“Service, Management & Cleaniness Needs Improving”

Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal
Ranked #15 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Service, Management & Cleaniness Needs Improving”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

We arrived as a group of 50 and queued on the pavement, because the reception area is too small for more that 10 guests arriving or departing at once. We waited 2 hours for our room to be cleaned from previous occupants only to find splatters of facieses on the toilet seat (this was cleaned off the next day during the normal cleaning). Our luggage was lost in the hotel and was later found an hour later delivered to the wrong room. The management appeared less than effective and out of their depth for such an influx. The room itself was quite spacious and comfortable. The hotel is very convenient for the main shopping area and other major parts of the city.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joe9069
El Mostafa B, Manager at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear Mr. Joe9069,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to your arrival to the hotel on September 28th, 2013 with the group of 50 rooms 101 guests.

We at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your or our own expectations. As a testament to strive for perfection, we have taken steps to ensure that there will be no recurrence.

When the first bus arrived earlier the guests got disembarked the bus straight away, they seemed to not know in advance that our employees would be embarking onto the bus to give all the information about our hotels and services. As you mentioned lobby is not big enough to hold that many guests. Not knowing in advance which guests would be on the first bus arriving was a bit of a problem, I understand that it would be hard to know that information too far in advance since it was first come first serve for the guests embarking onto the bus in advance.

With some last minute room changes to try to accommodate guests there was some baggage mix up since certain rooms had been changed. Also with about 1/3 of the luggage tags having fallen off in the bus, it made the valet’s job much more difficult to identify the luggage. That`s why it took them much longer to bring the luggages up to the rooms on time.

Although these are the reasons you have experienced an unacceptable stay, please understand that I fully agree that they are not excusable.

I assure you that we are on the right track and continue to learn about our guests needs.
We are absolutely dedicated in assuring that all our staff be trained with the philosophy of personalized service. We are almost there but still need to work on dotting the “i” and crossing the “t”. I am confident that my team will succeed and that on your next visit you will be impressed with our hospitality.

Once again, please accept our apologies for this, and I hope you will understand our predicament and will return to Le St-Martin. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance,

Best Regards,

El Mostafa Boudraa
Directeur d`hébergement – Room Division Manager

elmostafa.boudraa@lestmartin.com
Téléphone – Phone 514 843 3000 ex. 3403
Télécopieur – Fax 514 843 3099
Sans frais – Toll free 877 843 3003
Le St-Martin Hôtel Particulier Centre-ville, 980, boul. de Maisonneuve Ouest, Montréal, Québec H3A 1M5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Arabic first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Spent two nights and it was a wonderful location. I walked to the hotel from the train station. Lots of neat things around the property. Staff was fairly accommodating. Rooms were clean. I had a nice fireplace that encouraged me to relax after a long business day. Big cozy couch in the lobby was too good to be true. Shopping near by was good also. A little on the pricey side but enjoyable just the same. I was there on a Sunday, Monday and there was little or no lines for the elevators or front desk.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We loved this hotel. The room was beautifully decorated and comfortable, we stayed here for 3 nights. Tried to book on our return trip to Montreal but it was booked out unfortunately. The foyer has a beautiful fireplace where you can relax in a comfortable lounge. Cafe breakfast was amazing - a la carte and more than you could ever eat. Would definitely recommend this hotel and the rates were very reasonable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I spent two nights here in october, it is in a great location near lots of different restaurants, pubs and bakeries. lots and lots of shopping, in he underground city if you are a hockey fan the Arena is with in walking distance. there are a couple of different metro stops and the grayline tour office is right on peel two blocks away. this could not be better situated. two down points of the hotel is the restaurant is very high end food so don't take your kids and the parking sucks, especially if you want to check out and leave your car for a couple of hours for some last minute shopping or a late breakfast. they will charge you 17$ for late check out of your car. the is on top of the 29$ per day that they charge per day. but other thank that its a very good boutique hotel.

