“In the middle of it all!”

Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal
Ranked #17 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
New York
“In the middle of it all!”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I was in Montreal this past weekend to see Telus Fire on Ice and stayed at St Martin. This boutique hotel is well equipped with all the amenities you need for a relaxing long weekend stay. We were on the 12th Floor and had no problems with noise, smell, or whatsoever. It is also a convenient block away from Rue Catherine where all the shops are located and literally across the street from Metro Station Peel. The bed was very comfy with down comforters and the bathroom shower worked very well. Little perks like a hot chocolate/coffee maker in the main lobby, the in-room Keurig machine and daily bottles of water made life a little easier on the cold wintry days. The only inconvenience I had was parking in which your car must be valet. And if you happen to be there at a busy time, the 3 spots where you can leave your car to be valet fills up and you have to constantly circle around the block until a spot opens up. Thankfully this only happened to us once upon check-in. Will definitely recommend to others who plan on visiting Montreal for a short trip.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Beth M, Manager at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Le St-Martin, and sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community!

I`m so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and would recommend us to your friends.

I apologize for the inconvenience of the space we have for the valet parking, i know that it can get quite packed during peak check in and check out times. We do try our best to move the cars into the garage as fast as possible to make room for our guests.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we hope to see you back at Le St Martin Hotel Particulier soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and I stayed four nights at the Le St-Martin Hotel. The location was great-- half a block away from the Peel Metro Station and a block from all the shops and mediocre restaurants on St. Catherine.

The "classic" room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. We appreciated the free wifi, the complimentary bottled water and the Keurig coffee machine. I am not quite sure what the fuss is about the bathrooms-- the bathroom wall facing the room was made of glass with wooden slats that could be left open (letting others in the room peek at you as you use the bathroom) or closed for more privacy.

As for some of the negatives-- the lobby is quite small so if you are waiting for someone, you may not have a place to sit or even stand, when you check in, they place a large hold on your credit card (almost double the cost of the room) for any incidentals or damage you may incur during your stay, and housekeeping never replenished our bathroom amenities. While none of these things are deal breakers in any way, I do not feel particularly inclined to stay at the St. Martin again should I return to Montreal.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunshine_d
Beth M, Manager at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

I`m sorry to hear that you do not feel inclined to return to our hotel. Regarding some of the negative aspects, we do understand that our lobby is quite small. We are a boutique hotel therefore the lobby is usually quiet, however often during peak check in and check out times the lobby can fill up.
I know it seems as though we place a hefty hold on your credit card, an extra 150$ per night, we apologize for this. This is because there are mini bars in each room, movies can be rented, there is room service and restaurant bills from our restaurant L`Aromate that can all be billed to your room. These potential charges are all covered by that 150$ / night of incidentals we hold upon check in.

I am also sorry to hear about your bathroom amenities not being replenished, we will definitely discuss this issue with housekeeping and try to prevent it from happening again in the future.

Thank you again for sharing you experience with us and we greatly appreciate your feedback.
Reviewed 30 December 2013

A friend and I have been staying for a 3-day trip (we've got one more night left), and for what we need, this place has been perfect. We got a travelzoo deal that included parking, which was a huge bonus, because overnight parking can be expensive here. The location is fantastic and convenient to everything.

The room is very clean and very comfortable, with free bottled water and coffee, a nice touch. Our first night must have been a very busy one (another traveler referenced elevator trouble that same night), with lots of check ins-outs, and the following day housekeeping didn't have time to get to our room until around 5 pm. That was not a big deal to us, as we were out all day, and they did come by a short while later with more complimentary water/soda/snacks. We didn't have a fireplace in the room, but there is a very cool see-through shower wall (which can be blocked with louvered doors if you desire), and which does bring some much-needed light into the bathroom. That is really my only fault with the room itself, is the light in the bathroom, if you're trying to put on makeup, etc. Otherwise, the beds and pillows are super comfy, towels very nice as well.

We didn't try any of the hotel services (room service, laundry), so can't speak to that, other than the valet, which was surprisingly quick considering the number of people checking in and out (being the holiday week). The staff that we interacted with were very helpful, we even forgot an item in the car and the valet went back and got it for us and brought it to our room!

I would definitely return here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Beth M, Manager at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to read that you greatly enjoyed your stay, and would definitely come back!

I`m happy to hear about our speedy valets, i will definitely let them know about your good comments.
I understand about the issue with the lighting in the washroom, we are doing our best to have this changed.

