“Great for business trip!”

Days Inn Montreal East
Ranked #72 of 143 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I travel to Montreal quit often for work and at times it requires that I stay over night. I have happened to spend the night over here and was pleasantly surprised. The room felt like it was recently renovated which was great. The furniture and carpeting was well maintained. I was able to work thanks to their Wi-FI that was really fast. Once I was done working I got a good night rest. The breakfast was fresh as opposed to the other budget hotels you would stay at. All in all it was a great place to stay specially when you have a budget you need to stick too. On a plus side the high way is right next to hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
HJMontreal, General Manager at Days Inn Montreal East, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Traveler,

Thank you again for staying with us and for taking the time to share your 4 star approval of your stay with us. We have indeed been in the process of renovating our rooms and are glad to see that our efforts were able to meet your expectation and then some. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff.

Daniel Lanctôt
Howard Johnson Montreal

Reviewed 7 November 2013

My wife and I along with our daughter spent 3 nights at the Howard Johnson Montreal while we were in the city for a Judo event. The hotel is set amongst other business and the road/address is actually a service road that runs alongside the hwy 40. The hotel is nothing fancy but the rooms are clean and will offer all the basics for a reasonable price along with free parking onsite. The staff we encountered was all very friendly and the front desk staff was able to speak both French and English with ease. The hotel from the front has been updated and being alongside a major highway does not offer much of a view but rooms on the back of the facility will look out onto a quiet residential neighbourhood.

When you get off onto Metropolitan Blvd you need to be aware that the 40 runs down the middle and Metropolitan Blvd actually runs parallel to the highway on both sides as one way streets to match the direction of the highway traffic flow. So depending on which direction you are travelling when you get off the highway you may be on the opposite side from the hotel so you may need to take a ramp to cross over hwy 40 to allow you access to the one way road the hotel driveway is connected.

We booked into a 2 Queen Bed room and upon checking in the woman working the front desk upgraded us to a deluxe 2 queen bed room since we were staying for 3 nights. The Deluxe room provided the 2 queen beds plus a pull out sofa couch in the room. There was a desk and office chair in one corner and a night stand between the beds. Just inside the door there was the door to the bathroom with a sink, flush and tub/shower in a good size bathroom. As well opposite the bathroom was an area that had a 2nd sink/counter area plus a wall mounted hair dryer. Also in this area of the 2nd sink you will find a mini fridge, coffee maker and shelves to store some items or to hang your coat. Every day that replace the 2 bottles of water they leave in the room. One of the things that jump out to us was there is not dresser drawers in this room as on option to put your clothes away so you will have to live out of your suitcase which is not a big deal. Another strange thing is the room did not have a clock radio beside the bed so we relied on our smart phones to tell the time or set as our alarm clock but you can call the front desk to set up a wakeup call. The free wifi we found worked well during most of our stay with times our daughter would be using her Ipod to watch videos and we would be using our tablets to look up info. The Flat Screen TV mounted on the wall provided a good selection of channels with both French and English channels. They do not have a pool onsite so if you have young kids that could be an issue.

Daily breakfast was included with the rate which comprised of the basic cereal, toast, waffle machine, coffee/tea and juice plus some fresh fruit. When checking in they would ask how many are staying in the room and will give you tickets to redeem in the morning for breakfast. The area is also a restaurant that is run by a separate company so you do have the choice of having lunch of supper at the hotel but other than breakfast is being included you have to pay for anything else you eat in the restaurant. This area is licensed so you can have a drink if you desire. The food in the restaurant was fair to ok at best but if you ask at the front desk they can give you list or eateries close to the hotel so I recommend going out to eat.

For us this hotel was great for our needs as we were going to a judo event near the site of the 76 Olympics and the hotel is about 10 mins from the Olympic park which is where Olympic Stadium, the soccer field for the Montreal Impact and other sport facilities are located plus a movie theater is on the grounds. The Olympic Park area which is close to the hotel also offers a subway stop so if you are looking to go into the city I recommend driving to this area and using the subway to move around the city. Parking will be about $15 for the day here and you can avoid a lot of the Montreal traffic and high parking rates in the city.

Overall we would stay here again as it was clean, the staff was friendly and it was convenient to park and use the subway system.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Pweb44
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I am surprised about all the negative reviews of this place. Maybe I lucked out with my room?
The Hotel is really a motel in a very tricky little location on a one way road beside the freeway in the outskirts of Montreal. The location (lack of public transport) and finding the hotel is probably the biggest negative.

The best benefit.... free parking and about a ten minute drive from a metro stop if you don't feel like paying for parking in Montreal and getting lost.

The lobby is clean and staff were great.
Free breakfast I will give a descent rating as you could make your own waffles but otherwise standard continental.
The room appeared to be completely renovated and clean. Even the carpet looked new. I didn't see any bugs, dust or dirt. The room was also quiet.
Bed was clean & comfortable and linens were fine.
Descent tv with several cable channels and not all in French.
The room had AC although it seemed to be more difficult than it should have been to keep the room at a comfortable temperature.
Bathroom was pristine with a stand up only shower and clean linens.

Overall I would definitely stay here again it is far better accommodation than what is offered in the city center at the same price. Plus this hotel has free parking which appears to be a $10-$30 value per day for Montreal depending on where a car is parked.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amber1027
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I'm on the last night of a 12 night stay for business, and can't wait to leave. My company was CHEAP to put me up here! Only good thing, and I mean, the only good thing about this place, is the staff...for the most part. 5/12 days, I did not have hot water, and when I called the front desk, was told it was because my neighbors have used all the hot water...how is that my problem? I guess it is. Sorry work...you'll have to wait as my neighbors have used all my hot water and I can't shower until later. I was visited by a cockroach who explored my toiletry bag. I was excited about 9 possible wifi connections...turns out I was only able to access three of them, ALL of which were unusable during peak times...oh wait...that's the only time I wasn't working...so...no wifi. Breakfast was terrible...old rotting fruit...stale pastries...burned coffee...watered down sugar-rich 'juices'. And one gentlemen at the front desk didn't have time for a simple query when I called, and told me to call back later, when he wasn't busy. TV quality is terrible...potentially even stealing cable from somewhere else. Do NOT stay here. Howard Johnson has fallen far from the mediocrity it once was.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Christopher B
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The room was clean and the bathroom was fine. Room had a queen sized bed, two night stands, small table with two chairs, flat screen television (channels in French and English), and a small fridge. Not easy to find - it is on a road right next to the highway. The flowers outside were pretty. It is in an area that is commercial and light industrial. Did not see any other hotels or motels nearby. Did not see any restaurants to walk to from the motel. The free breakfast at the motel was 2 types of cereal, 3 juices from a machine (orange, grape, and apple), coffee, tea, pastries, and a bowl of apples. There are lots of restaurants about 10 minute drive from the motel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bagspacked123
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This ONE Star MOTEL needs major FUMIGATION, It has more bugs than the rain Forrest !!!!
Staff is great , but renovations didn't eliminate infestation of BUGS. Cockroaches , Spiders, Carpet beetles. Location can be easily missed of not familiar with area.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Rafooly
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Average hotel...though clean and renovated recently, the room lacks character...we stayed for 9 nights while visiting family and had breakfast only once at the hotel.

It was such a minimalistic affair...like a big joke. A coffee machine and some stale croissants and a staff with attitudes to match that as well.

This was our first time in HOJO and we will never ever choose them again..

• Stayed: May 2013