“Poolside Romance”

Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal
Ranked #16 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 9 July 2012

A weekend getaway from New York City is often appreciated, and my girlfriend and I found this hotel to be quite charming, with a sophisticated touch.

The outdoor pool was our main reason to book this hotel. It's small, but well designed, and a nice relaxing place to get some sun. They're only 4 good poolside spots to grab, so hit the pool early if you want to get some sun! The sun disappears around 2pm behind the hotel in the summer, but it's a great place to tan while the sun is out. The pool is clean, and quiet...Feels exclusive when you are there.

We opted for the larger, Classic King Room, for it's larger bathtub. This hotel room, must've been designed with the couple in mind...the romantic couple in mind! The bathtub, and shower, are both big enough for two. I'm a tall guy, at 6'4", so a large bathtub is always a plus. Dual sinks in the bathroom, and even a sliding door that opens into the main bedroom area. There's not much bathroom privacy, considering you'll hear everything your partner is doing. However in the bedroom, the beds are really comfortable! One could lay in these beds all day, and believe me I tried.

The Hotel Staff was excellent. The Concierge found us last minute reservations for dinner on a Saturday night at 7:00pm. That was a great help! The downstairs bar/restaurant offers great food, and the bartenders are attractive, friendly, and helpful, offering great recommendations from the menu. On the morning of checkout, the concierge even offered to print directions to the airport for me.

My only complaint was to one particular employee. While my girlfriend and I were in the pool, he came to inquire what our room number was. I assumed he was going to offer us a bottle of champagne! However now I think he was just checking to see if we were actual "paying" hotel guests using the pool. Who knows. We had a great time anyhow, and we'll be back.

Ciao!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Fantastic location, and superior comfort in this boutique-style hotel. Felt like I was staying in a spa. Love the decor, and all amenities are top-notch. Pool is small but so very stylish.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We were in Montreal for the international jazz festival with our two adult children. Le St. Martin was in a perfect location, within walking distance to the festival but away from noisy crowds. The staff was was friendly, helpful and engaging. Our rooms were comfortable, well-appointed and well kept. When we had a few problems - a tub that didn't drain properly, a Keurig that didn't work - they were very prompt to correct the situation. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: One oddity: Bathroom interiors are visible from the bedroom area through adjustable shutters. For p...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2012

My husband and I just got back from the St. Martin in Montreal. It's a nice hotel in the downtown area, very convenient location. We drove and didn't realize there are parking lots all around the hotel which I think are cheaper. The hotel has valet service for $29/night, very expensive. Once inside, we were greeted right away and given our room keys. They explained that you need to swipe your room key in front of the elevator sensors to use the elevator, as well as in front of your door to get in your room. The elevator thing was a little ridiculous. I'm not sure if this is a security measure b/c they've had problems, or what. Our room was very large and clean. The bed was great and so was the shower. The pool is very small and my husband was very disappointed as it only gets sun for a couple hours in the morning. It's located on the second floor on the side of the building. We didn't end up using it as it was shady when we would've liked to go in. We didn't eat at the hotel either as the prices were crazy. I think this place was a little too fancy for us, but all in all, a nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Frederic A, Director of Sales at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your post on TripAdvisor!
I'm happy you enjoyed our central location, the easy access to everything it provides, along with overall guest experience Le St-Martin offers.

Moreover, I understand you found the valet parking at 29$ rather expensive but, sadly, its pretty much the norm in downtown Montreal giving the land value and taxes. I too though parking was expensive in Montreal.. until I went to cities likes Toronto or New York!

Regarding the necesssity to use your key card in the elevator to access your floor, I am surprised you found this to be annoying. To be honest, the large majority of our guests enjoy the safety (and peace of mind) it provides. Basically, no one can access your floor unless he has a room there.
We also have some flexibility on how we can program the cards, should you have friends on other floor w van arrange to givethem access to your floor too. Just let us know!

Thanks again for staying at Le St-Martin, and we look forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Location - right in the middle of downtown, walking distance to everything, we didn't bother with the metro and just walked everywhere

Staff - friendly, helpful, funny, gave us free chocolates, spoke both languages

Room - clean, nice, but blinds dont close all the way, which defeats the purpose of a blackout blind

Hotel - nice pool area, opens late too, restuarant looks nice but didn't get a chance to eat there

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Just completed a 5 day stay in Le St Martin. We received a discounted rate thanks to an international conference but even so, the maintenance of the hotel is below par for a 4* hotel. In our original room, the lamp didn't work so we were told to turn on and off by pulling the plug!! The mattresses are terribly soft and so thick that the bedboard proved ineffective. The in-room coffee maker doesn't actually boil the water - so coffee/tea is undrinkable. When I requested an electric kettle, was told none exists. The final straw was the a/c not working, at which point we switched rooms. The bellboys are delightful, room cleaning mediocre and although 1 or 2 reception staff were excellent, the others were clueless.
Coffee in breakfast room mediocre, no fresh orange juice and service uncoordinated and inefficient.

Room Tip: 201 was good; stay away from 909
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank RaquelleA
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Le St-Martin for your recent stay in Montreal, and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.
I was a bit taken aback, and dissapointed to read you called us the "Faulty Towers" considering we are the newest luxury hotel in the city, and our building is less than 2 years old.
That being said, what matters is that we did not meet your expectations and please accept our apologies for this.

Our Keurig coffee machines (in-room) are amongst the high end options, and we wil have our maintenance staff ensure all units are working properly before new arrivals.

Regarding the A/C issue, despite our best efforts, units are not above temporary malfunctions and it appears you unfortunately had to suffer the inconvenience. I am happy our staff promply changed you rooms though.

Overall, its quite possible you simply had a string of bad luck during your stay at Le St-Martin as equipment is generally in very good order.
This doesn't change the fact your experience could have been much better, and we apologize for not delivering on it.

Please try us again I am confident it will change your perception of Le St-Martin,

Reviewed 3 July 2012

So many things to like about this beautiful, boutique-ish hotel. Great rooms with comfortable beds. Friendly, helpful, attentive staff. A great location close to everything, but a little bit removed from the bustle of Rue St. Catherine. Metro one block away. Very cool little bar off of the lobby. Great patio area with a (tiny) pool. Free Wi-fi. It's a bit pricey, but so are all of the nice hotels in Montreal. This was actually the most reasonable of the 4 star hotels on the weekend I went. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends