“Great value for this price”

Hotel Star Montreal
Ranked #108 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great value for this price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel shortly before our trip via hotels.com
The service was great; we needed a print out for the Formula 1 and could do this ourselves at front desk. WiFi was also perfect: 4 codes per room = 4 devices. Extra night costed us only 50$

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Be very careful. Those running this hotel are rude and never around to serve you. The breakfast includes a bin of stale croissants and peanut butter, and the mugs are dirty. They overcharge your bill and the total tax is not 18.47% (3.5% city tax) it is actually over 22%! This is a crime. You will be charged more than what you expect. They do not give you a paper invoice either. Don't bother complaining because they just deny everything you tell them and are arrogant. The owner claims all hotels in Montreal charge the same tax (not 3.5%). This is illegal. All my friends had to deal with the same issues. I spoke to others at the hotel and they were all *very* disappointed. Shared bathrooms are disgusting and the drains are plugged.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel the value is not worth the experience by any means. In the end they over charge yo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Alan N

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

I bought from teambuy a night at the hotel
and I called a lot of times before anybody had answered me then I tryed to do a reservation for the weekend and every thing was full for 2 month I wasnt able to reserv, they sold too many tickets more they they were able to handle I tryed to talk to them and explain so that I can use the ticket as soon as they have place but my ticket was expiring and they said they dont care that its not there problem so I ended up loosing my money ill never stay or recommend no one to stay in this hotel

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank eduard_k89
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I am an architect and I came in for the annual conference in Montreal. I pre-paid the 3-nights stay two weeks in advance. I arrived late at night just before midnight. The hotel door was closed. I tried to ring the door bell, knock on the door and finally call their reception - no response. I ended up sleeping in my car that night. The following day I tried contacting the hotel 3 times with no success. later that day I received an email from booking.com that my booking has been cancelled for no-show and that the full amount of my reservation was charged as a penalty! I couldn't find another hotel as there was a hockey game in town and all rooms were booked.

The hotel refused to discuss it with me and people at booking.com were totally useless in helping me out. This is a scam setup between both the hotel and booking.com.

FIND ANOTHER HOTEL. STAY AWAY FROM HOTEL STAY! DO NOT USE BOOKING.COM!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank Pawel F
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Originally, I booked their sister property called Hotel Stay Saint Denis, but when I arrived I found out that my reservation was changed to Centre Ville while I was on the flight. Having arrived at the Centre Ville, I was told that instead of the studio with a kitchenette I was getting a small room. Trying to see the manager was hard, as most of the time there was no one at the reception, only a number to call in emergency without any phone in sight. When I finally managed to catch the owner, he said that it was my fault that I didn't check my e-mail for any changes at the airport, and that I should be appreciative that my reservation was not cancelled completely. No comment!

In regards to the room, the toilet flush wasn't working, the paper roll was broken and it was cleaned only once in 3 days. Horror story, not a trip...

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Tina D
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

It was nice to find a two-bedroom apartment in downtown Montreal for less than $100 total/night, so my friend and I can snore loudly without waking each other up! Another friend slept in the sofa in the living room. Street parking in front of the apartment was free from ~9 p.m. to 9 a.m. There was a full kitchen with fridge and balcony. Wifi was fine and left a laptop in room without any problems.

The apartment did not have any telephones though! A phone is mandatory for any accommodation, even if only for emergency purposes.

You need to remember your access code to the front door of the building and your room door. There was no liquid soap left and the living room lamp did not work. Other people lived in the building so normal conversation and laughter at night was met with knocking by the owner/employee to keep it down.

Overall, I would stay here again, especially if I'm going with my family as we like two separate bedrooms.

Room Tip: I like the two-bedroom apartment option better than the regular hotel rooms, but the apartments are...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank eBuddy99
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

The hotel is more like a hostel. Our room's bathroom was not cleaned (there were hair on the floor when we arrived). The rooms also do not have a thermostat so the temperature is whatever the hotel managements sets it to be. Our room was ridiculously hot and we had to open windows, which is not a great thing to do when it is below freezing. Also the wifi was horrible because you can only connect one device at a time. I will however say that the breakfast was decent and the staff was pleasant.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple