to the station Joliette (just two-minute walk) but it's also a bit sketchy by seeing the people who are around the station (i.e. men with long ragged hair and unkempt clothes, women who look frail and who mumble to themselves without much teeth and that's not because they're old, or teens dressed like they are in hiphop MVs). Not to judge people by their cover, and they're prolly dressed like that - who knows, they might even have a PhD somewhere, right? So I'm just describing you the people I see, and you can make a decision about the environment.

Hope this helps. I still need to get my refund from this guy!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rose K
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My wife and I stayed here one night last weekend. We were in a basement bedroom unit, that had a queen sized bed. Small but met our needs well. Shared bathroom down the hall and a small lounge area. Very clean. Had a good breakfast in the upstairs area in the morning. On-street parking was free but you need to make sure you don't park in an unauthorized area.

Nice and close to the Botannical Gardens (we visited there and recommend it) and the Olympic Stadium. Not too far from the downtown area either. Owners were nice and friendly. The only negative was that our room did not have A/C and it was a bit too warm for our liking. But otherwise everything was fine. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaveBoi
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2010

This was our 5th stay over the last two years. It is become our place of choice while visiting in Montréal or as a stop-over en route to Québec City.

This B&B has been improving greatly from stay after stay.

This is a very caring location and you feel at home. The ownwr and keeper is extremely friendly and accomodating.

The breakfats are well balanced and excellent.

There are many excellent restaurants et walking distance. Being at two minutes walk from the subway (Metro) you don't need a car while in Montreal.

It is strongly recommended.

Gilles

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, ON
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Our stay at Le Sieur de Joliette was great. Our host, Marc, was most friendly and accommodating. He prepared great breakfasts and offered assistance with our travels. At first we were concerned because our room was a bit crowded with a private bathroom down the hall. But, we were hardly in the room except to sleep and the bathroom setup posed no problem. The bed was very comfy and we slept well. The water fountain outside the window did cause an extra trip or two to the bathroom. There is a nice living room area with a TV and a computer as well as an equipped kitchen and fridge that we put to use. The B&B location is a 2-minute walk to the Metro so travel was no problem, just 10 minutes or so to Old Montreal, and we purchased a 3-day unlimited pass so coming and going was very easy. It is also a short walk to the Botanical Gardens and Olympic Stadium and there are a grocery store and a couple of restaurants close by.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends