“Our Best Meal in Montreal”
Review of Bistro Duo.D - CLOSED

Bistro Duo.D
Price range: US$16 - US$28
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Description: Authentique bistro de quartier. Ambiance conviviale. Des produits vrais et fais maison. Votre meilleur ami epicurien et sa femme vous recoivent chez eux pour une bonne bouffe.
Reviewed 3 August 2012

My wife and I were in Montreal this past June and we had the pleasure of having our last dinner at Duo.D. All I can say is wow. I do not give many 5's and that is because I have a score to separate the exceptionally exceptional from all the rest.

This place is run by a husband and wife team .. literally. There was no other staff. The husband cooks and does dishes and the wife was waiting tables. Every part of our meal was exceptional. The service was friendly. Even though she was the only front-end employee, you never felt like she was hurried when she was at your table. She took her time and answered our questions.

The food, from the complimentary appetizer bite to the appetizer to the main course to dessert was executed with near perfection. I had their foie gras appetizer, which was served with little crackers and a fig preparation. It was like butter and jelly on toast, only 10000 times better. For dinner, I had the duck comfit. Again, it was perfect. Moist, hot, tender, well-seasoned, and just plain delicious. For desert, I had the creme brule, which set a new standard for that particular dessert.

If you are in Montreal, ignore what the books say about what the best restaurant is. This was is #1 on Trip Advisor for a good reason. If you do not eat here, you are only cheating yourself and you will forever live with the regret on missing out on what would have been your best meal in a city known for great meals.

2  Thank TheNJBen

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Bistro Duo is a charming little restaurant with many positives. The small menu assures freshness of ingredient which is simple but tasty and well-prepared, and the prices are very reasonable and portions are correct. The tables are nicely spaced, and with the high ceilings avoid unwanted noise. The things that really bothers me is the very unacceptable wine list which is both overpriced and lacks quality. Seeing the bottle of Listel next to me made me cry as I wouldn't use that stuff to clean my floors with let alone drink. Still, I have to give it four stars as there is not too much else wrong with the restaurant, service and atmosphere.

I recommend you buy wine by the glass if needed, otherwise plan for an after dinner drink elsewhere.

1  Thank Dreverends
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Great food and great service. We had duck and fish, both were very good. The restaurant decor is simple (not pretentious) and service is very personable. Will go back again.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

We dined here upon the recommendation of other TripAdvisor reviewers and were not disappointed. Enjoyed delicious foie gras and roasted duck, among other items. The restaurant is truly a 2-person show, with the husband cooking in an open kitchen and the wife serving all the patrons. She has a delightful personality, and we loved her wit and engaging laughter! The restaurant has about 8-10 tables and several people were turned away that evening (a weeknight), so reservations are definitely a must.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

A friend and I visited Bistro Duo D on Friday, July 20, 2012, thinking it was one of the many restaurants in Vieux Montreal. It actually is on the outskirts of the neighborhood, but it is the best mistake I've made in years.

Because we initially headed in the wrong direction, we arrived at the restaurant about 45 minutes after our reservation time. We called twice to let them know we were late and lost, but they held our reservation and gave us a nice table adjacent to the window.

Our hostess/server immediately brought us an appetizer of salmon (saumon fume'maison) as a gift of the house. Had I known how fantastic it was, I gladly would have ordered it.

I chose salade mesclun with a fabulous dressing and my friend opted for escargots, which she begrudgingly shared with me. We both ordered steak frites as our main dish. While I am not an expert at steak (or meat in general), this was one of the best steaks I've ever had, and at half the price of similar servings at New York steak houses. What set it apart was an incredible butter sauce -- it transformed an already tasty piece of meat into one of the most delicious dishes I've ever experienced.

Bistro Duo D has been described as cozy in some reviews, but I wouldn't put it in that category. However, the hostess/server/owner -- the wife of the chef -- makes this establishment as warm as any I've ever visited. She made us feel welcome, was attentive to our needs and made our visit a wonderful experience. I will definitely revisit this restaurant if i return to Montreal and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a reasonably-priced, delicious meal.