Room Tip: if you aren't' going to need your car park on peel the rates are better.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Glampurrrr
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Small hotel trying to be big, cannot cope with guest arriving in bulk, had to carry own hand luggage up the stairs as a very long queue for the lifts. Breakfast, well what a shamble, we stayed at this hotel after a cruise, so part of a package, so we were given a special menu, if we chose two eggs for example we were not entitled to cereal or juice unless we paid extra and they cannot make a cup of tea. The staff were run off their feet and were not happy , when I asked for tea bags I was told , only two allowed per day per room, a fellow guest found they bathroom loo had been left in a dreadful state and had not been cleaned on their arrival and the staff have up to seven in the evening to clean rooms , not good

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank surreyBrenda
Frederic A, Responsable commercial at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us at Le St-Martin Montreal, and sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.
We are terribly sorry to read that, overall, you were dissapointed with your stay amongst us.

If we are indeed a boutique style hotel of limited size, we also remember your group arrival and agree that there were may things we (and the third party partner thant handled your group) could have done differently to better please you, our common client.

There was a miscommunication at the moment of the group check-in that resulted a bit of a chaoctic arrival experience and, for this we deeply apologize.
To briefly go in details, we hadplanned for your whole group to arrive in smaller buses that would allow us to manage bags and room allocation better, but, due to a change of plas by the third party in question you all arrived at the same time.

You are correct in stating we have a small lobby, and only two elevators so we sadly could not cope with over 100 guests arriving at the same time and manage the luggages as efficiently as we would have hoped. Once again, our apologies for not meeting your expectations.
Rest assured we have learned alot from this experience and will ensure such a situation does not happen again.

Regarding the breakfast, I sympathise and understand your frustration. That being said, due to size of your group (over 100 guests) our restaurant had to offer fixed menus (the Full American Breakfast offered) and that same menu was requested by the third party.

In respect to the dirty bathroom, we had pre-registered the group and given the keys to the tour leader along with a list of rooms that were ready right away and some that were not fully inspected yet. Sadly the tour leader immediately distributed the room keys to all the guests and, as everyone whent to their room, its possible a few of them were not fully cleaned.
From a guest standpoint, its certainly unacceptable and I also offer my apologies for this.

We, at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier, specialize in offering unique and personalized guest experiencce thus I agree we might not have been a perfect fit for your large group.

Once again, I thank you for staying with us and apogize of behalf of our entire staff if you were dissapointed with the experience.

Best,
Saint John, New Brunswick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

This hotel is very nice and centrally located.

When i checked in around 8:00 pm, the fist key they gave me opened the door to a room which already had suitcases on the beds. So I went back down to the check-in area and they blamed the mix-up on a new employee. They then gave me a key to another room and assured me that it was vacant. However when I opened the door, a woman who was brushing her teeth in the bathroom screamed at me. After apologizing for the intrusion, down I go again to the check-in area.

When they saw me coming back with my luggage, they could tell that I was not impressed. I told (not asked) them that they were now going to upgrade me to their best room, which they immediately agreed to without argument.

I have to say that this room was wonderful and very quiet. It's a shame I was only there for one night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GISguy
Longueuil, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed in October/13. We left our luggage at the front desk as we were early and our room was not yet ready. It was tagged by front dest staff and we were told someone would come and store it until our return. After 10 minutes, it was still right there in the lobby and we wouldn't leave it there. I was again told someone would come store it. It would be foolish to walk away and leave the bags there so I insisted that she at least put them behind the front desk, which she did with an air like I was bothering her. Obviously no one came to pick them up as they were still right where she put them behind the front when we returned hours later.

We had to call the front desk a few times for missing room provisions and also to report that the TV in the bathroom was not working. It might have been just a dead battery in the remote. We called twice and no one responded to the repair call.

At breakfast, we found the food delightful. One drawback was a waitresses had her pens clipped and hanging out of the armpit of her sleeveless dress. Even though we always use our own pens when signing in public, we found this quite distasteful to see in a restaurant.

The hotel location is wonderful for downtown and the metro is right next door. The "verriere" room was fine, the windows are great but the curtains do not close over the blinds to darken the room for sleep from outside light fixtures and morning sun.

Valet parking staff was professional and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple