“Nice hotel strongly recommend”

Hotel Star Montreal
Ranked #109 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice hotel strongly recommend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

What a wonderful stay I recently had. The room where great. Location perfect
Front desk staff was warm and helpful. Breakfast was great loved the banana bread
Would highly recommend this hotel. Walking close to downtown great bars good restaurants

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Grenoble, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

The money to value ration is good. However the owners are not professionals and unfortunately you can figure this out quite soon. The breakfast quality is below standard and the breakfast room cannot fit more than 4 people.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Paul M

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Nice owners, very friendly and helpful.
Hotel stay Centre Ville is well located (bars, restaurants, cafes) but also very close to the gay scene.
The room are not very spacious but very clean. If you are in Montreal for a few nights, I'd definitely recommand this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank homelolo
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

I attempted to cancel a booking I had made with these owners as per my booking agreement which was permissible through hostelbookers, the agency that had made the booking. Cancellation policy stated that I had to contact the owners to cancel the booking. The owners of Hotel Stay Centre Ville refused to honor the terms of the booking agreement and actually misled me. When I attempted by telephone to request cancellation, these individuals would hang up on me, not return my voice mail messages, screen and avoid my calls, and make excuses that they were busy, then put me on hold and hang up on me. I eventually had to ask hostelbookers to intervene on my behalf, which they did. The owner characters that run this place are unprofessional, arrogant, rude, self serving, and unscrupulous. There are better properties in the Montreal area for your vacation needs if you value respect, honesty, professionalism, and peace of mind. Avoid, avoid this place!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank 966John
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Very clean and friendly staff. Be aware that there isn't someone at the desk all the time, have their number on hand when you arrive. I had to call to be let in to the lobby as the clerk was cleaning the kitchen when I arrived and didn't hear the doorbell.
I found the bed very firm and the pillow lacking and the rooms are small...but that said, there is a fridge, tv and shower - really didn't need much more - we were only there at night. Kitchen and laundry on-site also.

It is next to a metro stop and within walking distance of all the main areas, Old Montreal, Mont-Royal, latin quarter, china town. Lots of great restaurants nearby too.

I would stay here again, I would just bring my own pillow :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Huntington, Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

Ok, I need to start this review with the caveat that I'd just come off a transcontinental flight and I was tired, so a little less happy with small irritations than normal. We arrived at about 4:30pm and had gotten pretty lost getting there (heads up that Montreal roads are a mess right now and every major on and off ramp to this hotel from the airport is closed. We had a GPS, but we still had trouble finding a viable route). We arrived and no one answered the door after repeated rings for about 5 mins. I would have left then if I hadn't already paid for the room from hotels.com. The receptionist apologized because she was upstairs and couldn't hear the door bell ringing (maybe this could be fixed with a repeater? Not sure how those things work.) We checked in and I was a little daunted by the steep staircase up to the third floor because I'm pregnant, but it normally would be no big deal. Heads up if you have difficulty with stairs - this is NOT the hotel for you. There's no elevator. The room was small, but clean. My biggest complaint was that the A/C is central so it's controlled by the owner, which was not at my preferred temp. Also the room we were in (8) had a lot of lights that didn't work which was a little annoying but not a huge deal. The bed was small (a double) but comfortable and I was so tired I slept through the crazy night outside though there was quite a lot of noise from the street (it was a friday night). This is a section of town more suited to bar hopping and partying than I was aware of, but there are a lot of places to eat and it was festive! We skipped out on breakfast because it started too late (8:30). A few other warnings...I knew there was parking but I wasn't aware it was 2 blocks away in a public lot and $20/night. That was a bummer. Also, when we arrived, we parked next to the door so I didn't have to walk too far, and in the five minutes it took my husband to walk our suitcases up to our room and I came down to move the car we got a parking ticket for $52! There is a sign in front of the hotel saying 15 min parking for the hotel, but there was always a car in that spot (sometimes for more than an hour) so it wasn't all that helpful. It really put a damper on the end of our vacation especially after we learned we had to pay the $20 parking fee. So what started out as a $100 night turned into a $170 night which was far less of a value. I still give it an average rating because the room was decent even if the hotel itself is a bit run down and I can't blame the hotel staff for the parking ticket though it did seem a bit harsh for the five minutes a pregnant woman needed to unload her bags.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ctedesco
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

This is a nice privately owned hotel, run by David & Giovanni; the rooms are small, but very clean, great shower, good breakfast, a very good location to walk or to take the metro. The area is full of cafes, pubs, and restaurants. If we are in Montreal again, will definitely book it again. An extremely good value for money, but make sure you arrive after 4:30 PM, the hotel's reception is only open in the evening, but that has some advantages, with the key code, after you book the hotel, you have an access to the hotel & your room at any time. The breakfast room is also tiny, the breakfast time is from 8-10am, so you may miss it - if you have to leave early. The hotel reminds me of some small private hotels in Amsterdam; clean rooms, good breakfast with fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee, bagels. 2 great restaurants (Be Bap = Korean), and a small Vietnamese on the same street with Bring Your Own Wine. IGA supermarket & secure underground parking very close...

Room Tip: Note the check-in time; after 4:30pm; rooms facing the back are more quiet.