I would like to thank you again for sharing your comments with us and we look forward to hosting you again soon!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

I'm currently staying at the St Martin for 9 days, so I thought I'd write a review while everything is fresh.

I like the hotel in general, and would stay here again, but there are some very irritating limitations that may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

Pros:
Stylish, comfortable rooms.
Very comfortable bed. The perfect combination of soft but still supportive
Nice bathroom
Electric fireplace in the room is a nice touch on a Winter's night.
Fresh pears in the hallways
Free water and coffee
Fantastic location near all the shopping and nightlife.

Irritating cons:
Very limited room service hours (no lunch at all during the week)
Very limited breakfast menu (and they got the order wrong)
PPV movie system has been broken for 5 days and counting
Ice is only available on the Mezzanine, so any time I want ice I need to go down 10 floors (see elevator note below)
Elevators can be monopolized by the employees. There are two elevators. Last night I waited for 20 minutes for an elevator, then when it opened there was an employee collecting garbage from each floor, manually locking out the elevator with a key. He refused to let me ride down with him and told me to take the other elevator, but that one was broken. I was trapped on the 10th floor. I called the front desk and they just said they'd look into it. After an hour, the one elevator was working again, but it was an extremely frustrating situation to say the least.
The bed is a platform but the mattress is inside, exposing some very sharp corners that I was constantly banging in to.
The cutoff time for dropping your laundry at the front desk is ridiculously early (8:30am) to have it back the same day. No express service is offered. I dropped mine off at 9:00am and had to wait a day. I called at 5:00pm the next day as I still hadn't gotten mine back and she said that the valet would need to go to the shop to get it. If I hadn't called, who knows how long it would be before I got it back.

In summary, this is a good value hotel in a great location, trying very hard to be a 4 star hotel, but falling short primarily due to service issues. I hope they can get them straightened out as it's a beautiful hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank olwick
Beth M, Manager at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Mr Olwick,

I am delighted to read that you overall enjoyed your stay, and would come back!

I am glad to read that you enjoyed almost everything about the rooms, and that the location of our hotel suited you.

Unfortunately since we are a smaller hotel, the restaurant only serves room service for breakfast and dinner since those are the busier times.
I`m sorry to hear about the movie system, did you happen to call the front desk about this issue? Normally it`s an easy fix and we can send someone from maintenance straight away.
I apologize for the elevator situation, I will definitely speak to the department that takes care of that. The only reason I can think of that he would not let you ride with him in the elevator is that because he was taking down garbage`s he did not want any guests to have to deal with the smell on the way down to the garage.

We do not often receive requests to have faster delivery on dry cleaning, I’m sorry to hear that you had to wait an extra day to receive your dry cleaning. Normally this is not the case, but thank you for letting us know and we will look further into issues like this with the dry cleaning company we use.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

If you want to stay at a hotel were the doorman hits the button to open the door it gets stuck and just stares at it meanwhile you are lugging luggage and it is snowing and blowing in your face then stay here.

Next, the reception was as warm as it is outside and its -19C elsewhere in Montreal people are friendly and warm.

Finally, I get to my none smoking room and there is a cigarette burn there so I called the front desk and they were non-chalant about it and said "no problem." I asked for the manager because I know how things can be no problem and then you have a charge on your bill. I asked for a hotel staff to come up and he was just as aloof about the whole situation and did not introduce himself, I had to ask for his name.

No professionalism at all and lastely, customer service.

Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere I know I will next year.

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank MsTravel27
El Mostafa B, Manager at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier Montreal, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Ms. Travel27,
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to your arrival to the hotel on December 15, 2013.
We at Le St-Martin Hotel Particulier take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations.
We have taken steps to ensure that there will be no recurrence. Unfortunately the valet agent who checked you in could not open the door properly because of same technical problem but he could use the revolving door. I am surprised about the cigarette burn in the room because normally our hotel is 100% non smoking and there is no raison for our employees at the front desk to be clod like that. A warm welcome should be the first contact with our guests.
Although these are the reasons you have experienced an unacceptable stay, please understand that I fully agree that they are not excusable.
I assure you that we are on the right track and continue to learn about our guests needs. We are absolutely dedicated in assuring that all our staff be trained with the philosophy of personalized service. I am confident that my team will succeed and that on your next visit you will be impressed with our hospitality.

Please I would like to call you and discuss your concern and get more information about this situation and get it resolved.
Thanks you for choosing Le St-Martin, and please let me know where I can call you.
Best Regards,